can you point me in the right direction for an entry level track bike?

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by steven113, Feb 7, 2010.

1. steven113

steven113 New Member

I have really been wanting to do some track days but I am hesitant to use my vfr. Even though I am sure it is capable I just dont feel it is the propor tool for the job especialy since it is my only bike and I would have a coniption if I wrecked it. I think I would have much more fun without the worry of dropping my vfr after spending a year building it. Living in northwest florida I have 2 tracks avalible (barber and jennings).

I have never done a track day so I see no need for a large displacement bike. I have been thinking along the lines of an SV,gsxr600,600rr,etc...Maybe even smaller. |If you were going to build a track only bike on a buget what platform would you recomend?

2. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Steven, Getting a track bike for the reasons you've mentioned are dead on. First things first,..... whats your budget. And,.. you may not know the answer to this yet, but how long do you think you'll be doing track days ?

Any of the bikes you've mentioned make great track bikes, and can be found for sale in track form for $3,000 and up. An SV would be a great starter track bike, but you might out grow it and want something faster. Still not a bad place to start because an SV wil teach you tecniquie.

Do a search on CL and Ebay for "track bike" and also search the classified section of the track clubs that will be hosting your events. You'll be $ ahead buying someones track bike that is already set up with plastics, upgraded suspension, brakes, etc.

3. steven113

steven113 New Member

I would be looking in the range of $3000. I have no interest in competitive racing, more of a weekend hobby. I am not opposed to building a wrecked bike, infact I would almost prefer it if it was cost effective.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Building off Tori:

A SV650 or any of the 600's are great. Also, if you can find one in stock form (i.e. the motor hasn't been dicked with trying to add ponies) the Aprilia RS250 and Yamaha 250 two-strokes are lethal track machines per the owners I've talked too.

Go to the WERA race forum and NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association. Look in the buying/ selling and their are plenty of bikes to choose from in your price range.

BZ

5. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Make sure that you look on the WERA and NESBA forums. There is a wealth of information and plethora of deals all around just between those two sites.

13x Forums - Powered by vBulletin

NESBA TrackTalk Forum

If I was going to do it on a budget, I would do an R6. I've seen so many of them on the track and found sooooo many parts for them cheap for when you go down. I think that the R6 has the track day market kinda cornered right now since it is the most popular there are a lot more parts.

6. steven113

steven113 New Member

Another thing I might add is that I am 5'10" about 165Lbs 32inch inseam (short torso and long limbs)

7. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Aside from stepping to a litre bike, i dont think there is one bike that is particularly "bigger" than the rest size wise.

Unless you come across a super cheap bike to build, i doubt you'll be able to build one for the $3000 mark. ( i tried ) - at least one that is decently setup for the track.

Meatloaf makes a good point about buying a bike that is better supported by the aftermarket. Its hard for me to find track type "goodies" for my F4i that i track. I think the R6, Gixxer 600/750 would all be great bikes. While the 250 two-strokes would be a blast, you wouldn't fit very well, and the maintenance may be more than your after for hobbiest use.

Try to find someones used trackbike that has as a minimum: Front and Rear Suspension work, Bodywork, Steel braided lines, other brake upgrades would be great too. Rear Sets may not be needed right away. Track stands are very handy, and if you can score some tire warmers you'll be safer, and putting in more fast laps instead of wasting 2-3 warming up your tires.

8. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I have been giving it some thought and looking around a bit lately thinking about a track bike too. I am pretty sold on the SV 650. Available cheap, decent power, light, a whole little subculture into them, lots of parts and swap outs. The WERA and NESBA forums always have some for sale, some already set up for your weight, practically turnkey.

Now if I could figure out where all the money to do everything I want to do is to come from.......

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I say go for an EX500 track bike. They are cheap, fast enough to have a good time, but you have to learn to ride well to make them fast, AND you get to ride in a less crowded class than the 600 crowd. Hell, another good track bike is an FZR400 but they are hard to find. The EX has been virtually the same for so long that you can get parts on the cheap just about anywhere. I like the SV650 but when I last looked, they were still too proud of them because everyone likes them so much. One other option is to vintage race. You get an old bike and fix it for a track bike and then you have to learn to ride compensating for the bike. That'll develop skills for you. There are tons of fun ways to go with it. Whatever you end up doing, let us know. For those of us who can't afford to get an extra bike for doing that kind of stuff, it is fun to read about.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with reg, the EX 500 is an excellent choice.......as is a Honda Hawk.

Attached Files:

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Lots of choices for sure.

As a side note, and not trying to piss in your cornflakes Tori, but if one can find a Aprilia RS250 cup bike that has had no engine mods, they are pretty bullet proof and reliable. I've talked with many two-stroke owners and former owners and they've all said the same thing. "Dick with the engine and it will turn into the usual two-stroke nightmare". If my 6'1" 180 lbs ass can fit on one then steven sure can LOL!

OK, no matter what you pick their are pros and cons.

The SV has a serious cult following with lots of parts avaliable.
    Same with the EX500. I guy who rides with NESBA started on an old race EX500. That was a neat little bike. He now has a 600 like Tori's.

S-man, the Hawk would be great, parts is the only issue.

I didn't think about it until now but I know of a great track bike. A 4th gen VFR LOL! The 97 works great! If you can find one for around 2000 grand then a little suspension work, clip-ons and raise the rear you got yourself a track bike.

They still make race plastics and parts are not scarce. I know it may be an odd recommendation, but from one VFR lover to another in makes sence in an odd sort of way. If all goes well with the 84 Ninja I am working on then the 97 will become 'track only'. Although I've never ridden a 5th gen I have to believe its somewhat similar to a 4th gen.

Just a thought.

BZ

12. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

As others have pointed out, it really depends on your budget. And also how big you are - there's no point in buying a CBR250RR if you weigh 120kg!

If you're considering a fairly recent model of bike, I 'd probably get a CBR600 or a GSXR600.

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Seeing you haven't raced before you need to learn first on how to take corners and why/how you do certain things in order to get around the track in a proficient manner. Using a smaller less powerful bike is the best for most in learning technique. With a less powerful bike you have to learn smoothness and how to carry your speed thru the corners. A bike like the CBR600 has a lot of power for a smaller bike. Not really a good thing for a novice. Not saying there are those few with talent that can handle it. There are several books by guys like Keith Code that you should also read and reread. Powerful bikes offer a disadvantage to novice riders. Again most not all. That is power management. The power if not controlled correctly will hinder your learning of taking corners. If applied wrong your crossed up or down! With a bike with less power you have less chance in crashing if you make a mistake using the power. You can run just as fast lap times, most instances, as the more power bikes with finesse, smoothness and know when to brake,apply power and entrance/exit corner strategy. Normally the less you crash the faster you should be able to learn. Yes you can learn what not to do after crashing, but it cost more all around. Learn the basics first, learn how to carry speed thru corners, learn how to be SMOOTH, learn how to be fast. When playing with powerful bikes you MUST also learn power management. Plus using a powerful bike may give you fast lap times because you can use power to over come some of you inadequacies of not being a smooth rider. That's until you come up against riders that are very smooth on fast bikes and you'll never get to that level unless you learn the basics correctly and how to apply them.

Good luck on your start of racing. Enjoy it, it's FUN, but respect it, it also can be a killer. Find someone good that will take you under their wing and show you the do's and don't. It makes learning easier and you become more confident faster.

14. Spike

Spike New Member

Ideally, start with a 250, like a Ninja 250 or an Aprilia 250. Your skills will progress much qucker than if you start with something bigger. You will be much smoother and capable than if you start with something larger. Buy it used, so you can sell it after a year or two after you have mastered it around the track and not lose too much money to depreciation. Then step up to a 500 or 600 for a couple of years till you move on to the liter bikes.

15. steven113

steven113 New Member

What is the price difference for the tires on the smaller bikes? I would think that the 180rear/120front that are on most all 600cc bikes might be cheaper than the oddball sizes for the smaller bikes. Although I will be new to the track I am not new to riding(15years on the street sportbike exp. most of it on 2 different gsxr600s)so even though I understand your point about starting with a very small bike to learn the basics I think I am still leaning towards the 500cc-650cc bikes and doing my best to use propor technique with instruction. Is this a bad idea, looking around there seems to be alot more 600cc bikes availible and in the same price range as the smaller bikes that I feel that I may out grow quickly or be more expensive to maintain.

16. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Then go with one of those if you feel comfortable. You may want to check the racing sanction news letters/web sites for bikes being sold. The rider may be moving up or out of racing. You can get some good bikes with racing parts on them already and most likely some spare parts. Depending on your pockets you may want to look at used/after market/racing parts pricing for the particular bikes your looking at. Something like Honda parts are cheaper the Suzie parts or what ever. Remember your going to crash. What parts will you need to keep the bike on the track, are they readily available and how many $$$$. Racing is nothing but a big hole to dump money in to. How big that hole gets is in your control.

17. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    I think some have gotten off track here..... He's NOT looking for a bike for racing. He wants a track bike. Something he'll probrably use maybe 6 times a year. Pretty much any of the bikes mentioned are going to be pleanty fine.

My comment about a 250 bring too small was in response to his concern for fitting on some bikes. I figure if he's concerned about it, then he's not the type to "want" to be scrunched up on a tiny bike. It wasn't a generalization stating that 180 lb. guys cant ride a 250.

Bubba, i hope your right about the 2 stroke 250's. Id love to have one, and the maintenance part of owning one has scared me from really getting too serious about one. I wish i knew more about them. There's an RS250 for sale around here that Reg and i found last nite. $3000. Im very temped......

18. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    The SV's take a 160 rear tire and they are normally less expensive than the 180's.

BZ

19. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Tori:

I've researched the two-stroke thing to death becasue like you I want one bad LOL!

For more information, here we go:

My mechanic races and started to race on a Yamaha two-stroke 250. John said that it ran great until he tweaked the engine. The it became the typical two-stroke nightmare. He burned out a cylinder during a race once and it would just quit for no apparent reason...more than once. Also, a DelDOT inspector who used to race with John had a Yamaha TZ250 too and I asked Donnie how it ran and he said "great, because I never screwed with the engine!" Donnie claimed he ran it every race weekend for two seasons and never had to replace the crank or anything. Donnie said the same thing as John too. If you try and get a few more HP out of a two-stroke they get very finicky and love to break down.

At the NESBA track days I've chatted with the two stroke owners and same thing. The guy who I screen printed (also named John LOL) his TZ250 used to be a race bike and has been tweaked. John has many stories of it dying on the track, before a session, whenever it wants to with no rhyme or reason. He jokes about bying an R6 so when the TZ dies he can go back out and not miss the whole day. A NESBA CR has an Aprilia RS250 and Mike said "stock engine man, she runs great".

Lastly, John (mechanic) said the APrilia RS250 Cup Bikes were the best for reliablity. He recommended it be brought in after a season and go over it but the two-strokes are easy to work on and he'd show me what needs to be done if anything. He claims with regular maintenance you should run all season with little to no problems and give her a check up at the end of the season all should be good.

I've talked with a few other two-stroke owners too and again, same story as above. But like any engine stuff does wear out. It just appears not as fast as some seem to think.

Tori, I hope if that RS is stock you buy it. I don't think you'll regret it. every two stroke owner I meet is loyal and fall in love with those angry weedeaters. And the WERA forum and other two strokers are always helping each other out.

My two cents brother.

BZ

20. betarace

betarace New Member

I would go after a 4-5 year old 600 - ZX636 perhaps or the SV650 - both are well supported in parts and mods, as well as being in the 2-3K range for an unloved example. Whatever you do, dont buy a stuntah. You can save some $$ buying one with a salvage title - bill of sale only. Just make sure you get a copy of the seller's drivers license etc in the unlikely event it is stolen if you are in a "bill of sale only" situation and run the VIN just to make sure. The 250s and 500s mentioned above will be frustrating on any track with a longish straight (VIR Full, Road Atlanta, Summit Main) and due to the smaller tire sizes you may be limited in decent rubber. SVs are a dime a dozen as are ZXs. Me, I like my VFR fine on the track