Can't figure out the noise if timing chain or cam chain

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Nony Pestejo, May 23, 2007.

1. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Hi! fellow member,

I asked my mechanic if what was the rattling sound like a vibrating chain in my engine (VF750f). Without opening it, he told me that the timing chain need to be replaced. Is it true that the timing chain can't be tighten or whatsoever since it is automatically adjusted by the engine? Is it really the timing chain that created the ratling sound or the cam chain?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks a lot,
    Nony

2. Ceptor1

Ceptor1 New Member

I have the same problem with my 84' 750. Originally I was told it was the cam chain tensioners. I later found that there was a recall on these bikes because not enough oil got to the top of the motor which damaged the cam lobes and cam chains. There are many after market topend oilers that are easy to install. However, once the damage is done the parts must be replaced. I've also heard stories of other parts making noises that it might be such as oil pump, timing chain, etc. Good Luck! Ride On!

3. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

The timing chain is the cam chain.

The cam chain is constantly adjusted by the tensioner and slippers.

You can replace the tensioners and slippers with updated models.
    [​IMG]

As was said before, once damage has been done to the cams - it cannot be fixed - parts must be replaced. An oil mod will prevent any more damage. Actually Honda engines will run with severely scored cams. You'll just be down a little power. Now if you have pits, I would HIGHLY recommend replacing the cams.

www.drp123.com - (contact us) is the only person I would buy an oil mod from. There are two kinds, drill-n-tap, or the oil filter plate.

There are many cheap knockoffs, but none have the extensive testing Dave Dodge has done.

The oil pump chain is supposed to be loose and cannot be adjusted.

Frequently, the header pipes can make noise - along with the collector. Use a mechanics stethoscope (or long screwdriver against the ear) to determine where the sound is coming from.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  4. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I have an 82 Sabre and an 83 Interceptor both of which make a rattleing sound, and have for years. Both seem to run just fine.