Carburetor Drowning Issues

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by WernerRSA, Jul 3, 2016.

1. WernerRSA

WernerRSA New Member

Okm I wanted to check the float heights last night and got my vernier out and checked that it was on level and .... the needle's little rebound thing stuck in. I made sure I knew which one it was and looked between my spares and got another 2 out that was fine. Checked them, polished the seats and re-assembled and then set the float heights correct.

I cleaned the sticky one and it then started re-bounding again and then I left it. This morning it stuck in again, but the ones in the carb are all still fine. So it seems that one snuck in there and explains why I had a seal the one evening on it and the next it was out.

I have left it for today still and will check it tonight and put it back on the bike but it seems like that might have been the problem. Best of all is it was a needle from a set of carbs that where suppose to be 100%. I at least have enough spares so as things go on I can sort out what ever still comes along.

I will let you guys know as soon as I know if all is well but thanks for the assistance.

2. WernerRSA

WernerRSA New Member

@bigbadbass I would gladly send them away if there was someone here in SA but sending them cross border is not worth it. I bought (what the mechanic said) a reconned set of carbs and they also gave trouble so my faith in the supposedly capable people here is not very high.

3. WernerRSA

WernerRSA New Member

Ok still doing the same. Anyone want this piece is shot pm me

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Just curious, is your fuel pump stock? Due to the cost and availability of those OEM style units (black cap, contacts underneath), some folks will opt for solid state aftermaket ones with little consideration for their PSI output. I think motorcycle carbs are generally only looking in the neighborhood of 2 psi. Some aftermarket carb pumps can be in excess of 7psi or more, especially if they didn't toss in a regulator. They can in effect blast the needle off the seat.

5. WernerRSA

WernerRSA New Member

Ok, I gave up on the carbs. I Used the donor which where from another year/model vfr. After about 6 hours worth of trouble I got them modded to fit in my bike (with a mm difference on the distance between the carb openings that made it a bitch to get back onto the bike)

I then went t bed and next morning gt up and synced up the carbs which where very far out. I then got it back on the bike. It pumped full of fuel (I already tested with a funnel system if the needles are closing) and then tried to start it. I had t swing it for a bit cause I think the plugs where still wet from the previous drowning. After a few swings it did eventually sputter t life ns nt all the cylinders, after running about half a minute it started firing on all four and it was ALIVE.

I friend of mine took it for a spin (cause I was not dressed up and he was heading out for a ride anyway) and he was away for abut 15 minutes and came back and gave it a clean bill of health :D

I fired it up this morning in the cold and it sprang to life immediately. I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow to work so hopefully the weather works with.

With all this I am quiet convinced that there is something wrong with the old throttle bodies but i am not going to go back and find the problem with them. I just moved everything over so its the same needles, same seats, same jets, same diaphragms, everything but this set is not a petrol fountain.

I do feel somewhat stupid, my wife told me to d this carb swap thing about 2 weeks ago when I bought the other set for parts. Could have saved myself a ton of effort if i listened :p

6. NormK

NormK New Member

Well done, we all go the wrong way at times and when we finally get it sorted wished we had gone that way in the first place

7. Toddman

Toddman New Member

United States
    I have a 1994 and experienced the same situation. It turns out that I had two bowls backwards on the two carbs that flooded. Make sure that the drains are accessible from the outside of each carb. The two in question for me had the drains on the inside. Swapped them and the flooding stopped. It was then that I also realized that if your fuel system has any air leaks your fuel pump may leak. That lead to replacing all of the fuel lines. It's all tight now.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017