CBR F3 front end swap

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by nitroheadz28, Dec 17, 2015.

1. nitroheadz28

nitroheadz28 New Member

I'm currently piecing together parts for my winter/ spring project. I'm converting my '00 to naked and putting on a diet. My original plan called for a CBR F4I front end (Want to de-link brakes and have better forks/ brakes).

However, a friend of mine has an F3 race bike decked out with Ohlins parts as well as upgraded calipers/ lines. He's going away to the military, and offered me the bike (Engine troubles, needs some TLC) for practically nothing.

I've found out that I can use the Ohlins rear with a spacer top mount just like most other shocks that get swapped into the VFR. I haven't been able to find out if I can swap in his front end though?

That would make things ridiculously simple for me if that could work. Does anyone with more knowledge have any advice? Thanks!

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, this should be good. I'd look a little further if the shock will actually work, fit maybe, but the vfr swing arm has a different rate, just saying, Now as the front goes it should, I thought of the same on the 4th gen I had, but that was a few years ago, check the length, something tells me it's shorter. What VFR do you have?

3. nitroheadz28

nitroheadz28 New Member

Regarding the rear shock, here is a thread to the other VFR forum showing the differences between popular shock choices including the F3. Worst case I'll pick up a stiffer spring:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/19712-vtec-shock-options/

With the front end, F3 forks are 41mm diameter and appear to be within 1cm length of 4th gen forks according to this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/...en-front-fork-brace-or-cbr600-f3-forks/page-2

I just found this gem, SEBSPEED claims that the F3 forks will swap right in:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/40366-f3-forks-on-a-6th-gen/

I have a 5th gen, and I suppose the question is now.. Are the F3 forks going to be an upgrade for me? At the very worst I get to de-link the brakes which is a huge plus as it is. They are already set up with stiffer springs and whatnot (I don't have specs, will have to track that info down).

Also, this is only my second bike and will be my first time tearing into one going further than maintenance/ minor repairs. If the tubes are the same diameter/ very close in length, does that mean that my stock clip ons/ triple/ etc will all bolt up?

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    yep it's a fit (if) just for the H of it re think that rear shock swap. I was going to use a 4th gen shock as I had a very nice WP all set up, even though it fits , it has the wrong ratio. So I'm still looking for that part. If you are half way mechanical you shouldn't have to much trouble, just a lot of little details. but yes the f3 is a direct fit. Brake removal will be fun, but worth it. look for a f4i rear MC and do the cross link line on the caliber, is what I see and read the easiest way, though some do the dual banjo bolt and leave two lines, me I'd go one, but that's me. I'm still figuring out my options as I had a RC51 lined up but those plans went south, so now I'm rehashing the whole bit in whats worth the trouble. I just located a set of F4i fronts so???

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I put VTR1000F forks on my 5th gen; the only tricky part is making up some brackets so the 5th gen mudguard fits. This enables you to use some of the nice 4-piston opposed calipers off the 600F4i, CBR929/954 etc. The F3 forks look like they take 2-piston sliding calipers which are OK but you may as well get something more modern. Just my 2c worth.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

The important thing (if you plan to use the VFR triples) is to make sure that the holes for the fork tubes are the same distance apart on the CBR unit. If not, you'll probably be looking to get spacers machined. You may have already done this, but I didn't see where it was addressed...

7. nitroheadz28

nitroheadz28 New Member

I was doing some thinking, and I'm just going to take his Ohlins rear shock and continue keeping an eye open for an F4i front end. I want to be able to use the stock VFR wheel and I might as well have the better calipers/ forks.

Now its just a question of what rear subframe to swap into the bike that wont be too crazy to fab together, as well as experiment with a front radiator mount. This is my inspiration:

[​IMG]

I need to make a trip to some bike junkyards.

8. nitroheadz28

nitroheadz28 New Member

What do you mean by the shock having the wrong ratio? I don't follow.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    LINKAGES ARE DIFFERENT, so different leverages.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Squirrel, ;) you beat me to it.. Yep the F3 shock may fit, but has a different ratio in compression and rebounding, changing the spring won't really do a thing other than make it ride maybe weirder, but since I now understand your mission and the price is right go for it. So whats the story with the F3 again? Ohlins forks or internals? actually it wouldn't be a bad swap for the trouble. I'm such one for the USD look, maybe function. and the brakes that come with, but the VFR really isn't a race bike so much as a great bike that does a lot very well, I just know there's room for improvement here. Super hawk lowers is another, and other brands of calibers work here and there with the right shimming. But I'm starting to look more into the F4i, less work in getting it right with great brakes to boot. but man that 51 swap sure sounds tempting right about now.