Chain adjustment on '93 VFR750

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bonden, Aug 9, 2017.

1. bonden

bonden New Member

Norway
    Hi guys, new rider and owner of a '93 VFR750 here. It came with no tools and I need to adjust the chain. Are there any methods to adjust the chain without the appropriate tool mentioned in the handbook?

2. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    All the tool does is move the rear wheel backwards or forwards. Seems to me all you have to do is put the bike in first gear. Loosen off the 14 mm bolt and then turn the rear wheel by hand either backwards or forwards to obtain tension.

Before starting all this make sure you have found the tight spot on the chain. Have someone check for the correct slack when you move the wheel, then tighten bolt. I suggest that you loosen bolt only enough that you can move the wheel slightly, but easily.

Good luck.

bonden and 34468 Randy like this.
  3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

geeze, jim, i don't think that will work, but honestly i never tried it. the notched ring must be moved to swing the eccentric around and tighten the chain. a flat-headed drift, along with a smaLL hammer can be used to tap the toothed ring clockwise into a position to tighten the chain.

chain should be cool (before riding) to adjust, and rider MUST find the tightest spot while rotating wheel and set slack adjustment THERE ! if the chain is way too loose at other spots, you need a NEW CHAIN !

bonden should know that a too tight chain is far worse than a too loose one.

"raeva mi verker" :Confused:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    bonden likes this.
  4. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    You may be right in regards to my method not working. I'm tempted to try it myself to find out. But I've just spent today greasing my steering bearings and don't have the inclination to return to the garage to find out.

OP. Its up to you to give our methods a try.

bonden likes this.
  5. bonden

bonden New Member

Norway
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I appreciate it. I found the tight spot a couple of days ago and that area seems good (~30 mm (manual says 15-25 mm movement from midpoint) but the slacker parts are way off and since I don't know how old the chain is I have decided to replace it.

One of the nearby Honda dealers are getting me the chain adjuster, so hopefully other methods won't be necessary.

Thanks again and good luck with your butt Squirrelman (ræva mi verker, lol).