Cheapo China Leather Jackets???

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by erollman, Oct 5, 2010.

1. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I don't know. 60 bucks for an item that normally cost a few hundred. I would be cautious.

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    $60 bucks straight to China. That's $60 more bucks leaving this country's struggling economy and $60 bucks you'll never see again. Five years from now when you aren't happy with how much you make or your employment status at the time, just think back to all the "cheap" China shit you bought.

4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Wonder if they're even licensed to use the Honda logo and branding? And by the time you pay the $35 shipping, you're nearly to the cost of a legit product purchased from a local supplier (probably made in Taiwan or Korea).

5. betarace

betarace New Member

would advise against it, a buddy got a set of "ducati" ones and went down at 35mph on the track, blew out the seams and rashed his thigh. Invest in quality equipment that will save your skin and last a lifetime. Taken care of, they will

6. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Your better bet is to get something from New Enough.com from their closeout section. You can usually get a pretty good deal for something that's brand new, but one to two years old.

7. mrvfr

mrvfr Banned

For once me and the alusterous tinkerbell arnt arguing.

however if your goal is to get warm, not save your skin then just layer up. get an extra shirt and a hood under whatever jacket you are wearing now. i ride in michigan winters.

oh, and the knit things that snowmobielers wear around their neck and head are a must.

if you want safety just remember that jacket comes with shipping. shop around till you find a good deal. at a local shop.

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    ^^ I didn't know we usually fought. I'll do better next time. :thumbsup:

You referring to a baklava? I think that's what it is.... I wear one of those under my helmet.

9. mrvfr

mrvfr Banned

i dono what its called, it covers my head, has a hole for my face, and goes down over my neck. it holds tight and helps keep me warm.

10. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    You guys are all right. I am an idiot. You would think as a person who has already been laid off because my job went overseas, I would be more aware of my actions. I guess its time to buy some under armor and and a baclava. Thanks guys, you all are the best.

11. mrvfr

mrvfr Banned

Dont sweat it, we know what its like to be poor.

but if its for warmth, like i said, just put a few layers on. a few socks even. youll be supprised how efective an extra layer or two can be.

12. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Another cheap but surprisingly effective alternative is to wear a MC rainsuit over your gear. The windblockage will eliminate a huge portion of the wind chill factor. And for cold hands you can wear rubber gloves underneath for that windblockage factor too.

13. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    $60 is a drop in the bucket compared to the purchase price of the 85 vf500, 90 vfr750, and the 03 shadow 750 that all went to Japan. More specifically a Japanese firm that also makes cars which directly compete with American firms. The US lost it's textile industry a long time ago, but the auto industry is surprisingly still in the fight. Five years from now when we aren't happy with how much we make or our employment status at the time, just think back to all the completely awesome, multi thousand dollar Japanese sports bikes we bought. If everyone on this forum had bought Harley's instead of VFR's, the motorcycle industry would be a very different market, and a few hundred more Americans would likely be employed.

I'm not saying I know the solution. I'm just pointing out that almost all of us here want to buy American even if it costs a little more, but totally dropped the ball when we dropped booku dolla on our rides.

14. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    And to add insult to injury I just bought this based on price and good safety reviews from owners. I think it's ugly as sin, and if it isn't made in Pakistan then certainly China. Heaven knows India isn't in the cowhide industry. Sorry John the American Rancher, Joe the American Trucker, and Cindy the American textile worker. I just gave all my business to General Tso's chicken.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4010wt_1165

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    ++++ on this. The raikn gear will trap your body heat in. Speaking from experience. I ride year round and even with the heated vest, the wind goes through. The rain gear is superb for heat retention.

16. mrvfr

mrvfr Banned

I disagree, well, agree and disagree.

I have herd of several towns that are now ghost towns because their industry was in steel. however the car manufacturers are buying raw steel from china. its cheaper for them to pay china to mine it and ship it over on a boat than it is to mine it here.

your American car, means assembled in America.

Now I do agree in the fact that the profit from buying the car does stay here, whereas buying foreign sends the profit to china.

though all of this is null and void unless you are talking about buying a new vehicle.

17. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

if you have an wilsons outlet near you, you can get a real nice leather jacket for 60 - 65 bucks when they have there year end sale. they usally have 2 per year.
    mine has served me well for 3 years now, it doesnt have the padding in it but I wear my spine board under it for protection.
    worth looking into.

18. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I second NewEnough too. Watch the site for jackets in your size and you'd be amazed at the price you get on some quality gear. Now be prepared to get it in a color that doesn't match your ride, but I've seen 800 dollars track suits go for 200. It may be in one or two sizes and blue in colorr but at that price who cares!

And please everyone, spare us the "Buy American" speeches. In a global economy good luck with that.

BZ

19. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with BZ on the global economy comment. It's here to stay. Learn to survive in it or perish.

As far as the jacket goes, I would steer clear. I don't think the quality is going to be there.

Looky here:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/31894-hong-kong-fairing-kits.html

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Do your homework. My Honda Civic was built more in the USA than my Dodge Ram 2500 was. If there was a US sport bike option, I'd consider it in my purchase. Hopefully Buell makes his comeback.