Chicago girl considering a VFR800

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rebs, Oct 27, 2015.

1. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Well with the license plate I have on my bike it could hardly be a male. I thought about naming my S1000RR Mjolner but my man would not have it. Lol.

2. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Been riding around my new VFR and absolutely loving it! Purrs like a kitten down low but screams like a tiger up above! It is like having two bikes in one, a docile one for commuting and a screamer for corners. :) The suspension is set up so much better than my F800GT as well...not too firm but holds a line so tenaciously! Thank you all for your advice during my decision making process!

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Glad you are pleased, it will grow join you.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :pound:
    :thumb:

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    That is the way I have always described my VFR. It's two bikes in one.

6. karmann

karmann New Member

Hi, I'm new to the VFR thing also.

My Gf wants to learn how to ride and we found a 86 750 for 1700 so bough that. I've put about 50 miles on it over the weekend since she bought it and have to say I love this bike. So far as I can tell it lives in the 6.5-9.5k range (haven't done shakedown maintenance yet but redline looks like 11). Despite that the bike is surprisingly non aggressive to drive, eg: don't have to keep rpm up at all times, accelerates quick from most any rpm I've noticed. Haven't taken it into curves yet but I'm sure it will be fine, and I have no track experience to compare handling against. It was completely stable up to 110 or so on my limited test. For the price the one we got feels like a steal

My Bike is an 83 BMW R100Rs and I'm sure it's night and day to your F800GT, but if you want something reliable, with good power, decent handling, you may consider the old air heads, reliable, torquey, good mileage, but.. a bit heavy lower top end speed. Just a thought.

If you're looking for a commuter, I can already tell that the Honda is going to be fun. I'm not so sure how the older ones will handle on the luggaging. I haven't really looked into bags for it and I haven't noticed any mount points. I know our plan was just to use the hardbags on my airhead when we travel.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I love the BMW R100RS it was then best sport touring bike in its day. My old R90/6 was dressed as an S model with RS bars. I have many thousands of miles on an airhead and I will tell you that my VFR800 is superior in every way. It doesn't even jack up and down when accelerating.

IMG4.jpg

8. karmann

karmann New Member

Lol, yea It's def night and day, I'm in the process of stripping the RS fairing and going with the 3/4. It's a continuous project, but as far as reliability I think of the Beemer kind of like a tank. No matter how much neglect it gets it always gets me home so I can fix it, at about 40 mpg.

9. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was going to say that it's biggest positive feature is its mechanical simplicity. I would have the 1977 BMW R100RS on my most wanted list except I know how it goes around corners. To put it bluntly it just handles weird by modern standards. The '77 model had the cam and bigger carbs. It was also painted that nice iceberg blue. The R100RS has the best sport touring fairing ever made and it looks great too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    They are definitely a Dr.Jeckel Mr. Hyde machine, It really comes down to the pilot at hand ;)

11. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    IMG_6553.jpg

Enjoying the VFR on a nice sunny day and loving it!

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    NICE! I gotta get mine out. Sunny days have been few and far between this Spring.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Looking good there ., Yea aren't you a happy girl there, I can see the smile through the helmet ;)

14. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    1141208.jpg

Well..it's not my VFR but my other bike, my S1000RR over Memorial Day weekend at the track. Gotta love that bike! Of course I cannot ride it on the street like that but the VFR is plenty entertaining for the street, especially after I wear out the horrible dunlop D-222 sportmax tires and get something better on her! For grins I may load up my VFR and take her around the track for a spin. She won't have anywhere near the power or grip of my supersport but she should still be fun! :)

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    funny, as interesting, I saw a many of those BMWs at the track today, very popular I guess. With good tires and the suspension being tuned, you just might be surprised just how track savy the VFR is. ;)

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Though this is true, I think once you get your new CBR on a few track days you may have a little different perspective. The difference will be big. But for the public streets including most "spirited rides" the VFR is a comfortable and capable bike.

17. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Actually I do not doubt the track prowess of the VFR as I already love the suspension setup and the newer engine. Although I think on the track I would have to keep it on a full boil to stay in the power range. I am actually planning to take my VFR sometime and run it in Novice for kicks. Although the center stand would have to come off and I would have to just tape everything up as the rear view mirrors are a pain to remove. By the time this happens however I'll still be on the crap Dunlop tires but I'll just go out slowly and have fun on it.

18. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    From having ridden my S1000RR and the VFR I would say that for the street the VFR is just about perfect in power, handling, and capacities. However, the RR is MUCH more powerful, handles so much better, and accelerates much more quickly than the VFR. Furthermore with track plastics it weighs about 430 wet. You can't beat that! And with Ohlins suspension as well adjusted to my weight/height.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    There's no arguing that. ;)

20. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Does anybody know if I can mount a 190/55-17 on my 8th gen VFR? I have an extra OEM tire from my S1000RR that I took off half way through last season, a Bridgestone BattleMax, terrible for the track but plenty nice for the road.