Cleaning carbs

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by TOE CUTTER, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rob24

rob24 New Member

Where did that 3rd jet come from and how did you get it off??That's the starter jet is it not??

2. Can Cutter

Can Cutter New Member

When I removed the carbs from my VFR 500 there were two black hoses not connected to anything. There are two black plastic fuel joint sets connecting the middle carbs and they have T-joints. Could those hoses at some point have been connected to the joint sets? The other ends of the hoses run past the fuel pump and look as if they aren't meant to connect to anything. Help!

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Digging deep into the historical VFRW database...................................
    suggests that you search for "carb vents" or "float bowl vents" and study the FSM for the best info available. Anyone who might ignorantly plug those hoses would suffer serious running problems. You can't say they're connected to nothing as their function is to connect to the very atmosphere, something cosmic , something to balance pressure :topsy_turvy:

4. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    There are a couple of O-rings on the carbs as well as the rubber boots for the choke rods, where can you buy complete rebuild kits for these bikes? The one I just picked up has been sitting for just shy of 20 years and I'd like some fresh rubber inside.

Thanks

5. dtinyprince

dtinyprince New Member

First of all I want to give a big thanks to all the info here. It has really helped me a lot. The carbs on my 87 vfr 700 were taken off some time ago by someone else who was going to clean them for me and put them back on. Well the did a great job of taking everything apart but then never got around to any of the rest of it. Eventually I figured out the situation and picked up the box of parts. I have been trying through trial and error and info I have found here to get them to where they are now. What a learning experience this has been for me and my son. I have one question I have not been able to figure out with the plastic fuel joint sets. On the long side they have a guide on the side with fits in a slot on the whole in the carburetor. If I put on both fuel lines so that this notch lines up they each run in opposite directions and the one pointing toward the front has no clearance between the joint set and the Air cleaner base. It makes more sense to me that the one in front would point to the back also but then the guide will not match up with anything. What am I doing wrong?

6. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    I've never needed to buy a rebuild kit. I replaced the float bowl o-rings with 041 units from a hydraulic repair shop (total $2) and simply cleaned everything else.

It is not recommended to separate the carbs.

Having new, soft rubber carb boots is highly recommended ($40 set).

There are rebuild kits on eBay depending on what you want to replace. V4market dot com also carries parts.

At this point you don't know what you really need. The float needles and seats may be fine. Replacing them sight unseen is a lot of money, so I wouldn't recommend it right now.

I don't know about the choke rod boots, sorry.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  7. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't have an answer, sorry.

Have you compared your plastic tee set with a proper picture to make sure it's all the correct parts?

I'm guessing you don't have a set of pictures of assembled carbs to look at? Try looking at pictures on eBay. That's what I do.

8. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    Try this diagram http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1987/VFR700F2+A/CARBURETOR+(ASSY.)/parts.html

It shows the exploded view.

9. dtinyprince

dtinyprince New Member

Yes I have looked at those and the part I am looking at is 5. Looking at that diagram it makes me believe that the two fuel tubes should be pointed in opposite directions. I just have a bad feeling I am going to break the one trying to squeeze the fuel line on to it with it already pressed against the bottom of the air cleaner. As long as those guides on the fuel joint has to go into the slot on the carbs then I must have it correct.

10. BluRoad

BluRoad New Member

United States
    Map
    Do these photos help any? (an old carb set) IMG_0297.jpg IMG_0298.jpg IMG_0299.jpg IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0301.jpg

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    you got a crack in your fuel tube, the last photo.

12. BluRoad

BluRoad New Member

United States
    Map
    Hate when that happens...:frown-new:

13. Can Cutter

Can Cutter New Member

Go to www.v4hondacarbs.com and communicate with Mike Nixon. He's retired, certified Honda mechanic who still works on older project bikes. He knows these carbs like you wouldn't believe. He provides sevices for a fee, such as rebuilding carbs, but he gives tons of free advice. He helped me out enormously. He will have an immdeiate answer to your questions.

14. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
  15. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    Just a reminder, you can replace all 4 plastic tubes with a set made from metal for $70. You won't have to worry about cracks any more.

16. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    So, since I stripped all four carbs down (good thing I did as I found several issues) I went ahead and swapped out all the rubber. I really don't feel like doing this again any time soon. Good thing is that I got the assembly back on the bike with minimal strain. Thanks to all the tips here all the boots aligned (loosened both clamps on the rear and put them on the engine at the correct angle) and all I had to do was step up on the frame and step down on the base plate. Everything slipped right together.

17. dtinyprince

dtinyprince New Member

Got back from vacation and took the advice found here to remove one carb and turn the plastic pipe around to the correct position. Everything is now correct and looks right. Still have some very slight leaking from the o-rings on the fuel tubes. Left some gas in the hose to see if it would stop but it has not. Going to have to find some new o-rings. Other than that I have everything straight. Much thanks to this thread for all the great advice!!!

18. dtinyprince

dtinyprince New Member

19. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Awesome write up! Got my 1987 VFR700's carb's off. I think I found a bigger issue though! Intake valves are full of burnt crud! Probably oil or coolant. I took a couple pic's, and it looks like the "Stuff" on the valves will just flake off. Black like burnt oil or coolant. Also something is leaking in the "crotch" of the "V", under the carb's. I'm in the garage, and can't download photos on this laptop. Will post later. Thanks for this write up, again!

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    LAST STEP of carb cleaning: turn carb set on the side and put a few drops of motor oil on the lowside throttle shafts. Let soak for about 15 minutes, then turn onto other side aNd repeat oil.