clutch or gearbox issue? or could it be worse?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Peter Glass, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Peter Glass

Peter Glass New Member

United Kingdom
    my 98 5th gen 24k miles had a huge crunch noise and rear lock up. when i parked up there was about a few inches of movement in the chain with clutch on or off. couldn't/wouldnt go into neutral either. engine runs fine.
    I got it home and got the rear wheel off, and managed to get the chain moving by hand, then also when ignition was on and releasing the clutch gently the chain would move also. albeit the chain is amazingly loose now (i assume because of the lock up) sprockets and chain look to be in good order.
    im not a mechanic and wouldn't be comfortable poking around any further than i have.
    would anyone have an idea as to what may be the issue?
    cheers
    pete

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If you take the chain off the rear sprocket and leave it on the front, are you able to move the front sprocket freely? It sounds like probably not but I thought I'd ask. If you can move it then it might just be an issue at the back and a cheaper fix. If not, you are probably going to have to take off the cover and see what has gone south on you. It sounds expensive.

3. Peter Glass

Peter Glass New Member

United Kingdom
    no i haven't tried that. i'll check and post the results. although i don't think that would explain not being able to get neutral. an expensive fix is what I'm expecting . thanks for the reply

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sounds like the gearbox mate had same on his.

Peter Glass likes this.
  5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that's what I afraid of. Too bad your on other side of the pond. I have an extra 5th gen engine just sitting and collecting dust. The only thin it needs is a heli coil where one plug wallered out the socket.

Peter Glass likes this.
  6. Peter Glass

Peter Glass New Member

United Kingdom
    got a good look at the chain and sprockets today- no issues here.
    going from here it will have to be checking the clutch and gearbox. has anyone any advice or useful links to show what to look out for? thanks

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Crunch and a lockup is very unlikely to be the clutch unfortunately, almost certainly you've suffered a serious gearbox malfunction. My guess is that you've either broken a gear dog off a gear, or maybe a shift fork has snapped. Either way, you need to have a loose piece of metal lurking n the gearbox in order to cause a lockup. It might drop out and allow the gearbox to turn, but you'll still have a broken gearbox. If you pull the oil pan off the engine, you might be able to find the broken bit or see the damage, but a repair will require engine removal and splitting the cases.

Peter Glass likes this.
  8. Peter Glass

Peter Glass New Member

United Kingdom
    thanks for the advice. any idea what would cause something like that to happen?