Comfort Mods, My review (helibars, & new seat)

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    My comfort mods, and plans for future mods. (Pictures at the end!)

#1 HeliBars- Installed about a month ago, Big improvement over stock, very happy with the results. Still slightly hunched forward but very comfortable, could ride for 3+ hours now without any noticeable discomfort.

Pros -
    *More upright, easier on wrists, back, etc.
    *Looks stock, no one would even notice they are aftermarket
    *Because of the design I was able to attach my phone X Grip clamp onto the bar, unlike the OEM design.
    *Install was relatively easy. Took me about 2.5 hours, I took my time and filmed everything, going to make a install video in the future. I bought used so the weights were already installed for me.
    *Good quality materials, no modifications to any cables, etc.
    *Better leverage over bars, I find it easier to corner now.

Cons -
    *Did require some modification (i.e Cutting) I had to cut two brackets so I could rotate my clutch hose and brake hose line forward so it wouldn't pinch
    *I got used so I paid $180, but brand new they are $300, seems kinda expensive for what they are.
    *Because you are up higher you are now hit with more wind on the highway.

#2 Sargent Seat- Installed almost 2 months ago. Another improvement over stock, again I am happy with the results and love the features. I am very picky on seats but this one is definitely a good option.

Pros-
    *Looks wise it is beautiful, I love the red accent that goes around it. Definitely helps highlight the seat.
    *The OEM cowl works perfect with it, as far as I know it's the only aftermarket seat that does that.
    *It has a hidden access door underneath it, very cool place to store some valuables, such as registration :)
    *Comfort wise it's an improvement over stock.
    *Easier to slide around on so great for twisty roads, no unwanted sliding though, which is nice.

Cons-
    *Although an improvement over stock, it's nothing ground breaking. If the stock seat was good for 2 hours then this seat is good for 4.
    *HOT!! The seat keeps your butt hot, I think it's not as breathable as the stock seat.
    *Price, holy, it's north of $400! You do get a lot for your money though, I found a killer deal on Facebook and grabbed the seat in like-new condition for $100 shipped!!
    *The seat is wider, which is good for comfort but harder for you to touch the ground with, sort of an issue for me at 5'8.

#3 Pro Grip Gel grips & Heavy weighted bar ends- Not sure why, but my VFR has a vibration problem in the bars, I think it's the tires. I will be checking the suspension and tires at a later date, but for now I needed a remedy. The grips and bar ends were to help alleviate the vibrations, I would say they did a good job at it!

Pros-
    *Cheap! At $25 for bar ends and $11 for grips, it's silly to not at least give these a try!
    *Very soft grips, I absolutely love them! Very comfy to touch, they are grippy but also very padded so they are great for touring or sporting!
    *Vibrations are almost gone! I had BAD vibrations, my front tire is scalloped, which makes me think it's either the tire or something with my suspension, either way I will look into it and I don't want this thread to be about that, let's please keep it to the mods only. Anyway... the vibrations were terrible and these almost cleared them up alone! Very, very pleased! If you have minor vibes then these will surely eliminate them!
    *Super easy to install, bar ends take 30 seconds, even included the allen wrench! The grips were awesome too, the hardest part was removing the old ones... took me around 10 minutes for grips, no glue needed! They are solid and don't move at all.

Cons-
    *Bar ends add weight, something most people don't want. Seems silly to complain about a few grams though.

And that's it for now! I want to add a new windshield, foot lowering pegs, and a cruise control unit. I have a throttle rest but i'm sort of iffy about it. Anyway, let me know what comfort mods you have and how you like them! Thanks for reading! :)

Here's some pictures of the mods in question :p

Picture of the bars and seat before the mods
    [​IMG]

Here is another before picture, this is before the helibars, but after the Sargent seat..
    [​IMG]

Here is the after picture! (after both the helibars and seat)
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the bars, including the part where I was able to mount my X GRIP
    [​IMG]

You can see a little bit of the bar ends and grips, also the X grip in place.
    [​IMG]

Here is some other comparison photos of the seat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love this little door :)
    [​IMG]

A.M and noboost like this.
  2. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    you should try Dyna beads in your tires. they were awesome in my Vrod and my neighbour had a shadow with the bars shaking over 65 mph and we put them in the front tire and the vibration was gone

3. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    you should try Dyna beads in your tires. they were awesome in my Vrod and my neighbour had a shadow with the bars shaking over 65 mph and we put them in the front tire and the vibration was gone

4. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Really? I think i'll give them a shot, thanks!

5. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'll never go back to weights after seeing the results. I wish the heli bars were cheaper I would like to try them.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had mixed results ... they worked great on my Michelin PR2's ...

On my Bridgestone T30 EVO's ... I HAVE to manually balance my front wheel. The beads just doesn't want to work in that front tire for whatever reason. I still use beads in the rear.

7. chuckgorman

chuckgorman New Member

United States
    I've got Helibars (spellchecks to celibate...) And a Sargent.

The Sargent seat is great. The stock one gave me big bruises between my legs. Wasn't particularly uncomfortable but that can't be good.