Considering a vfr, what's all this "gen" stuff?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rich stone, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    My short version of the generations:
    1st gen: 700/750cc, chain driven cams, steel frame, 16" front wheel, launched in 1983 -1985(VF750F as in my avatar)
    2nd gen: 700/750 cc gear drive cams, alloy frame, 16" front wheel, 1986-1989 (actually the first of the real VFR's in my opinion)
    3rd gen: 750 cc, 17" front wheel, single-sided swing arm, 1990-1993 (the white bike above)
    4th gen: Restyled fairing and a bit lighter but basically the same 1994-1997 (see Squirrelman's pic)
    5th gen: 781cc, All new engine, chassis, FI, linked brakes 1998
    6th gen: Chain drive cams, VTEC, undertail exhaust, restyled
    7th gen: not really related, this is the 1200cc and IMHO not part of the same VFR750/800 lineage, 2010
    8th gen: Updated 6th gen, restyled, conventional brakes, right side muffler, 2014-?, see Fink's pic above

Except for the 1st gen, all are mechanically reliable, but as you look at older machines you will have more age-related issues like failing rubber parts (hoses) and fuel system failures (tank rust, blocked jets, failing fuel pumps). A well used and loved older bike is probably a better bet than something that has had little regular use or maintenance.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

One thing about the generations before the 5 and 6 Gens, OEM parts are becoming harder to find, body panels especially, aftermarket is probably the best place for those. That being said, a few of us 5 Gen owners have found a few items that are no longer available from Honda but may get lucky and find them on eBay or a salvage yard. Just a few items to consider. Personally, if I could find a 3 Gen in white as the sample shown earlier, I'd definitely consider it for the right price!

Samuel and scottbott like this.
  3. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have an immaculate 4th gen but I would love a third gen in white as well they are stunning looking bikes

OOTV likes this.