Correct way to check oil.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GoForARide, Sep 13, 2009.

1. GoForARide

GoForARide Banned

According to Clymer for a gen4 you hold the bike straight, and do not screw in the dip stick.

iv been screwing in the dipstick, which means that I still have too much oil in my bike.

2. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    place on centerstand. do not screw dipstick in. if you dont have a centerstand you will have to hold her upright.

3. IrrerD

IrrerD New Member

The setup instructions I use to assemble new Hondas indicate with either all capital letters or in bold print: "DO NOT (or: Do not) screw in dipstick when checking oil level." By screwing in the dipstick, you are effectively raising the oil level by the amount the dipstick is screwed in, but leaving the engine with a lower oil level than there should be. Our Honda service rep says to insert the dipstick and turn counterclockwise till it seats fully, and this will indicate the correct oil level.

Edit: Of course all models should be in an upright position. I'll have to ask our service rep about using the center stand, though. Most models that have a center stand (VFRs included) have the dipstick toward the rear of the case, so wouldn't that tilt the oil ever so slightly toward the front of the bike, causing lower reading?

4. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Like IrrerD said. Not enough oil - screwing in gives a higher reading. Just add some oil and you're good.

5. monk69

monk69 New Member

Just put it on the center stand and stick a block of wood under the frt wheel till the back wheel touches the ground..... now you have the best of both worlds..... Put a level on th ground to know the bikes level .... Then just use the same spot to check oil from then on (at home)