Cruise control for VFR?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Ardnfast, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Vfourer

Vfourer New Member

What Brakeaway Cruise Control model did you install?

2. DNRDNI

DNRDNI New Member

United States
    Map
    "It does not have it's own application, but the Suzuki Bandit application works because the 1 3/16th inch grip diameter is the same."

3. Vfourer

Vfourer New Member

4. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler New Member

I have the audiovox cruise control on mine . Love the thing, The only drawback is at low speeds between 50 and 80 km/h it has a tendency to buck a little for giing a little gas then stopping . But at highway speeds it is amazing

John

5. Gluaisrothar

Gluaisrothar New Member

@DNRDNI

Excellent! Thank you for taking the time to reply with the photos. They are very helpful. My general e-mail account was locked for weeks, hence the delay in replying.

I had been in touch with Brakeaway in the mean time and they sent me the same response they gave you. I'll order the Bandit one, and have a friend make up the piece in your photos.

Thanks again!

6. nzfesm

nzfesm New Member

i bought my 2001 in 2003 and i road test bikes. I still have it with 38k on it. It is a great all around machine, and the mileage increases with age. After 20k i got in the 40s, and now over 30k i get in the 50s. There are other bikes out there that are better but for the price you will be happy with the 2001.

7. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    Great post, thanks.
    How do you like your windshield deflector??? I notice you have the bolt on version, had you tried the clamp on version previously?

8. SouthTexasRich

SouthTexasRich New Member

I need a cheap cruise control for a trip from Texas to California at the end of the month. The NEP seems to fit the bill. Does anyone have a link to the specific model that fits my '07 VFR? I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right one.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

9. Gluaisrothar

Gluaisrothar New Member

I just spent half an hour trying to find this post from last year:( I forgot to say thanks once I actually made the bracket, installed the Brakeaway cruise control and used it! I am really impressed with it on the highway. Up hills and down slopes result in too much and too little speed (fixed by adding or subtracting a llttle throttle), but being able to switch it off with just a touch on the brake lever or on the thumb switch is brilliant. Also, the build quality is superb. I wish I could say the same about the bracket I made based on your photos; ) I actually used the cruise control a lot riding across Minnesota last September. I did 3100 miles in a huge loop out of Indianapolis over 9 days, taking in some of the wonderful US National Parks. Loads of highway miles, so the cruise control made that so much easier. Thanks again.

10. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    I've got the NEP and really like it. I have it adjusted just right so that the throttle won't move when the lock is set, but I can still adjust it slightly to compensate for hills. Never need to take my hand off the bar to set it, either. The model you'll need is the one for 7/8" handlebars with a dual-cable throttle.

11. basscat

basscat New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for this post. I have a Brakeaway on my ST1300 and it is great.
    Been wanting to put one on my VFR and now I can thanks to your post.
    Could you tell me how long the little "chain link" piece is from center to center of the mounting holes?

12. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    I just installed the BrakeAway on my 6th gen and didn't need to make the chain link looking piece. I'll try to take a picture of it tomarow and post it. It did take quite a bit of time of fiddling with it to get it adjusted just right!

13. surfandski

surfandski New Member

United States
    Map
    Anybody here (besides the guy that was banned) used this throttle lock on the 6th gen (2002-)? Seems cheap and not bulky.

NEP Cruise Control CC-3 Dual Cable Honda - Handlebars/Controls

I looked at the Vista and it looks good but it seems that the cross plate would get in the way of the hazard light. But if you have used the Vista in the 6th gen with no issues let me know.

Thanks, Alfredo.

14. surfandski

surfandski New Member

United States
    Map
    Moto did you have to do anything to fit it ? I have a 2006 so I don't know if there are any differences with yours.
    Someone here said they had to cut the throttle sleeve to fit it, did you ?

TIA, Alfredo.

15. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    This is the set-up I use on my 2007ABS - which works fine now it is set just right.

Invisible Vista

I started with a standard universal Vista kit which was pretty much the only version offered in the UK and modified it to fit as per above. Install involved throwing away the supplied instructions, selecting the right plastic packing strip for the activating clamp (bit which snugs down on the throttle grip (the universal kit supplies a selection). Then thinning down (belt sander) the fixed bar clamp section so it neatly fitted into the narrow gap beside the switchgear. (This might not be needed if you still have standard bars - but I have Helibars where the gap is a bit narrower). Finally shortening the activation lever (which is too long) by 1/4inch so regardless of position it would not hit the tank on full lock.

Set-up proved the real challenge in time and patience. It entailed adding/removing/relocating tiny washers to the spring clamp bar which applies clamping pressure to the throttle grip. This needs to be adjusted until it holds the throttle steady when required, but is still loose enough so in an emergency you can simply rotate the throttle to full close - even with the lock engaged. Adjustment involved stopping and messing with the tiny washers at the roadside (and dropping several) until the clamping pressure was right using a pair of open ended spanners. This entailed about an hour of testing on a nearby empty road, until it was right. Once I got it set right, it has worked brilliantly and really helps avoid throttle wrist ache on long empty motorway runs across Europe.

Sorry the picture is not brilliant but you can probably spot the silver clamping ring which now occupies the inboard end of the throttle grip with the activation lever just visible under the grip. (with practice its easy to hook it on and off with my thumb without looking) The fixed clamp can just be seen fitted in the narrow gap between the switchgear and clutch reservoir bracket. There is also a metal link bar running out of sight below the switchgear. The upside down install means there is nothing in the way of the engine kill switch, indeed most people would not even spot it is fitted.

IMG_1103.jpg

Total cost was £25 and about two beers!

SkiMad

16. surfandski

surfandski New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info. I am starting to think that this one

Contour | Stories | Motorcycle Throttle Lock - Using Catamount L-14-120-0-L

might be the greatest invention created by man :)

17. EvilStig

EvilStig New Member

This. This thread is old.

My roommate has a gocruise throttle locker on his 6th gen, loves the thing. I'm planning to get one for my 5th gen shortly, since it seems to fit nicely. And it's $20 so you really can't argue with the price.

cruise control is kinda overrated IMO. A throttle locker solves the problem of letting you take your hand off for a few moments to stretch it out, and a throttle rocker or cramp buster solves the problem of your hand getting sore too quickly from holding the throttle tight. You really don't want to have your hand away from the throttle and brake lever for very long though, as a cruise is meant to encourage... a temp solution is just as good, and safer.

P.S., I know the question on it was old old old, but if anyone else is reading this and wondering, I have an Airhawk R, and it's amazing. It's also the only airhawk as of now which fits the VFR seat proper, which is unfortunate because it's 2x as expensive as pretty much any other model. It takes some getting used to the 'unsteady' feel of the seat, but it really doesn't compromise grip any, it's all in your head.

18. Haole Girl

Haole Girl New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Britt! I was looking for a good Cruise Control option. I had heard that some ST1300 Riders had found a way to install a Cruise Control, but hadn't gotten as far as signing up on their forum to get th info.
    The Throttlemeister just isn't doing it for me on the long haul rides.