cruise controls(would or wouldn't you) and why or why not

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DANIMAL, May 12, 2009.

1. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Hello everybody, (if you watch the Simpsons you'll get it.)

I Have been taking some long rides with a group of friends and three other VFR's are in this group at least one day of the weekends (200-400mi). Hand cramps from constantly holding the throttle. so I have been thinking of adding a throttle locking device. I have been doing my due diligence and exploring the internet.
    I am leaning toward using the Throttlemeister, but hava not committed to anything yet. I am currently at work in Singapore and will not be back in the US until mid to late June. So I have plenty of time to order it. The unit they(above mentioned group) all use is the Throttlemeister. So they seem to be biased or maybe it is the best choice. I don't know.
    Would you use one? If you would use one what do you guys use? what do you think is the best unit out there?
    opinions are never in short supply around here. and this is the reason I belong to this group. so wail away fellows.

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I have a simple $20 NEP throttle lock and it took all of about 3 minutes to install. Throttlemeister also seems to be very popular and sturdy product. Mine is not as attractive or durable as the Throttlemeister but it was cheap and and can be engaged with just the flick of your thumb. If you decide to buy the NEP version like mine make sure to get the single cable model made for Yamaha since it is the only one that doesn't require modifcation for use with the VFR.

[​IMG]

Happy riding!!

Regards,
    Rollin

3. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Take a look at the cruise control units available (Audiovox CS-100 I believe, and a couple of others I can't remember the names - Google is your friend). These units are true cruise control (maintain a near-constant speed regardless of incline/decline).

4. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

I commute 35 miles to and from work everyday and also purchased the NEP throttle lock, and let me just say it was the BEST $20 I ever spent. My hand was also going numb and this did the trick perfectly. However I had to purchase the dual cable honda version (I have a 6th gen) I want to say it's the ECC-3 or something like that. 30 second install and absolutely NO probs. I agree not as beautiful as the throttlemeister, but I heard that it was difficult to engage the TM (twisting of bar end) compared to the NEC (flick of thumb). Hope this helps and good luck...

5. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    If you would like to help reduce vibrations through the bars, go with a Throttlemeister. Otherwise, save your cash and use one of the other models. The black Throttlemeister does look great though I must say.

6. 06 VFR

06 VFR New Member

I recently bought the Throttlemeister and so far I love it. It has taken a bit to get use to twisting the bar end to engage but it's not hard to do. I'm headed towards Sonoma this weekend to watch the races so I'll have plenty of opportunity to learn how to use it better though.

7. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    cruise control

8. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    cruise control

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OUT on the wide-open American interstate, but only if you remain alert, you can do what i do, if you're an idiot like me: the idle speed adjustment screw can be used as a cruse control........

(can't believe i admitted that!!)

10. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Squirrelman,

Have you seen the idle adjustment on a 6th Gen?
    It is a good idea but you can barely reach it standing next to the bike and no way you are going to get a gloved hand in that space with out having to spend time with Drewl in the ER.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    6th gen....No, i haven't seen it.

Not a good idea then?

12. jay956

jay956 New Member

i also have one of these. LOVE IT! i dont know about the other brands but i like how even when its "locked" you can still move the throttle to make adjustments.

13. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I had a throtlemeister on a previous bike and it worked fine, I liked it. Then I had a bike with a true electronic cruise control and I was hooked, I gotta have one now.

I have an FJR with a MC Cruise control, it is a sophisticated, electronic, vacuum servo motor unit from a company in Australia. It is expensive, $700, and a complicated installation. But I would do it again in a second. For all day rides and multi day rides, electronic CC is the way to go. They make one for the VFR but I have not installed it since I use my FJR for long trips.

I am considering buying the Throtlemeister for the VFR.

Ron

14. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    As I recall, the Audiovox CCS-100 vacuum servo cruise control package was under $100.00.

15. russ189

russ189 New Member

I've used a vista cruise on every street bike I've owned. It is similar to the NEP, but I like the looks of it better. Works well on my 4th Gen, but you might want to search the forum to see if there is enough space to fit one on yours.

[​IMG]

16. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Anybody know where I can get some good training wheels so I don't have balance my bike at stops? I also need an auto tranny and a mount for the plasma TV.

The Throttlemeister is a set of two bar ends. The machining is aerospace quality. The right hand mechanism is of the screw type so the throttle is not "locked" I have the set installed on my 91 and have since early on. Never a problem.

So are those plastic gizmoes good for removing screw tops from bottles? Are there different sizes? I'm thinking that when some harleydood flips ya the bone, chase that sucker down and clamp that lock on his finger to teach him a lesson.

With a little work it looks like it would be easy to drill a hole in the control tab for that gadget and rivet in some black leather fringe. If there is a left side or a deal on two matching locks, fringe is a possibility or being really slick some LED rope lights would be waay cool.

17. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Okay, now that I'm done laughing at BadBilly's response , just let me say that I LUV my throttlemiesters. End of rant!:thumbsup:

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    In a constant quest to make riding just a little different, I am also lookin for one of those injectors that pump either the liquid from smoke generators or spider webs into the header pipe.

Just the thing for making entrances and exits from bike night when wheelies and stoppies have become cliche'.

19. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

I used an Nep on my old '86VFR700,a Vista Cruise on my old '97VFR750,and currently use a Throttlemeister on my '03VFR800. Each has it's good and bad points. The Nep and Vista Cruise are fairly cheap,easy to install,and super easy to use. The Throttlemeister is a more expensive,much more refined upscale component,and is easy to use as well.

I went through three NEP's on my '86,one I broke,one I wore out,and one that went with the bike when I sold it. It worked perfectly fine as long as the tensioning adjustment was set correctly. There was a little set screw on the back side of the NEP directly behind the thumb lever that was used to set the throttle locking tension. You needed an allen wrench to adjust it.

The Vista Cruise that I used on my '97 didn't quite fit properly between the right handset switch housing and raised lip on the throttle pipe. It was too thick,and the throttle would hang up even with the throttle unlocked. I ended up filing and sanding it to thin it down a bit. Once massaged though,it worked perfectly fine. The throttle lock tensioning adjustment on the Vista Cruise worked pretty much the same way as the NEP,but you needed a screw driver to adjust the set screw.

The Throttlemeister that I'm currently using on my '03 is made of top quality materials,and the machinework is flawless. Plainly stated though,it's expensive. But you get what you pay for. When I bought mine,they offered either a longer (heavier) or shorter (lighter) bar-end weight,whichever you preferred. You rotate the bar-end weight toward you to lock the throttle,and away from you to release the throttle. The real beauty of the Throttlemeister is that the more you rotate that bar-end weight toward you the more throttle locking tension that's applied. Infinitely adjustable on the fly by you with no tools necessary. I thought at first that it might be a bit awkward to use the Throttlemeister,but I actually found it fairly intuitive and easy to use once I got the hang of it. The Throttlemeister is made right here in Wisconsin by Marker Machine. They're located about two miles away from where I live. I actually got to meet and speak to Fred,the guy who makes them,while one of his guys installed the Throttlemeister on my bike.

All three of these throttle locks work perfectly fine. They all do the exact same job. In the end the decision is yours Danimal. Do you go with the cheaper NEP or Vista Cruise which require a tool to adjust the locking tension,and look a bit gangly mounted on the clip-on. Absolutely 100 percent functional though. Or do you shell out the big bucks for the more upscale Throttlemeister which costs more,takes a bit longer to install,but requires no tools to adjust the locking tension,and integrates so well into the clip-on that you'd never know it's there. Hope this helps you Danimal,Good Luck with your decision.

20. Spectre

Spectre New Member