Damn Harley Guy!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JoshVFR, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I did the bulk of my riding on 70s vintage BMWs and British bikes. My R90/6 had one front disk brake, a rubber brake line a yard long and a cable actuated master cylinder under the tank. Due to all the play in the system, you could pull the brake lever back to the bar and never slide the front tire. To this day, the thing I love about modern bikes is the fantastic brakes. Old habits dictate that I leave a mile of space in front of even my VFR. I just can't get over how quickly I can stop.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

In all fairness any bike vibrates some, save the electric models. In time this transmitted vibration does affect circulation and can cause numbing in the extremities. The problem with Harleys is that this effect after a smidgen over 20 minutes causes numbness in the head. This condition is residual and medical science has not found a cure.

3. Badbilly

United States
    Did you ever think that maybe that cable was worn out, stretching or just out of adjustment? Low fluid in the master cylinder, hydraulic pressure expanding that "rubber" line, entrained air or worn pucks in the caliper? The brakes on the Commando weren't much better.

So with all the problem with stopping. Do the shift patterns get you too? Do you find yourself running in 4th cog a lot?

I'm thinking you might benefit from a brushup day at one of the riding schools instead of relying on old habits formed by riding that old iron.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I guess I misrepresented myself. My old BMW was in great working order but it had a single, 70s era, brake with both cable flex and line flex. No amount of service would have made it a good brake save a modern upgrade. When the K bikes came out my old boss threw me the keys to a new K75 and said "go ride." The first thing I did was almost throw myself over the bars by grabbing my usual handful of front brake.

As for following close, I prefer to keep what I feel is a safe distance from cars and bikes ahead of me. I know I have the brakes but it's not always about the braking time. Sometimes it's about stupid things people do that make last minute braking hazardous. I tend not to rely on the brakes anyway. With my VFR I can accelerate out of trouble easier than I can brake to avoid it.

No, the feel and the shift patterns are so different that I never confuse the VFR from the Norton. My Norton has an updated front disk with braided steel line. It will stop but it still feels wooden by modern standards.

5. Badbilly

United States
    Glad to hear you have it all wired.

6. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Lets be honest... we sport riders are just jealous of them and their bikes. The picture below for example. Be amazed at the awsomeness of this...this....hmmmm.

(Not that this guy had the ingenuity and skill to build this but he added a stripper pole to the bed.)

(this is a real picture I took out in the parking lot of Lowes)

harley.jpg

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Yep. I think you nailed it. I'm just jealous.

8. Durk

Durk New Member

Let's just get this out there.
    You have have a harley to ride tandem with your beast wife.
    :behindsofa:

9. wildstang

wildstang New Member

hmmmm....funny thing is i ride to sturgiss SD (rally) every year and constantly see harleys being ridden and raced daily at the rally speeding all over the place like they own the road. also look at the sturgiss rally death statistics on how many harley riders die each year here in SD because they ride carelessly. while your at it also check how many deaths are non harleys. very very few of them if any. and its not because its only harleys who go to sturgiss either. i ride a honda there every year and see thousands of non harleys every year! i know most people will blame it on the automobile drivers carelessness for running these bikers over and injuring them or worse killing them. its because they dont pay attention to the cars around them they get killed here yearly in SD!

10. wildstang

wildstang New Member

Last year, 16 motorcyclists died and 508 were injured in crashes on South Dakota highways. Statistics show that nearly 30 percent of motorcycle crashes in South Dakota occurred in four counties — Custer, Lawrence, Meade and Pennington — during a 12-day period surrounding the Sturgis motorcycle rally.

checked the statistics and all 16 that died were on a harley!!! and 508 accidents! my god those must not be harley riders either huh!!!

info: http://www.allaboutbikes.com/bike-p...2797-motorcycle-deaths-on-the-road-to-sturgis

look at the age group also. predominantly older people who ride harleys.
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/motorcycle-accident-statistics.htm

11. Badbilly

United States
    I bet if the nationwide stats were compiled they would reflect much the same trend. Not including the smaller Hogwallers where they have shootouts of the 9mm kind.

Just an observation but IMO, many of the "accidents" that occur to harleydoods are caused by what I call "owling". Watch a vid or a series of stills on how an owl moves it's entire head to view dinner. Harleydoods do much the same thing to see who is looking at them. Harleydoods are not the only culprits in this scenario but if they are wearing some of those sillyass things on their heads that pass for crash helmets. it's more obvious and they do crash a lot..

12. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Or if it is a drag bike using nitromethane.

13. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Or if it's dragged by a VFR

14. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    It only makes sense to have a Harley as a drag bike. They are loud and can only go straight.

15. Badbilly

United States
    I like the idea of dropping a nitro burning Harley drag bike out of an airplane. I bet if Evel Knevel was still around he'd ride it. Maybe they'll do something like that for the next James Bond movie or Ironman VI.

16. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Those things rarely have actual H-D motors in them. The pretentious cunts build custom billet motors and a custom frame, then stick a Hardley badge on the tank.

17. Badbilly

United States
    It's a wonder HD doesn't file suit on some of the builders for copyright infringement. Possibly because most of those drag meets operate under the "All Harley Drags" banner.

Wrote this about 15 years ago.

Lazlo Toth was a character developed by Jay Novello, known to some as Father Guido Sarducci . Wrote a book called "Letters from Lazlo" Funny as hell..

Sweethogs

Are you sick and tired of only being able to get foreign made aftermarket parts for your American Motorcycle? We thought so. Welcome to a taste of our company and website featuring American parts and accessories for Americans and American Motorcycles.
    Thank-you Jesus for America and God Bless Ronald Reagan, Willie G. , Rush Limbaugh and Jesus when you come again we know you will be riding an American Motorcycle and we pray that nobody hassles you about not wearing a stupid crash helmet. If they do we will give you our lawyer's cell phone number. Amen.

Thanks to my wife Doris and the four girls Doris age 9, Doris age 8, Doris age 5 and little Doris age 2.
    We are online at:

www.Sweethogs.com

Our products are made in America, by Americans, for Americans for America for American Motorcycles.
    Here is a sample of our extensive catalog. We hope you like our stuff.

The Sweethogs Odometer Advance Kit

Complete with tools and instructions written in American.
    Don't let your image suffer just because its your first American motorcycle and it only has 800 miles on it. Jack up those miles and nobody will think you are just a punk who only rides once a month.

The Sweethogs Roadgrunge In a Can

Just the thing to carry in your glovebox when you haul your bike to Daytona, Sturgis or just across town. A few quick squirts and it looks like you just did a thousand mile day.

Sweethogs Condoms

Black with faux leather fringe. Available in several sizes but each condom has "LARGE" printed on it. Watch for our new glow in the dark model. Available soon.

The Sweethogs Inflatable Drip Pan

A few leaks? Not to worry! Be the first on your Cul de sac to own this hot new item. Inflated it is a giant 2X3 feet and deflated is smaller than a can of snoose. Blow it up in seconds or try our optional C02 filler kit.

The Sweethogs Tattoo Maker

Hundreds of images on our CD. Ready for Windows. Dozens of fonts, flags and skulls. Lasts for days and are easily removable with vegetable spray. Comes complete with a dozen transfer sheets to get you going on your first tat.

The Sweethogs Spool Wheel Kit

This is a cover that makes it look like you aren't running a front brake. A very cool 60s look when front brakes weren’t needed.

The Sweethogs Training Wheel Set

New rider and a little unsure? Do not fret, we have a solution for you.
    Cleverly disguised as a set of saddlebags, the wheels and struts are inside the bags and just a whisper of the wheels show. Stability without loss of Image is just around the corner.

The Sweethogs American Atlas of Maps

Tired of going around corners? These maps are for you. Hundreds of routes getting you to your favorite destination on the straightest roads in America. Get rid of those dizzy and disorienting curves and take in the scenery.

The Sweethogs Monthly Resturaunt Run

With the demise of Taco Thursday and what the heck, Tacos aren't American anyway, starting in June at Big Jim’s Drive in, it will be Caviar Thursday. Try their great Salmon Caviar made from American made Salmon. In July, its Pate Foi Gras at Fat Ernie’s Hog Waller and Bean Emporium, made from American made Geese. Valet parking is available.

The Sweethogs Anti-Handling Kit

This is our all time favorite and best seller. Our certified mechanics will drain and replace your fork oil with our aircraft grade soft epoxy reducing preload and rebound to an absolute minimum. For the other end.
    we disassemble your rear shocks, heat them a cheery cherry red to remove all temper from the springs. This lowers your bike about two inches and gives you that cool raked look.
    This exclusive service puts you in touch with the tarmac and gives you that hardtail feel.
    Also, check out our custom babbit steering head races.We can customize them just for you from a gentle headshake at 35mph or a really neat tankslapper at the double nickel..

Remember this is just a sample of our huge on line catalog. We have hundreds of unusual and aftermarket parts for your American Motorcycle. In fact from our parts stock you can replace every part on your American Motorcycle and it will still be American.

Check it out and God Bless America.

18. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Oh, man, that needs to be PhotoShopped!

19. Badbilly

United States
    Patented then sold to HD would be better for me.. Just think of the toys I could have from something like that.

I had a whole list of "Sweethog" products that got left out and got lost somewhere.. one was snoose cans that instead of snoose contained 16 types of self adhesive neoprene insects that one could apply to one's teeth, The "Mad Dog , Mad Bitch and Mad Puppy" line of clothing for family outings ect..

A bit of "claim to fame" was a blurb in an issue of Andy Goldfine's Aerostitch catalog for the road grunge in a can. A bud of mine knows Andy and sent it to him. my bud writes books about HD but rides a Moto-Guzzi.

Fame and fortune are but a putt away..

20. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member