damn !!!! it's cold out there

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by KrautBurner, Jan 24, 2008.

1. KrautBurner

KrautBurner New Member

but it was sunny,
    so, I had to go for a ride :biggrin:

monday,
    roommate and I went for a nice lil 150 mile jaunt
    temps topped out about 38* and settled in at 24* by the time we got home.

surprizingly, there wasn't much sand/grit (or even ice) on the road

saw a few slick spots out on the backroads near belfair
    but, nothing that wasn't easy enough to avoid (just had to keep our eyes open)

then rode into work tonight (30* expecting 22-24* when I go home in the morning)

anyone else around here riding?

2. sspilotmi

sspilotmi New Member

The high today was 0 F. My VFR is in a shed outside, the door to the shed is frozen shut and cannot be opened. No riding here for a long time.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL yep very cold for this side of the country, 17 till about 10am for the last 3 days never really gets above 35. almost thought it would be good enough today for a quick around the block I saw 43 on a bank, but nope when I got home it was all ready 34 and the sun heading down, at least it's dry out for the time being. still..:rolleyes:

4. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Rode to work last week, 19F when I left but warmed up to low 40's for the way home. I'm working on saving up the cash for heated grips. My hands are usually the only thing that gets cold. Usually by march it warms up enough here to start riding on a more regular schedule. Low 20’s F is about my limit right now, we’ll see if heated grips make a difference.

Action

5. blackjack_mike

blackjack_mike New Member

Map
    Snow on the roads in my subdivision so the VFR is staying tucked away with the Battery Tender hooked up to her for a little while longer. I hope Spring comes soon! I'm suffering withdrawl!

6. Ancon

Ancon New Member

United States
    Map
    That's usually my philosophy too--I'll 'Michelin man' it and ride when it's sunny and clear no matter how cold, but there's so much friggin' salt on our roads, I'm afraid I'll slide in a corner. Not to mention the effect salt has on engine parts, wheels, etc.

7. Interceptor1

Interceptor1 New Member

-10 F here.:biggrin1:

8. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I've rode every day this week to work, the coldest I've seen the temperature gage was 25*...

9. PARedVFRRider

PARedVFRRider New Member

Just got back from Houston, but it was raining all three days I was down there. I plan on riding a bit tomorrow, it's suppose to be Sunny and clear but yes cold. 17 low and 34 high. I plan to get at least 80 miles in tomorrow. I hear the midwest (Iowa) is down around -20, darn that is really cold!

10. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    warmer when raining in SOCAL

I ride every day in the Los Angles area and when its raining its usually in the low to mid 60s. But lately when there are clear skies its mid to high 50s during the day and low to mid 40s in the wee early morning hours. Anyway, still hasn't been cold enough this year for me to break out my full face helmet. I'm still riding with my birt bike helmet and at this rate the full face won't make it out this year. In the low 40s I throw my enduro jacket (water/wind proof) on over my leather jacket, but that's pretty much it.

11. Moochy

Moochy New Member

Map
    Hey all . . . kind of a newbie question:

How much of a difference does that fairing make for cold weather riding? I've only owned naked bikes, and this time of year I'm looking like the Michelin Man or maybe the little brother in The Christmas Story when I go out . . . electric gloves rock btw! I'm going to demo an '07 VFR this weekend, but will not have a chance to really put the long distance effects of the fairing to the test (sheesh, dealers are stingy with them there Interceptors). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

12. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Better off riding in Seattle than SOCAL? According to the news this morning, SOCAL is beating Seattle by more than 1/2 an inch of rain fall so far this year.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    well, my opinion is they help quite a bit. the more fairing, the more wind that you don't feel=the cold you can ride. Even with my stock screen on, I start tucking behind when the temp really gets low. Every little bit helps. I used to have the givi touring screen and it helped a lot but was butt ugly.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    tell me about it. I haven't ridden in almost a week. I was thinking of riding in the rain yesterday. I can't take this much longer... If I just go a little slower I should be okay. The water will help clean the bike too right.

15. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    the fair helps with keeping wind off my legs but not my neck unless I'm tucked flat on the tank. As long as you keep skin covered it's not too bad.

On your visit to the dealer.... if you sit on the center stand, ask the sales guy to stand behind you and make v-4 noises as you pretend to go through the gears. If he's good, he'll rock the bike back and forth when you shift, and when his imaginary engine sounds gets between 6 & 7 K rpms, he'll get louder (VTEC transistion) all the way up to the redline. Tell him your purchase is contingent on his ability to make the correct sounds.

If you're game, you could ask him to make aftermark exhaust sounds as well.

I imagine this would be a great gag to pull with a hidden camera to see if you actually could get the sales guy to help.

16. Moochy

Moochy New Member

Map
    Hehe, a local gear salesman actually did that for me after asking about VFR's (while my wife about killed herself while stifling a full-on horse laugh!). I'm sure he had to have heard us once we let loose in the car.

Yeah, I can stay confortable down to the 20's with a FF helmet, neck wrap, leather jacket, and overpants. The heated gloves take care of the nip in the finners. I'm hoping that the Interceptor I eventually get (you guys have talked me into one) will fit the bill as a less-than-comfy-climate and long-distance machine that my Thruxie just wasn't meant for. I'm looking at adding a Laminar Lip to further help with the wind blast.

17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Whew! Brrr 15.1 this morning and it's still 15.5 yea, yea, not cold by some, But for out here it is. Seems a warm front is going to be coming up from N.Ca where its raining, so we just might have snow tomorrow.

18. Taz

Taz New Member

Yesterday I saw the sun poke through @2pm & thought since the streets were clear I'd go for a scoot :biggrin:

I walk out my office door @ 5pm & "WTF" 2 inches of fresh snow :smow: & everything iced up :jaw:

So far all is iced up, & I'm hoping the sun will melt that off today or this will be the 1st whole week since I moved here that I didn't ride at least 2 day's a week.:frown:

Well I'll be in SoCal next weekend so I'll make up for lost riding time :wink:
    even if it rains down there, I'll ride especially with my trusty Dunlop 616's, they F'ing rock in the wet stuff :rockon:

19. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    You got it. Years ago, I used to be wary about getting my bike wet by riding in the rain. But then it dawned on me, hey it gets wet when I wash it. Now if it wasn't for riding in the rain, my bike would never get washed. lol

20. marksvfr

marksvfr New Member

Hi all, I just joined this cool site. Hats off to the folks that started it. I just bought my 1st VFR last week. ( 1995 VFR 750 ) I have been wanting one of these for years. I can tell you that other than upgrading to a newer model someday, I am a deticated VFR rider for life. I have been out quite a bit last week, now we got some snow so all I do is look @ her everyday. I live in Gresham OR, on the east side of Portland. I will be up for riding with anyone, please let me know. Thank You. Mark