Delkevic Stubby 350mm Oval Carbon Fibre Silencer install on 8th gen.

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Nelix, Sep 8, 2016.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    That looks great Bubba!!! The chrome looks awesome - I struggled over the chrome v. carbon decision but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I bet your neighbors appreciate your decision to leave the baffle in! Without the baffle it's basically just a straight pipe :witless: Although since the connector pipe comes downstream of the cat I don't think it would really qualify as a true "straight pipe"? Maybe a resident exhaust expert can chime in on that terminology question. Anyway, I'm very pleased to hear you like it!

P.S. Don't be a dumbass like me and burn your leg on the connector pipe :glee:
    Link: http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/52830-I-should-have-worn-pants

2. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    For me the Delkevic 8" mini stainless is perfect. I think the bike needs more silver or chrome color to it. To much black, red and bronze.

IMG_0131.jpg

3. amoreira88

amoreira88 New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Installed this bad boy the other day
    Has any one noticed better fuel economy?
    Or is it just I've changed my riding style and I stay below 6000 rpms cause the loud growl scares me

4. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Beautiful, so shiny and new! Yeah the first couple times I heard the VTEC kick in with the Delk it was pretty crazy sounding but you'll soon get used to it and then crave it - just make sure you're wearing ear protection!

5. SubjectArc

SubjectArc New Member

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for making this write up. I just finished my 8" shorty Delk install by following this. Big improvement on stock. Thanks for putting it in layman terms. Cheers

6. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Really like the price of the Delk, I've read recommendations for DAM as well.
    I'm looking for a pipe with deep growl that won't break the bank. More rumble without being really loud. I seem to draw enough attention from the cops with the "arrest me red" color.

Recommendations?

7. SubjectArc

SubjectArc New Member

Exhaust tone is tough because it's so subjective and often the uploaded sound isn't up to par. If money is no object, the DAM would not disappoint. I wanted the full carbon DAM, but at that price I felt it was better to try a cheaper option first.

Some YouTube time between the Delk 8" and the DAM, made me feel they sounded pretty similar. Check them out and see what you think. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the the Delk was pretty close IRL to its uploaded video sound. Removable baffle will help if you feel it's too loud without.

I also liked that the slimmer profile shows off the single swing arm. Really a poor choice on Honda's part not doing more to showcase that aesthetic.

And the price (Low $200's) compared to the DAM I wanted (high 600's) made it a bit easier to pull the trigger on the Delk. Glad I did!

Hope this helps

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Arc - ! appreciate you sharing your opinion.

9. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    The biggest deal about the baffle on a delk muffler is it doesn't stifle the idle, it WILL however take the edge off the topend howl. I think literally too, it kills a little bit of HP I'm betting.

10. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    This sounds like something I'm trying to achieve - a nice throaty rumble at idle and right off idle, but not a droning howl at speed.
    Thanks for identifying this Volded.

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    You can hear my Delk mini w/out baffle at speed in this vid linked below - it's fairly unobtrusive just tooling along but sounds f'ing awesome when you get on it. I have the vid set to start at 10:15 just before I drop down a gear and accelerate up to triple digit speeds :beguiled: Then around the 12:00 mark I come to a full stop and idle before doing an acceleration run up to about 75 or so where you can hear the engine wind up to redline. Around the 27:20 mark I accelerate up a highway onramp to about 85 or so and at the very end drop down into 6th gear to cruise around 90. You can barely hear the exhaust at that point so it's not a problem at all IMO. Note that when cruising steadily along in 6th gear VTEC won't kick in until around 97 mph or so which contributes to keeping things quiet when cruising below that. I have a ton of other vids with the Delk on my YT channel if interested in seeing more - see link in my sig.

https://youtu.be/cMD1sZXSlxY?t=10m15s

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice Greg - I know it's hard to tell from some audio sources, but that doesn't sound obtrusive at all. That's with or without the DB killer in place?

13. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    It's without the baffle. Actually, all my vids are without the baffle. One of these days I'll finally get around to putting it in to try it out :glee:

14. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    That's not bad at all without the baffle - I think this is my next addition :eagerness:

15. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Watch this first :glee: If you can live with the extremely loud and barbaric idle than go for it! Personally, I love it and have decided it's okay - I just try to be somewhat considerate of my neighbors if I'm riding early in the morning or late at night. For example, I'll make sure the bike is in position to start moving as soon as I start it up - basically idling out of the subdivision if it's very early in the morning. Same thing late at night - I'll idle in the last bit and immediately shut it off once in the garage. No complaints yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7X3KxaPtN8

16. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    That *sounds* great, but probably wee bit louder than I'm looking for - with the baffle in, it should be fine.
    No joke though, that does sound great.

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    VFR_Mike, I have the baffle in and I will keep it that way! It still sounds great and the gurgle is there down shifting. The reason why I did keep it in is because I am not 18-23yrs old or on the track! I think this is a civilized bike that just needed a little something but not a lot IMO. You can make your own decision since it is removable and replaceable.

I saw the videos including Gators when I bought mine and had it installed. I decided to keep it in first and go from there. The main reason for me is that the local police and the UHP (State Police) tend to fine sport bikes more that any Harley with straight pipes. It's a $120 fine for noise ordinance violations in Utah and the court can mandate that you have the stock pipe put back on to register it again (yes if you are a "wrencher" like most on the site, you can spend a day and reverse it). I understand why the police and the focus on our type of bike. The reason is that they "scrap up" more 16-23yr olds bodies on sport bikes or perceived sport bikes (anything with a fairing or "street fighters") than Harley riders between 35-65ryrs (they are "Scraped Up" because the hit to many bars on a Sunday afternoon). As we all know our bikes (being sport intended and/or with full body fairings) produce between 105-190hp and Harleys for the most part (early versions) only between 55-70hp and weigh a shit ton which is the majority of them out there! The new Harleys do have so "Fun" to them these days but not that type of rider.

18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    No you won't!;-)

19. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Has anyone had a Dyno done with the stock pipe and afterward on the Delk pipe installed? Also Delk has three lengths of slip on's! Does one that is closer to the original pipe better or one that is shorter. Does the Delk with a 2" exit suit beter that the mini that has a 3-4" exit opening? I hope that with your statement- without much knowledge that a slip on without changing the header will do this (" it WILL however take the edge off the topend howl. I think literally too, it kills a little bit of HP I'm betting") Is this because of negative or positive pressure lost or gained. I looked down both the stock after removed and the Delk mini 8" before installed and I thought that the baffle and air flow was much greater going out with the Delk?

20. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    LOL you're probably right :beguiled: