Desnorkeling Nonsense

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ksoholm, Aug 9, 2017.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    A couple random dino runs is hardly definitive. Different pressures, temperatures, loads....

Fact is that all the technologies added over the years has improved mileage, emissions, as well as performance. Rip the technology off and you're left with that same piece of shit from the 70s.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Lol wow

3. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    This dino run, is it just velociraptors, or can guys like the T rex get involved?

anthonygg13 likes this.
  4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    More the merrier and the livelier the debate!

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, what a thread topic, SMH, gee I Hope I didn't mess it up..........................;)

6. anthonygg13

anthonygg13 New Member

United States
    Has anyone wondered why a supercharger or turbo increases power sometimes by nearly double? Or removing a cat and anything else restricting exhaust flow? More air/fuel equals a huge increase in power. Always has and will. The flapper and snorkel are designed to reduce noise and as a side effect restricts air intake as well. Not sure about the Dino figures and don't care either. My bike runs smoother without it. If I cared about better performance, the last thing I'd do is modify an over weight bike with only 100 horsepower. I'd rather buy something faster from the factory. My 2 cents gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsparky likes this.
  7. Shmerick

Shmerick New Member

United States
    Map
    As I was doing regular K&N filter maintenance and was in there anyway I did the PAIR / Flapper / Snorkel mod last night. On my morning commute it "seemed" to me to have a much smoother throttle response from idle to 3k rpm range. Did I get them gains? Is it now blistering the tires? Am I blowing away 'Busa's? No, not likely; but the loss of the remaining stumble at low end roll on from stop in traffic was noticeable. I did not notice any significant noise difference, with the exception of a very low frequency "growl" perhaps at low revs.
    Could any "noticeable" difference be from simply cleaning the air filter? Perhaps, time will tell.

I will likely leave it off and compare any changes in fuel consumption.

I am running Gen 6 with PC3 USB with the generic slip on map, 2 Bros VALE, K&N air, and now flapper/snorkel/ PAIR mod. No other significant mods.

8. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Wow. I thought this was just a VFR forum of at least some level of like minded individuals (that supposedly have or like VFRs) with opinions that they have a right to differ on. There seems to be a few communistic, politically obsessed, authoritarian, condescending, people cursed with massive arrogance that must have a need to impose their self-righteous miserable lives on others. Life must be a real bitch to them to feel the need to position themselves like that.

Just an observation. I think I'll go ride my lightly modded VFR tomorrow and continue not being one of the miserable ones. Later.

CandyRedRC46, anthonygg13 and Rsparky like this.
  9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Bait has been thrown, who’s going to bite?

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Lol if you think this is bad, you should see what Kristhian posts on the VFR Facebook page...

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think on some bikes that the flapper does actually increase low to low mid torque while doing its main job of noise abatement. Removing it on some bikes will actually cause less low power..... but more noise. A lot of work goes into the balance.

12. Rsparky

Rsparky New Member

United States
    Without a new tune, yes. You're making it leaner.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Not necessarily.

I feel like a lot of the same people that are saying that the snorkel and flapper are specifically tuned to work together to increase air velocity (ram air effect), are the same people saying that if you remove them, you will make it leaner...

You can't have both.

Pick one.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I thought other than noise abatement that the flapper did do both as it does control some of the air flow.

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Well the flap opens up at around 5500 RPMs right? (EPA mandated noise testing point, Peak HP rpm/2). So from idle to about 5500, intake air must flow through the snorkel only. I think the snorkel by itself can flow more than enough air at these low RPMs. I don't think the snorkel by itself poses a big enough restriction at low RPMs to actually control any air flow.

Now say the flapper remained closed for ever or to a much higher rpm, the snorkel would eventually be a restriction at higher rpms, but of course, it doesn't remain closed. I think the point at which the snorkel will start becoming an air restriction, is just beyond the rpm that the flapper opens up. Then with the flap open plus the snorkel, I believe there is more than enough available air flow, to supply a stock VFR800 engine, at higher RPMs.

Being as I do not believe the Snorkel or Flapper pose as an air restriction, at any RPM, I also do not believe that removing them will change any fueling needs or overall air supply CFM in any dramatic way.

I believe that Honda designed the system to be as quiet as possible, while within the EPA mandated testing range (1000-5500 rpms), while still flowing plenty of CFM and then once out of the db testing range (over 5500 RPMs), the flap opens and you get minimal noise suppression and maximum CFM.

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    At the lower rpm's to much air would rob you of low end torque.... Right? Isn't that why say a drag bike tuned for wfo throttle has low numbers at low rpm's?

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    That has more to do with huge cams/big valve over lap and big porting, causing low port velocity, than anything to do with the airbox.

What I have been getting at, is when dealing with Individual throttle bodies, with each having their own velocity stack, the power band is shaped by the velocity stacks, cam specs and port velocity, with little to no effect from the air box air supply, as long as the air box cfm flow is adequate.

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

By saying velocity stacks, what you are really trying to say is that you are getting the intake tract lengths correct.

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys for the info.

20. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    "Intake tracts" has always referred to the intake runners - between the carburetor or throttle body and the cylinder head. The length of these has been studied and adjusted to help create the desired powerband for a given application since the 1940's if not earlier. Longer runners and sometimes even with a smaller diameter will increase the intake charge velocity and boost low/midrange power. Shorter and sometimes fatter runners will boost high RPM power at the expense of low/midrange power. Generally speaking, of course.

"Velocity stacks" have always been mounted on the air inlet side of the carburetor or throttle body often with an incorporated air filter (on cars) - again dating back to the days of the original hotrodders. These used to be tuned to help eliminate low/midrange bogging or flatspots, but don't have any real affect on the amount of power/torque.

Cheers,
    Glenn