Develop and hone your "sixth" sense when riding - short vid by Mick Doohan

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by John451, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Most of the dudes here have built in gonads. All?, could be debated..

The way "they" ride and talking shit IMO, have equal weight.

Moto GP bikes have zip to do with streetbikes as do street riders and the real fast guys who ride the GP bikes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The thread is about "sixth sense". Both types of riders better have a good "sixth sense" to last very long on a bike.

3. Badbilly

United States
    That's my six centavos and I'm sticking to them.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  5. Badbilly

United States
    All those dudes got a lot more than six "centavos." The slo-mo stuff is great. This shows just how much the bike and the riders move. In the next vid in line . The vid is Stoner all by himself at speed. These guys are so fast as to not be believed.

There's a vid out there somewhere that was taken at a WSB event shooting in really slo-mo from the bottom of the Corkscrew at Laguna. Long lens with fairly good depth of field. Almost scientific looking but in reality that leg is haul ass fast.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    A friend rides Laguna often, LDH on here. I don't know how I would do on that first lap going into the corkscrew where the bike is so unloaded and your flicking it over at the same time. The first time cresting the top at Barber I about shat myself. Thankfully I was following a friend that is an instructor. Said it will be blind and fast but do not roll off the throttle, there will be a bunch of track over the top....." I promise". lol You go weightless as you crest at 100+mph and there is plenty of track to go much faster. I like that track better than any other I have been on. LDH has over 10,000 laps there. And the museum is the biggest collection in the world. That alone is worth the trip.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    You're right. It's a great track (purpose built for motorcycles so it ought to be). I don't live far from it so a trip is overdue. I heard the museum is expanded now. Can't imagine that.

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Porsche runs their driving school out of Barber too. I would like to run the heck out of them on that track too. I got to drive 5 different Porches at Miami International Raceway for their Driving Experience on the road coarse and that was a blast, can't even imagine how much fun Barber would be. The museum is 4 floors of heaven and history. Mr Barber did it right. The CNC machines on the bottom floor are amazing too, making parts that do not exist anymore. If you go pay for the full tour, you will learn and see some amazing things. Just the history of 2 wheels alone will blow your mind.

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Did anybody notice @ 0.41 where he says"Get ALL of your braking done before the corner and NOT in it"! I just love it when all these street riders want to learn trail braking. Most think it's using the rear brake going in to a corner to the apex. I always giggle at that. Trail braking is used when you over cook the corner or need to to jump in front of someone else and done by those that are good enough on occasions. A lot of times you end up taking the corner slower (hundredths of a second) because you should be accelerating before or at the apex instead of braking. Most times it also makes you take the corner wider than normal. You see it all the time in bike and car racing.

Plus it's not for the street. Get your braking done before the corner and get down to the proper entrance speed. Most rickie racers can't even do that. Learn the basics first then go for the tricks.

That's because one has over cooked the corner for their abilities. Just look at some track day videos vs racing videos. The track guys are going slow and still don't take the corners right. They also don't have the rpms 6,000 or above all the time. Makes a huge difference in cornering.

Four wheel drifting cars is a lot easier than one or two wheel drifts on a bike. Sliding the front tire is a lot trickier than sliding the rear and a tad more dangerous. So you haven't even had any track days let a lone racing experience. Mmmmm how do you know what your saying is even true? Read it in a magazine or on the internet?

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I trail brake in almost every corner on the track. Except if we are doing no brake drills. Do it right and your lap times will drop. You should not be running wide from trail braking, if anything the compression on the forks should make turn in easier. Unless your bikes geometry is not right to start with, as are I dare say most bikes at typical track days. lol