Differences in Stators

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OOTV, May 13, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Other than the connector that plugs into the RR, does anyone know for sure whether the 98-99 stator (31120-MBG-003) is any different than the 00-01 stator (31120-MBG-D01). I inadvertently ordered the 1999 version for my 01. The connector I'm not worried about as that'll be soldered to the RR wires. More worried about the part that sits in the motor...

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Looked on eBay and same stators are listed for 1998-2002.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm pretty sure the windings and mounting holes will be the same but before I took everything apart, I thought I'd check. Most likely it's the connector that's the difference. The part numbers are different and probably for that reason. Well I'll know in a few as I'm going to remove the old regardless. Whether I install the 99 will depend on what I find. Thanks for chiming in or is that "chimping" in? Have to check with Long on that...

4. riprocop

riprocop New Member

United States
    Map
    BTW where did you buy your stator?

5. HellFishTat

HellFishTat New Member

United States
    Map
    I would look on a Honda Dealer microfiche site before I took eBay to be gospel

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    If you go to sites like partzilla, you will see multiple part numbers for the same part, since the first 5 digits are the same and the middle 3 are the same, I think you can be safe in thinking the part is the same.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I usually buy from Partzilla.com (No affiliation with Revzilla). They seem to have decent prices and most of the time I get the parts within 3-4 days with normal ground shipping. If I recall correctly, they're in St. Louis.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

So I went ahead and removed the old stator and installed the '99 model as the only thing that appeared to be different was the 3 pin connector. Since I was going to solder those wires to the RR wires, that became a non issue. I have to say this stator looked a hell of a lot better than the one I pulled off my 09 when I had to change that one. Although the 09 did have 15k+ miles more on it.

Old Stator:

[​IMG]

New ('99) Stator:

[​IMG]

New and old:

[​IMG]

New on top of old:

[​IMG]

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Thanks to member 'northerndan', I was reminded about this post. Typical me, I never did do a follow up, so I guess now would be a good time. Although it could probably be deduced that the two stators are identical enough to be swapped, I figured it would be best to say it. Other than the connector that goes to the RR, these appeared to be physically the same, whether they produce the same wattage output, I can't say but I have been running my 5 Gen with it for a while now without any issues and my volt meter shows good voltage. Since it is common practice for many to just ditch the stator/RR connector anyway, I will say this could be a replacement for the now discontinued 00-01 stator.