DIY Stainless Brake Lines

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by DaHose, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all,

I have been debating with which braided brakeline kit to buy, but none of them look like, or do exactly what I want. I want a single line from the M/C, that feeds into a clean split, but that is long enough to also work with my superbar converted setup. Everyone wanted me to measure, and gauge angle of connection, but I already had some parts that have been working fine. I just wanted to clean it up with proper length hoses. Eventually, I landed at this web site.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/byo-Build-Your-Own

As long as you use strictly their products, and follow their instructions, you end up with a DOT rated product. I ordered up some hose, two straight banjo ends and two straight inverted flare ends. I already had a single hose from my master cylinder and a solid, aluminum distribution block. Here are some pics of what I ended up with.

This is the right side line going from the caliper to the distribution block.

This is the brake line crossing over the fender and connecting to the distribution block. The top line is the single line that goes to the M/C.

This is the short line on the left side that goes straight into the junction block. Notice how I re-used a mounting for the linked brake hard lines. It all looks very tidy, and downright OEM. There is a stainless manifold Magnum sells (a t-fitting) that looks good, but it has no mounting provision. That's why I went with my existing distro. block.

I also considered using a long banjo bolt on the left caliper and going with a long crossover hose, but the setup using my existing junction block just made way too much sense. Price for the Magnum stuff is in-line with what you will pay for pre-made lines, so remember that my intent was NOT to get some lines cheap. It was to get exactly what I wanted, and use parts I like, and already had. While I had everything apart, I also took apart, and rebuilt the master cylinder. My end result is exactly the setup I wanted.

Let me tell ya' that braided front brake lines REALLY improve braking feel over the OEM rubber lines. If you intend to keep your linked brake setup, and have been debating the value of braided lines, stop thinking about it and get em'!

Jose

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Lint likes this.