Do not buy K&N Wrench On oil filters: Busted on me

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EricTrant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map

Proper install will not guarantee it will not fail. I have had a failure at the O ring on my CBR track bike and on the VFR. If you look back I posted photos from a guy on VFRD that shows what the problem is, he used calipers and measured the stock oem filter and the K&N. The K&N is NOT THE RIGHT SIZE! This causes the O ring to be on the very edge of sealing properly. Add the weld of the nut being much weaker than it use to be for whatever reason and I think that K&N does have a real problem that they are ignoring.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    LMFAO, best post of this thread.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    From best to worst...

why do you keep buying a leaky oil filter-it would stupidity comes to mind. all you have to do is see is Donald triumph win comes to mind. I do think installation does come into play here too-tighten up that Nut till it hits 100 pds of torque-gee it leaks just like your head does

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm sure improper installation does make the problems on the filter worse. On the nut and the O ring. K&N just does not seem to care.

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Yes, the best comment to date, your right BB! Napa has their Platinum
    filter on sale right now till end of month for $8.42-I am going to pick up two myself.

6. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Best comment? Bad punctuation, and horrible grammar, l had to read it 3 times to figure out what he was saying.

I almost always use Honda filters. I think l had a filter with the nut on the end once. I didn't have any problems. That little hole in the nut would come in handy for track days, tho. Badmouth the K+Ns all you want. Just leave the lawyers out ot this.

7. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You have the option of buying the OEM filter and wrench combo. The wrench is 3/8 drive. It can be used with a torque wrench and torqued to spec. You can get a feel for what the equivalent "hand tightness" should be from there.

Long live the Torque Hammer.....

8. Badbilly

United States

SOW may be a lawyer. Eeeek!

9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Email and photos...no response.
    Not even a request for my address to send me a new K&N. They are ignoring the problem IMO.

And FYI...I'm not the sue happy type. Don't even care about that Harbor Freight suit. BUT, there are times when a company knowingly puts employees and/or consumers at risk for the sake of the almighty dollar. Are people just expected to roll over and not fight back at times? Slippery slope, but it's only a matter of time before a failure from this product, even from proper installation, causes a death.

10. Badbilly

United States
    The questions so far IMO are, does K&N know about the oil filter failures? I think so. Is K&N going to fix the problem? Maybe. Is K&N going to admit their oil filters are faulty? Nope.

This is a pretty good primer on product liability. This also applies to our favorite regulator/rectifiers and more than a few crappy wire terminals.:

http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/what-is-product-liability.html

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Yes I just passed a law req trolls to get paid Min wage-no more cheating trolls out of their have earned dough-oh this is fake News:fish:

12. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I've had a horrible, horrible experience with Sprint (cell phone service) starting 1/3/17. I sent s letter to the CEO, 14 days ago. It takes the mail 2 days to get there. I finally recieved a call from them yesterday. I was very polite, but very business like, on the phone. But l let them know exactly how l felt.

I have worked for UPS for 36 years. One of the many things that I have learned, is Put it on Paper. Don't know why exactly. Maybe because, now there is physical evidence? Try paper the next time you have an issue. I don't know if it does any good, but occationally, l send a letter to my Rep, and Congressman. Mr Trump needs those guys to back him up.

If you get that replacement K+N, and you don't want it, send it to me. I will tell every body what a good gal you are!

13. Badbilly

United States
    Great leader did not sign your bill into law. The new law is that instead of anyone receiving minimum wage, has to pay great leader the same amount or they get deported. The entire amount goes to a special fund that accounts for great leader's time on the shitter at Mar A Lago tweeting.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The hole is why I was using them on my track bike as some organizations require the filter to be secured. I came very close to high siding from oil on my rear slick, Fuck K&N forever in my book. I know they know.

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Yes our famous leader is robbing everyone in sight-the non secret service is eating fancy steaks while our leader is planning with putin to rule the world split two ways.

18. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Gosh, that makes so much sense. Not used to that any more.....

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    So you and Sniper think that it should be just a "move along, by something different"? Where does responsibility come in? Anne Marie could have bit the farm big time with that K&N failure. I almost had a high speed high side because of a K&N filter. If there is known potentially harmful product then I think the manufacturer should address the problem, not just ignore it because they are so big.

20. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Egad. There is no reason to wrench ON a filter. Always by hand, for any engine I've ever worked on. Cars, bikes, Detroit diesels. If you're reaching for a tool when tightening a filter.... Stop it

They even tell you on their site the nut is for REMOVAL. It's even in the freaking name "wrench off". Crap their filters may be, but you used that fitting for tightening. Which obviously being on the end of a tin can is going to stress metals. Holy herp derp