Dumbest riding mistake - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by mello dude, Feb 5, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    man, I did a superman way before those Xgames guys thought of it. hell, they were in diapers when I did it all thanks to armor all! as far as your harley experience, I think Harley just earned such a monumental bad reputation when AMF bailed them out of bankruptcy that the residula effects are still there. You have to admit that, a LOT of the bikes they produced back then were embarassing. They are much much better about QC now and I wouldn't mind having a newer one (that wouldn't bleed all over my garage)

2. Brit

Brit New Member

That tops ALL the other STUPID things I've done on a bike LOL

3. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    When I first took my Interceptor on the highway I figured I would open it up a little. I grabbed a hand full of throttle and the front end lifted off the ground, at the same time I hit a cross wind and crossed two lanes for traffic before I got both wheels on the ground. It took me a little while to get the berries to try that again. That little bike is so light that it doesn't take much to blow it around.
    Hey Emon07 When I was 16 I did fall asleep at the wheel. I shouldn't have made it out of it alive. The roof was crushed down about 3 feet on the drivers side. I think not wearing a seat belt actually saved my life. I recieved a broken nose from folding the steering wheel over and a couple of bruised ribs. I'll post some pics if I can find them.

4. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    None of these are really extraodinarily stupid. Surely someone has a truly de-de-de moment that they'd like to share!:caked:

5. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Jaymz - now that is some scary sh&^*it to go through. Years ago when I had a 1971 AMC Javelin, I was in Texas on 75 going to Paris, Texas when I dozed off for maybe a matter of seconds. When I looked up I was getting ready to hit the guardrail and go down into a ditch. I turned the wheel for what seemed like an eternity and somehow missed hitting the guardrail. I never let that happen again. Because I like to travel alone a lot (why bring sand to the beach), I will not hesitate to pullover for a quick nap when needed. I gotta add one thing to Reg71s comment about Harley bikes. I agree with him, but I have to say that the empty corporate suits at AMF never really made a Harley - they only made a mess trying to pimp out the company for money and capatilize on the image and reputation of Harley - There should be a law that would require the AMF creeps to ride the crappy bikes they made for the rest of their lives and suffer through all the problems.

6. dskelton

dskelton New Member

Don't know if this rises to the level of extraodinarily stupid, but the results were catastrophic. While riding two up with a date on my CB 750, I got pulled over because a portion of my rear tail light was chipped out. (white light showing backwards). We were going down hill at the time and when I stopped I just pulled up along the curb. Don't remember why I didn't back into the curb, but... So, my date gets off and stands on the sidewalk while I sit on the bike. The cops asks for license, and I stand up to get my wallet, and the only thing holding the bike down on the side stand was removed. Bike and I both went tumbling into the street. DOH!
    The catstropy? I quietly rode home alone.

7. grinder

grinder New Member

I think the video clip at the end of the "How Fast" post has to take the cake though. Dumb on so many levels it boggles the mind.

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Allowing myself to be seen in public riding a Harley.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    How about letting RW be in the lead? I'll never do that again LOL

10. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    You win!!:eek:

11. vfr23

vfr23 New Member

accident pic for vfrworld.jpg
    i didnt fall asleep....i was acting like a jackass on the way to work with bald tires and went fishtailing down into the ditch thus hitting a pipe under a driveway causing my car to flip and slide back into the rode spewing all of my trash and belongings into the street......torn ear and broken thumb.....lesson install the aftermarket traction bars and rear swaybar upgrade and keep new tires on one......catastrophy.....it was totalled with only 60k miles.....now for a riding mistake......picture this......riding along in slow traffic in a 45 zone right line of a 3 wide south direction.....old lady to the left and a merge sign for road work coming up.....quick what to do.....downshift and hit it.....DOH!!!....to 2nd gear not first...lol.....snapped the throttle not knowing and sent the front flying up....all i saw was a nice blue sky.....till i let of the throttle and relaxed my bung hole....thanx for reading lol before vfr 001.jpg

12. Bruise Lee

Bruise Lee New Member

Map
    Shoulda stayed home

I went riding sportbike riding one afternoon with guys. They wanted me to lead, I had no problem with it so off I went. We were on this fairly tight country road(the kind with no lines). The road meandered down this hill, we were rolling along through these lazy esses at approximately 50 mph. Then a 180 degree, decreasing off camber switchback just showed up from behind this bush.:mad: No big deal I thought at the time. You all know, look through the turn,feed in some front brake, grab a lower gear, and all will be good. Problem was I was riding one of my vintage bikes that fateful day. I was greeted with super wooden brakes that had faded to worse, and the OH S***T feeling rearing it's ugly head.:eek: I ended up running wide and trying to rail the outside berm. It seemed like perfect answer to my prayer at that moment. Until that small IGLOO icechest sized rock appeared in the weeds.:yield: Over the bars I went...................crap. The lesson I that goes as follows(1)when riding with modern sportbikes take the same type of motorcycle(2)don't lead(3)stay in the back when riding the old bikes. By the way I was riding my 1976 Yamaha XS650D. As the HONDA ad states"STUPID HURTS"