electric clothing

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jcm, Oct 29, 2003.

1. jcm

jcm New Member

Can anyone suggest a good set up for an electric vest. I have looked at a lot of different connectors. You can leave a tail hanging out of the front edge of the seat or install a fitting through the bodywork that you plug into. Also, advice on Widder versus other makes? I'd like to get most of November and December as riding time - not easy here in Massachusetts. We had snow on October 15., Thanks, Jeff McQueen

2. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Personally, I use BMW connectors. I have one installed on the faring under the left bar on my '98 VFR. The socket is hot all the time, and I plug the Battery Tender into it when I put it my garage.

As to heated vests: it doesn't get all that cold here in So Cal. I use a Ghiali vest/tunic. It only uses 35 watts, I think, so it wouldn't be suitable for extreme cold. However, I have used it with liners for 50 mile commutes in low 40s temps, and was comfortable.

3. jcm

jcm New Member

Hi Hedgehog: Is the fitting you installed through the left side fairing a female fiting with a spring loaded cap that closes? Is the plastic on the fairing stiff enough to not deflect when you plug and unplug? Do you use a controller, thermostat, or an on/off switch? And where do you place the one you use? Thanks, Jeff McQueen