Electrical problem Ignition system

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Originalnuttah, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Originalnuttah

Originalnuttah New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi everyone first time user not sure if this is the right place to post but any help would be much appreciated.

I currently own a 1990 VFR750 FL had it for 3 years love the bike.

On to the problem, I recently rode the bike from london to the south of france and whist out there she developed a electrical problem while riding (round a hairpin of course). The 10amp start ignition fuse decided to blow and from then every time I tried to start would just blow another one, fiddled with some wires but ended getting her repatriated back to the uk. Three weeks later I got her back put a new fuse in again and she started without blowing the fuse so naturally I've guessed something shorting or broken wire but can't do anything in till she breaks down again.

She worked fine for about 300 miles then popped the fuse again but this time the fuel cut relay and fuel pump decided to go with it. Got her back checked for bad connections in the wires from the relay all was fine, ordered and installed new pump and relay and she worked fine for another 150 miles then decided to die this time the relay had cut the fuel pump so I bypassed the relay to get her back and I noticed she was only running on 3 cylinders. The next day I brought a new spark plug but got no spark so I tried connecting coil 4 on to coil 2 connectors and got a spark so checked the wires from the relay to the cdi then relay to coil number 4 and again all was fine. Now the problem is although I'm showing continuity on the rd/y and the bk/w and the coil is getting hot so I know it is getting power, I'm not getting a spark from number 4 I've tried different coil/leads/plugs and no joy.

Please help if anyone has any suggestions/advice anything I would be very grateful and sorry for the essay and or spelling mistakes. =)

Thanks

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    I feel your pain, there is nothing worse than a "hard to find" electrical glitch!
    I'm sorry that I don't have any advice to help.
    However, I am sure that someone on this forum has been down the same road, and will point you in the right direction.

3. Originalnuttah

Originalnuttah New Member

United Kingdom
    Thank you for the reply and yeah tell me about spent 4 days so far trying to figure this out.

Well I've got an update. I replaced the cdi and got coil 4 working again but what worry's me is that the fuse, relay and cdi all went wrong (all on the same circuit). Has anyone got any advice on trying to find a short or crossed wires as it's the only thing I can think of that would blow all three.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    study the wiring diagram, and find which components are fused on the line that blows. then check out each item separately, unplugged from the harness.