Eliminating Linked Brakes 6th gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by CaptGarvin, May 11, 2018.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Ahhhhhh..... Linked brakes. Should be for bikes over 800 lbs and for people who are not use to using the front brake. lol

2. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    To simplify, say we have a certain pressure on a line connected to two pistons side by side like in a caliper pushing on a brake pad. One piston has a larger diameter than other thus the extra surface the pressure has to work on provides more force,(Pascals Law?) but moves less than the smaller piston due to larger volume of fluid needed to move the same distance. My question I think is with this in mind, for example the rear caliper of my vfr with 3 pistons, the outer 2 are larger diameter than middle, will the force applied to pad be even from the 3 pistons if all linked to one line, which from my un-educated, burned-up brain thinks it is not. Not going forward till figured out. If it is the case then, I plan on just blocking off center left front and rear caliper piston for the trial, and go front there. Thanks for input, is this more clear

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    As I said before, this is coming from an uneducated, burn up brain(was intelligent at one time, but in my lifetime I’ve killed a lot of brain cells, they just turned out to be the ones I needed), the different sized piston configurations I’ve seen are in a two piston caliper designed to give the bottom (smaller diameter) piston a leading contact of the pad to the rotor. Purpose of this is gone with those brain cells I mentioned, but with the smaller piston in the middle I have no idea on what the force behind the pad is as more pressure is applied, but guess the middle is acting on it first.

4. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    Thanks by the way on the video comment, some of the shots the drone was mounted on back of my vfr to take advantage of the gimbaled camera(spur of the moment idea) 1st trip my set up transferred too much vibration to drone and by 3rd had right amount of cushion, weighted balance arm, more cushion, and by this trip my corner speed had improved, but on corner exit as I applied power to get out of the way of my following volunteers the v4 made the video have some shutter, right at the moment I wanted camera to catch them at the max lean on apex, so had to cut out. This summer will have a rig to catch it all, I hope. Thanks again

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I posted here about an issues with a Dunlop Q3+ And they took care of it right away, as did the place that I bought the tire from. All said, I had a new tire two days after I found the problem.

6. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Insider

Australia
    Map
    As I stated earlier, my rear caliper has been working with the three pistons for over 30,000km, and the pads are wearing evenly.
    Feel and stopping power is spot on, enough to be usable without being too strong and cause unintended lock up.

7. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    Hopefully sounds like though the middle piston moves further on same press, yet the increase of pressure brings the outer pistons to join forces with the middle, should do same on front. I’m going to give it a try, have braket to hold secondary master cylinder, but will do the fluid thing you did before capping it off. Thanks, this hydraulic setup is puzzling