"Empty radiator," input appreciated

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Southbound35, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Southbound35

Southbound35 New Member

United States
    Map
    I sold my 2004 VFR 4 days ago. The new owner texted me 2 days ago, concerned that the engine temps were over 220F while riding it in traffic. Since its been over 100 degrees here in Austin all week, I mentioned that these bikes tend to run hot, especially in idling situations, assuming it was normal for the bike. He texted me again tonight, stating that he had removed the fairings and "both radiators are empty and the water pump is leaking."

I told him that I never noticed any fluids on my garage floor or in the parking spot at work (where the bike spent 99% of its time), which is true. I will admit that I hadn't checked the anti-freeze level in awhile, since I didn't notice any leaks and never had any issues with the bike running poorly. I will also mention that I usually kept the temp gauge on the "outside temp" setting and thus wouldn't have noticed if it was running hotter than normal.

That being said, I'm wondering how the fluid could have leaked out without my noticing. Any ideas/thoughts?

2. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Many things... Water pump damaged by hitting something or a small rock or whatever not enough tighen on the bolts or clamps, bad head gasket, bad coolant tubes... Whatever!
    If engine is still good it would be matter of refill and let the bike warm up while watching it. Not your problem now as it seems.
    I changed the coolant on my 5th gen last year after a year of ownage and it looked mint condition... I don't know how much time it was there as the previous owner didnt told me, but it was perfect and with a purple colour.

3. Southbound35

Southbound35 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the response vegaquark.

If one of these circumstances had occurred while I owned the bike, wouldn't there have been some evidence of it?

And though I don't own the bike any more, I feel bad for the guy who bought it. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a bike, advertised as being in great condition and mechanically sound, only to have something break or go wrong immediately. Especially if its something the prior owner should have known about.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    One possibility is that it has bad (not providing sufficient seal) radiator cap not allowing pressurization, subsequently causing it to overflow. You may not have noticed this if it happened here and there as you were riding. You could have had air in system to begin with, and/or the thermostat is sticking intermittently. Hopefully it is just a loose or bad radiator cap with air in the system.

I would refill with coolant, purge air from cooling system, then just let it run (with panels off) to see what happens.

Does the thermostat open where it should?

Does the fan come on when it should?

Check for leaks anywhere (rad cap, hoses, water pump).

5. Mark919

Mark919 New Member

United States
    Map
    i'm a cynic on this topic. If both radiators were empty the engine would not be cooling well at all. IMO the engine would not show just 220F while riding in traffic. (That isn't a bad temp at all.) It would seriously overheat or seize.
    He just wants you to feel bad and give him some $$. You didn't provide a warranty. If he's not mechanically inclined give him the phone number for the local Honda dealer.
    Don't fall for it...

6. Southbound35

Southbound35 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the further replies derstuka and Mark, I appreciate the input.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Think I changed the cap at around 30,000 after coolant flush just because.
    Seein it's a 02 preventative maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk