Engine cuts out when put in gear

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by hater81, Jul 30, 2007.

1. hater81

hater81 New Member

Did a quck search didn't see something like this already posted. That being said.... I have a '92 750. Engine starts up fine now problems idles correctly. Put the clutch in....side stand up.....kick down into first...the engine cuts out like a kill switch almost. Everything is behaving normally aside from this. The side stand light goes out when I put it up, the neutral light is lit up. As soon as I put it in gear it just cuts right out. Suggestions????

2. Spike

Spike New Member

does that year/model have a sidestand switch?
    if so, it may have gone bad, it beleives your sidestand is down when it isn't
    or if this only happened once, make sure the sidestand is fully retracted

3. hater81

hater81 New Member

yes it does have a side stand switch and I have made sure that it is in the full up position. I have noticed that the wiring to the switch has been tampered with i.e. taped up and cut. I made sure all the wires are intact and not shorting out but I am still a little unsure about it. When the stand is down the light on the dash illuminates, and when I put the stand up the light goes out.

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    You have a side stand light on the dash? I don't recall any of my VFRs having one of these. Maybe I just never paid attention to it before, hmmmm.:rolleyes:

The problem you are describing is typical of a bad side stand switch. The side stand switch works in conjunction with the neutral safety switch to cut the ignition if the stand is down and you put the bike in gear. It sounds like the neutral safety switch is working fine as it is the last switch to close and cut the ignition so that isn't the problem. As your wiring has been tampered with I would suspect the side stand switch.

5. wayne1_99

wayne1_99 New Member

Check to see if there are three wires coming out of the switch. If there are, then one of the wires that go to the light and then one of the others will go to the ignition. The last wire is probably a ground. If there are only two wires, then the switch itself is probably ground driven. Meaning that the switch is giving a ground thru its case. All being said, the switch might be a two stage or double pole. One side of the switch may be bad. It may still illuminate and go out with the side stand but not give the correct signal to the ignition. If you are handy with a multimeter, most haynes manuals will have schematics. As you can tell, I have had a few bad switches in my day. Hope that this helps.

Wayne

6. wayne1_99

wayne1_99 New Member

You are absolutely right about the neutral safety switch!!!! I forgot about that one being in series with the sidestand switch. You Da Man!!!!

7. hater81

hater81 New Member

Just in case anyone still happens across this thread, it ended up being the side stand switch. I cut the wires a few inches past the switch, and tied the ground wire to the wire that runs back to the ignition control box. Works like a charm until I can get a new switch. Until then make sure its up! Thanks to all those who replied.