Engine shuts off at low speed after pulling in clutch lever???

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cha6040, Sep 23, 2013.

1. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

I have only had my 02 VFR ABS for 3 days, but on 3 out of 4 of my rides this happens:

Seems to have only happened in my neighborhood so far, which I'm sure is just coincidence. The first 2 times it happened I was in 2nd gear engine braking and pulling into my drive way with the clutch lever in about to shift to N and before I can shift I noticed the engine had turned off. The 3rd time it happened I was rolling down the street right around the corner from my house, engine braking in 2nd, pulled clutch to prepare for a turn, engine died again. Other than these occurrences, the bike runs absolutely perfect.

The bike is in what seems to be pristine condition, was very well taken care of, has 14,700mi on the odo. Anyone know what could be causing this? I've searched all over this forum and can't find any posts about a similar issue. Thanks!

2. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    Mine does it from time to time. 1st did it after an 80 kay ride, pulled up at a round about & she died (clutch in), bike was near new. I adjusted the revs up a few thou & that seemed to stop it for awhile. But the engine revving higher annoyed the shit out me + in traffic raised the temp a bit quicker. I've lowered it back down to what it should be (1200 RPM +/- 100) & it only happens every so often. Fark knows why it does it anyway.

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm

Never come across this one before so at a complete guess this may be a sensor(wiring) issue.

To save fuel/emissions - these bikes will shut off the fuel injection when the throttle is closed and the bike is being used for engine braking - so that it is effectively coasting in gear with the throttle off. You will still get decent engine braking but won't consume fuel. If I understand the system correctly the system should however be constantly monitoring inputs from a heap of sensors eg your throttle, engine and road speed and ensure the injectors fire up again when the engine speed heads below a set value to prevent a stall.

For one reason or another the system on your bike is not detecting the imminent stall. Does the bike show any FI error codes as that may point to where the fault lies?

Anyway - Rather than throw money at replacing expensive sensors which might be fine, spend a bit of time locating, removing and reinstating all the sensor connections and checking the wiring for any signs of damage - it could be down to something as simple as a build up of corrosion on one sensor preventing the PGMFI system knowing what is going on. If that does not fix the problem then I fear this could be one where you need the dealers diagnostic system, and that may land you with a big bill. Or you just adjust your riding style and put up with it

Hopefully this diagram will give you an idea of what is where.

www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbiking/documents/VFR VTEC PGM-FI Diagram 2002.pdf

Please let us know how you get on especially if you find the cause - as the rest of us will be happy to learn from you.

SkiMad

4. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

It's really strange, only happens with the clutch lever pulled in and it dies immediately. It's not really a huge deal, but could be a big deal if it happens on the hwy or at faster speeds.

5. fitzharris

fitzharris New Member

My 2002 ABS does that once in a while. It happens when I squeeze the clutch and roll off abruptly. Smooth roll off and everything is fine.

6. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Does it only do it at low speed? This might be the same thing that is happening on mine.

7. fitzharris

fitzharris New Member

Yep only at low speed. Other bikes I've had have also behaved this way. Not a big deal IMO.

8. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    Make sure your Idle is not set to low. My '99 does the same thing if the idle is set below 1300.

9. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

How does one set the idle? I'll look at the RPM when i get home tonight before I ride, see where it's sitting. What RPM should it be at?

10. wagzhp

wagzhp New Member

United States
    Map
    On the '99 (5th gen) there's a hole in the right side of the frame spar (usually with a rubber plug in it) that you can fit a narrow flat head screw driver in to adjust the idle speed. I'm not sure if the 6th gen is the same... (nevermind see this link for where the adjuster is on the 6th gen) 2007 model bad idle and then shut off *Fixed* - Maintenance Questions - VFR Discussion

The manual calls for 1200 RPM +/- 100, but mine dies quite often when set that low, and my charging voltage drops below 13 volts when I set it that low. Most folks recommend setting the idle between 1200 and 1500.

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Interesting topic.......
    Have not heard of this issue, hope the iddle will cure your problem
    I set mine as 1500

12. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Good advice, I will try that tomorrow. Too tired now, I will let you guys know. Thanks!

13. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

OK, so I got un-tired and decided to adjust the idle tonight. It was idling at about 1k rpm, so probably too low. I was able to adjust it to about 1350 rpm, but it would not adjust anymore then that. The knob/screw would turn up and then go right back to where it was. It was a little difficult just to get it to 1350, so it might be sticking a little. I'm going to take it for a ride tomorrow after work and see how it does. Hopefully it doesn't need to be set higher, cause it aint going any higher without taking stuff apart. We'll see tomorrow

14. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Try adjusting the idle see if it helps any, maybe we can figure this out together :team2:

15. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

So I finally went for a 45 minute ride last night, bike rode perfectly until I was around the corner from my house and low and behold, it dies in the exact same spot as last time. It's so weird, runs perfect everywhere else, except my drive way or around the corner. I adjusted the idle the other night, but that seemed to have no bearing. It's almost like there is some signal close to my house that's interfering with the bike. i don't get it. :confused:

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Did you check inside the fairing for Gremlins....? JKD
    The RPM adjuster is mean to be hard so it won't turn due to vibration. Use a screwdriver to turn.

17. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

I'm starting to think it something else. The idle seems fine, plus it would do it more frequently or not just in my neighborhood. It's really strange... I'll ride it some more and see if it does it anywhere else.

And it completely shuts down, i was riding it at night this time. Headlights turned off and everything.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  18. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    So the problem only EVER happens at the same place day or night? Perhaps the problem is nothing to do with the bike. Is there some nearby power-line/transformer messing with the bikes electrics, or perhaps you have a neighbour amusing themselves testing out some sort of electro-magnetic pulse generator? :smile: Intermittent faults can be truly infuriating.

Hope you figure it out.

SkiMad

19. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Yeah, it only happens pulling into my driveway or in this certain section of this street just around the corner maybe a couple hundred yards from my house. At least it's consistant...

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It could be related to a dragging clutch that doesn't fully release. Low power on engine, slow idle, so the extra load through the clutch (still partly in gear) kills it. If so, try bleeding clutch hydraulic system.