False, false neutral between 5th and 6th, anyone?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by VFROARR, Aug 5, 2011.

1. VFROARR

VFROARR New Member

Hi all,
    I have ridden bikes for decades and never, ever had false neutral issues on any of my bikes.
    Am I the only one to experience this with the VFR1200?
    Most of the time when it happens, I shift from 5th to 6th and the gear indicator, although the gear change is positive, will indicate ''-'' instead of 6, but the 6th gear is engaged and working. If I downshift to 5th and back to 6th, the indicator will display 6 correctly (or do the ''-'' again!).
    It also happened a few times where I had the ''-'' indication and the tranny was in a false neutral situation.
    I don't like this, it happens too often even if I shift in a positive way, with ''authority''.
    Should I be worried about potential damage to the transmission?
    Pat.

2. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Hmmm, interesting. I know the 5th gen bikes have iffy 5 to 6 interchanges. I have been able to cure it for the most part by being deliberate when up shifting into 6th. I have never heard of the 1200 having any issues though. Maybe see what the dealer says.

3. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Nope, never had a false neutral or anything else than the gear showing in almost 10k miles. I'd have that checked asap if I were you.

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I guess it depends on how often it is happening and if you can (semi-reliably) reproduce it. Of the 4 Hondas I have right now, I know that I have experienced this on at least 3 of them. This has happened on the 6th Gen between 5th & 6th at least a couple of times over the years. I just got the same thing to happen on the VF1000R last week between 2nd & 3rd. Like I said, I believe I've done this on just about every bike I own and and have ever owned.

5. tin-tin

tin-tin New Member

Happened to me alot too. Same symptoms. Very unnerving to be at a good lean in mid turn and look down and see a "--" on the shift indicator.

All good now. Cleared it up by accident. Switched from Lucas Oil to Mobil 1. It hasnt done it since.

Not trying to start an oil debate and I'm not a huge believer in alot of oil hype. Just relating what cleared up the problem. Saved me alot of money because I was ready to try the shift improver route.

6. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

I guess I just never look down there at my gauges that often. Call me crazy...but almost never in a corner!

I'll have to do some straight line experiments with this just to see what the deal is. I've never felt my 1200 go into a false anything. So, I don't much worry about what the gadgets on the dash are doing.

7. warrenjrose

warrenjrose New Member

Map
    I've hit the false neutral between 5th and 6th a few times as well... Typically I just make a mental note that I need to lift a little more assertively. It would be interesting to see what the shift star looks like on the VFR, I know factorypro makes them for many other models of Hondas.

8. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Factorypro makes a shift star kit for the 5th gen that I have heard really good things about, not sure if they are making(or plan to make) one for the 7th...

9. TXVFR1200

TXVFR1200 New Member

Map
    I hit the same 5th --> 6th false neutral last week getting on freeway. Got the "-" on the gauges and nearly over revved the bike. Almost to first 600 mile service, and have 4 quarts of Mobil 1 in the garage waiting to go in.

10. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    Yep I've done that plenty of times. I just have to remind myself to pull the clutch in all the way and give it a good kick from 5th to 6th. It shifts so smooth that I've got way too used to a light tap and usually no clutch. When I ride other people's bikes I always think there's something wrong with their gearbox at first because I'm so spoiled by this one.

11. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It's sounding more and more like this is a "quirk" with the 7th Gen. Like I said, I've experienced this on just about every bike I've owned, but very rarely. It'll be interesting to see if Honda comes out with a bulletin on this ...............

12. warrenjrose

warrenjrose New Member

Map
    I treat it as more of a "quirk"... But it's always good to know if others are seeing the same quirk or if it's just you...

13. tuk

tuk New Member

Australia
    Map
    Not with the DCT. :biggrin:

14. camo

camo New Member

Map
    The solution is to shift it without the clutch. Just back off and click it.

15. warrenjrose

warrenjrose New Member

Map
    Yes, but I have a clutch...

16. interceptorrider

interceptorrider New Member

Yes, I have had it happen several times. It pisses me off. It was better with a fresh oil change and I am due an oil change now. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this up. Ride safe.

Mark

17. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Seems the 5-6 interchange still continues to be a little bit of an issue. My 99 has done it three times or so in year an 9000 miles I've owned it, however not recently since I've made a point of it to deliberately shift into 6th. Preloading the shifter slightly helps significantly too...

18. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Sure you have a clutch, so do I. It is great for starting off and rapid downshifts but it is superfluous on upshifts.

If you keep missing shifts You might send your engine into the stratosphere, or round the dogs off in your transmission.

I learned the clutchless shifting technique from a fellow competitor in 1983 when I was having the same problem missing shifts on my roadracer. I haven't missed a shift since.

19. interceptorrider

interceptorrider New Member

Changed the earl today (Mobil1 full synthetic). Rode about 50 miles. No 5th to 6th issues. Maybe it needs more frequent oil changes. I had a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 years ago (great bike). I had to change the oil every 1000 miles or it would shift like key-rap. Maybe my new VFR is like that as well. I had a little over 2000 miles on this oil. Ride safe all.

Mark

20. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    Wow i thought I was a big dummy this has happened about 4 times only between 5th and 6th gears ,only once since I changed to Lucas oil. Happens when I'm moving up through the gears kind of quick like durring a passing situation. I haven't noticed the gear indicator since I'm always very busy when it happens. I thought maybe I didn't pull the clutch in all the way or didn't get a good tap up on the shifter.