Far from home

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by SFPA, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Fellas (and gals),
    Just checking in from my second home in beautiful Afghanistan (til springtime). Actually, it is sorta pretty with all the snow on the mountains right now, but cold as ever, especially considering it was 70 degrees F when I left from North Carolina! I miss my VFR almost as much as my family. In the meantime, it looks like I am able to access this site from over here, which is great (many websites with blogs are blocked from use on gov't computers over here.)

Hope you all are getting a chance to get out and ride! I see in the news that many parts of the US are a bit icy.
    Please be safe, but also tear it up in my honor!! :smile:
    Pray for peace (with your eyes open) while you are hitting those twisties for me. This is starting to get a bit tiresome for all of us, coalition partners included(the Aussies, Brits, Canadiens, Dutch, Polish, Germans and Romanians are hanging out with us here at the moment, maybe some others). This makes 4 trips over here so far for me with the promise of another in Oct 07. I am only one amoung many with a similar tale. I think I actually signed up for this job sometime way back a long time ago, though. :)

I'll try to log back in when I can. It makes for a great escape from this cold and dangerous place.

Ya'll take care and God bless!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. dskelton

dskelton New Member

Hey Chris. On my first opportunity (April?) I'll take a ride in your honor! and, YOU be safe!
    Dean

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm glad you still have access to VFRworld because I have always thought you had one of the top personalities on the forum, please be safe and thanks for the service to our country...

-Rick-

4. mgmathews

mgmathews New Member

Chris: Thanks for what you do over there and be safe so that you can ride your bike when you get back.
    Hell, a lot of people can't ride their bikes right now here in the USA's warmer areas.....snow just north of LA, ice covered roads in Houston, San Antonio, Austin TX, Oklahoma, Missouri, below normal temps in Arizona & New Mexico, and the storm is heading up the NE corridor via the SE USA.
    Mike Mathews
    Ankeny, Iowa

5. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map

Sheesh, brother, thanks! I'm blushing. Bottom line, I've just seen too much bad stuff to get too worked up about small stuff. Every now and then I do, and at that time, it's time to go back over here for a healthy dose of Afghan reality. We have it soooo good, and most of us have no idea. Very sad truth.

Good part about this trip is that it is way to cold for the Taliban or Al Qaeda to come out and fight us right now, the SALLIES. Therefore, it'll be fairly low key and relatively safe. Although, one could argue that hunting terrorists is a great cure for boredom.
    Oh well, so is VFR WORLD!!!

6. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

SFPA,

Stay safe man, Thanks for what you are doing over there. We owe you man. If you get down this way drop us a line and let us know. I can ride free and not worry because of what you Guy and Gals are doing. I have travelled extexnsively through out the world and ain't the US great. No offense intended to anyone outside the us but this is one of the best places to live on earth. God bless the US and her troops.
    Danimal
    former USN

7. desertman62

desertman62 New Member

Map
    Chris,

I just want to echo what's been said by saying be safe and we all hope you get back soon. A HUGE thanks to you and those with you for what you're doing for us. It really is appreciated. God Bless.

Phil

8. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    We are so lucky to have people like you willing to serve in our fine Armed Forces.

I constantly tell my wife how lucky we are to be together no matter how hard things get in civilian life nothing compares I am sure. My line "at least neither of us is off being attacked in Iraq or Afghanistan" comes to my lips quite frequently.

Please tell your co-patriots that many in this country are behind you no matter what the politicians do or say.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    chris,

good luck to you, bro. you know I'll do plenty of riding for ya. also, while we're chattin in anything goes, have you taken the new ACLS yet? We have gone full circle it seems. I think I like it better, but man, it sure was stressful. The megacode is in again, and there is no input fom the instructor anymore. On the plus side, the number of drugs has decreased and the algorhythms seem more streamlined. well, hope you are home soon as I'm tired of all the fighting, too. in the words of the infamous Rodney King, 'Can't we all just get along?'

10. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Reg, nope not the new one. I am up for a credentials update when I return. BLS, ACLS and PALS are all expired. Over here it's no biggie. There is no role for them on the battlefield. Glad to hear the megacode is back, sorta. A bit unnerving going through that, however.

To everyone else, appreciate the comments and support, truly. :redface:

11. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    God Speed and thanks for what you do! Come home safely! Tell your comprades the same! Take care and best wishes!

12. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Stay safe over there. I truly feel for those that have to deploy boots on ground. I get to fly over at 25000 feet & look down and comment on how much I THINK it sucks. Unfortunately there are those who have to put up with the crap hands on & KNOW how much it sucks. Come back safe & in one piece.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yo Chris, keep in touch as you can, play fair now and get your butt home in one piece ya here, this place wouldn't be the same if you didn't.

14. Hondapitbull

Hondapitbull New Member

Hey Chris,thanx for everything you and all your fellow brothers and sisters are doing for us over there.I think I speak for all of us here at VFR World that our prayers and thoughts are with you.Come back safe and soon!

15. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Thanks to you who serve, I'm free to do whatever I want.

Ride my bike, be an a-hole on the internet, whatever.

It's easy to forget that freedom was never free. You guys rock. :usa: