Flapper valve or clutch relay?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by vfrmatt, Jun 26, 2010.

1. vfrmatt

vfrmatt New Member

Hey all. I recently picked up a new 2007 RWB and have noticed something that I am currently trying to verify. While I am inching along in traffic and at idle I sometimes get a popping noise AND an erratic idle. It almost feels like it is missing and the idle is surging by 2-300 rpm. I did a search here (THANKS everyone!) and thought it was the flapper valve, however I tested it recently and the popping noise continues even when in neutral and have let the clutch out. Could this perhaps be the clutch relay and would that be more likely to cause the idle issue than the flapper valve?

Thanks

2. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

mine does this too, it is the flapper valve,
    the flapper valve is vacuum actuated by a solenoid valve, when the flap is open the solenoid chrages a small resivoir with vacuum from the throttle bodies, but vents the flapper valve to atmosphere, when the ecu decides the flap needs to be closed the solenoid changes the lines, the flapp valve is connected to the resivoir and the vacuum line to the throttle bodies is closed off.

at low rpm the flap is closed, say idle to 2000rpm( not exact and someone pls correct) once the airflow into the engine is sufficient the flap opens, since the ecu does not measure airflow directly it guesses the required state based on load requirements and user demand.

note the flapper valve is not required for proper operation, but does help smooth the powerband quite a bit.
    if you decide to run with out it, disconect the solenoid wireing, not the vacuum lines, to prevent vacuum loss that will inhibit the purge system from operating.

I hope this clears it a bit,
    im sure someone will add or decry my statements.

zen