Foot brake pedal travel - 2002 VTEC ABS

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Zeppel, Jul 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zeppel

Zeppel New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys, VFR 800 VTEC ABS 2002 here

I had new rear brake pads installed like a month ago (I don't really have the tools and the space to do much) and the foot brake was left with a lot of travel, I have to really put my foot down for it to start braking. The mechanic said I'd get used to it when I said it was different from before, but no, I can't, I feel zero control of how much I'm braking, and sometimes I'm actually not (as in, the bike starts moving when it should be stopped on an incline - and then I really have to put my foot down. Is there an easy way to adjust this at home to my liking? The brake fluid seems to be at the right level (as in showing full in the little black box near the commands), etc, and the pads were changed, they have full thickness.

The garage is quite far and if this can be solved with just adjusting some bolt, then I'll try it. I searched the forums but came up empty!

If you think this could be a symptom of a botched job, I'll go back there but I guess it's a bit late to complain by now...

Thanks!

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    There is no adjusting bolt.

The foot pedal travel depends on how much fluid you need to move to get the pads into contact with the disc. If anything, new pads should have LESS travel than old pads, as there is a smaller volume of fluid in play (pistons retracted back into the caliper). So yes, I'd say you need a new mechanic. What you describe sounds more like the caliper flexing to allow the pads to reach the disc, and that could happen if the caliper is seized on the sliding pins. A little disassembly, cleaning and greasing those pins, may be all that is needed. I would also be looking to bleed any air out of the brake line although there is no reason to get air in there during a pad change.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, it really sounds like the guy screwed up and got air in the system. I would start with a good
    bleeding of the rear brake.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The mechanic is a liar and doesn't have the skill to bleed the linked brake system. I would go back and talk to the service manager and raise a little hell.