Foot Pegs vibrating, what are my options?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Hero Danny, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    It's not an RPM thing, more of a speed thing. I notice it vibrates around 30 mph, then around 65-70 it seems to get worse. What's weird is at about 95 mph it smooths out and is nice. I know it doesn't make sense, lol. But it's tempting me to speed.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Wheel balance? Bearings?

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    My 3rd gen ran smoother than my 5.5gen. I spent a lot of time getting the jetting right. When I finished the 5th gen project, I immediately noticed it ran harsher with very irritating peg vibration between 5-6500rpm. It was stock with K&N and a 6gen exhaust. I put a power commander on and smoothed it back out.

4. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I agree with Tinker. I'd order the DynoJet Kit. Do not go cheap. Get the real deal. Study the instructions off and on for a couple of days. Follow the instructions to the nth degree. Don't cut any corner. If you're not sure which jets to put in, call them. They'll be glad to help you out.

I've seen jet kits reduce vibrations in a gen 1 FZ1, and my Honda 599. The 599 has a bad rep for being buzzy. Re-jetted, they're not bad. I also had a Honda 919 that broke things, before I put a Power Commander on it.

5. vranak

vranak New Member

Czech Republic
    My foot pegs are also vibrating, left one is worse

Hi, you say the thing should run like a sewing machine. Really? No vibrations in foot pegs above 6500 rpm? I feel like it used to be better, but I´m not sure whether it has not been there since I bought VFR 800 1999. I know my bike has already 103 000 km, but this season it seems to be more noticable and irritating that when accelerating above 6,5 k RPM especially left footpeg starts vibrating and keeps vibrating till I reach maximum RPM and switch gear. It seems to me fiddling with foot pegs is just covering the problem, not solving it. I have read quite a lot threads devoted to this topic here and some riders say the V4 should vibrate and it´s a common feature of all V4s. You say they should run smoothly. Well, I unfortunatelly have had no other opportunity to ride any other VFR 800 FI, but there are lots of riders who have plenty of experience. Should this model run smoothly with no perceptible vibrations over the whole RPM range or is it typical to feel vibrations here and therefore we should not be worried about that?

Best

vranak

6. Devo83

Devo83 New Member

Canada
    My 3rd gen runs smooth. No frame or peg vibrations. Could help that its is very low km also.

7. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Turn the engine off.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW mine being a 5th gen, being I rode it through all types of riding conditions over the week end, it was as smooth as silk in all the rpm and speed ranges. One might look into tire balancing, or lost or lose engine mounting bolts.

9. ddlock7416

ddlock7416 New Member

United States
    Bad chain will vibrate ur feet . As soon as I change it then smooth again..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

10. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    If it starts at the same rev range, no matter what gear you're in or what speed you're doing, then it has nothing to do with chain.
    Mine does it as well most noticable on the left peg, it starts around 6000, gets to it's worst at 7500, but continues all the way to red line.
    It will change for better or worse and up and down the rev range a bit if I fiddle with the starter valves.
    So my guess is fuelling/air flow related.
    All my engine bolts are torqued correctly, and my injectors are clean and flow tested to within 1%. I also have a PCIII.
    From information here, it seems some bikes are worse then others.
    It is not really bad, but very noticable. My grips are fine.