Forward lean 3rd gen vs. 4th gen

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Michael S, May 30, 2017.

1. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Hey everyone,

Can anyone confirm that there is a noticeable difference in the riding position of the 3rd and 4th gen?

When using my data, 5'10 and inseam 31", on Cycle-ergo.com I get a forward lean of 26 degrees for the 3rd gen and 31 for the 4th gen. That seems like a pretty big difference. For reference the number for a CBR 600 F4 is 30. So more forward lean on a 4th gen VFR than on a CBR.. . What do you say - rubbish data or is there a noticeable diff between 3rd and 4th gen forward lean?

I'm in the buying process and have been on a 3rd gen and a 6th gen. Both of them felt perfect and very similar in regards to forward lean.

2. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I have found the motorcycle ergos data to be very accurate by comparing its results for my bikes' and my numbers with my actual bikes. If you've been on a 6th gen, the 3rd gen will feel about the same, but with the knees a bit more bent due to the 1" lower seat height than the 6th. I have not sat on a 4th gen, but it is definitely said to be a sportier position which seems to be exactly what the ergo tool says. This is why I looked specifically for a 3rd gen and not a 4th.

Cheers,
    Glenn

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Doesn't it matter where your ass is in the seat? I can move around to get it where I want it for either freeway or back roads. But yes the 4th gen is the sportier of the two IMO. all though not enough to make one lean way or the other.

4. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Thanks for that link Michael. Just for shits and giggles I plugged in your numbers for the 5th through 8th gens as well and came up with the following:

8th gen: 27 degrees
    7th gen: 26 degrees
    6th gen: 27 degrees
    5th gen: 28 degrees
    4th gen: 31 degrees
    3rd gen: 26 degrees

I can see why you're a bit suspicious of the 4th gen angle - seems out of place with the others. But I've never sat on a 4th gen so I have no idea what it's like.

5. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    I never really gave it much thought before but the specs gator Greg has listed fits
    Since the first time I sat on a 3rd gen in 1990 I knew it was the best fitting bike for me period
    Last year I went to demo a new VFR and as soon as I sat on the bike with my hands on the bars I knew it was time to get off and not bother with the ride

6. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Thanks a lot for your replies. I was considering the 4th gen mainly because of the better spare part availability (compared the the 3rd gen), but if it comes with an extra forward lean I'm not sure it is for me.

7. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have a 4 th. Gen with a Corbin seat. I also had a 3rd gen with a Corbin seat. Without a doubt for me the 4 gen. is definitely the more sporty riding position. The bars felt higher and closer to the seat on the 3rd gen. The 3 rd. was the more comfortable bike.

However. I much prefer the 4 th gen. Much sportier and better handling in my opinion. Rode them both at Deals Gap and the 4 th was much better handling.

8. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Thanks, JIMLARCH.

I agree completely. Had the chance to sit on a 4th gen today.

9. dickster

dickster New Member

Jersey
    Hi Michael, I have both a 3rd and 4th gen and would agree with JimLarch in saying the 4th gen definitely has more of a sportbike-like riding position than the 3rd gen, it's like the seat is much higher and/or the bars are lower, I prefer the riding position of the 3rd gen, it's much more comfortable and for me, it feels 'just right', on the 4th gen you can really notice the seat height difference although it's by no means horrific and it's still a fabulous bike.

10. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Thanks, dickster. I get my 4th gen tomorrow or Friday :) . I believe the riding position of the 3rd gen would suit me better because I come from a sport-touring bike with a riding position more upright than any VFR - but for other reasons I chose the 4th gen.

11. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    For those who wish to raise the bars on the 4 the gen. I have genmar risers which came with the bike but until today never used them. They take 5 minutes to fit and raise the bars 3/4 of an inch. Rode 200 miles today and they make a big difference comfort wisee. I recommend them!

12. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    JIMLARCH, thanks for the tip. After about 500 km on the bike I am actually ok with the forward lean, but none of my rides have been longer than 100 km. I'm sure the risers could add some comfort on longer rides. So far I am struggling more with the seat to peg distance. Seems quite a bit shorter than on my previous bike and knee angle is pretty closed. But before looking for options for lowering the pegs, I will see if the old body can get used to the current (standard) setup ;-)