Freeze-Out

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by A.M, Dec 23, 2016.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Heated grips are heaven.

Heated gear period is heaven.

Don't wait, just get some.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The one heated gear item I have not seen, maybe they have it for snow mobile riders, is a heated balaclava. Then again, the idea is to heat up the core and the blood flow should help warm the rest but fingers and toes do seem to get the brunt of the cold so I can see why they have heated booties and gloves.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks D for the info bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, been looking at that freeze-out stuff (and heat-out as well) so decided to ride over there and get me some today since on super sale. Wound up getting the pants and glove liners for now. I might get more but will try these first. I have other cold weather gear and ideas to go with my other extremities. I liked the top jacket liner better than I thought I would so may have to try that later.

On the way over to CycleGear, stopped by the Honda dealer to pick up some crush washers too. They had a 2014 red VFR800 sitting on showroom on sale for $7,988. I am not in the market, however, is that a good deal? Sounded good to me but I am not up to speed on the current VFR pricing.

http://www.dfwhonda.com/default.asp...285599&p=11&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

5. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    When I was looking for my 5th gen over the summer I saw several $8000-8500 new old stock 8th gens. You could get a used one with all the extras and less than 2000 miles for under 8K, and I saw one base model with 1500 miles go for 7K. For some reason dealers can't give 'em away and they've become about the best bargain on the new, or very slightly used, bike market.

$8K for the deluxe -- fully adjustable suspension, heated grips, traction control, etc... -- is a ridiculously good deal. I had my heart set on an old beater and purposely set my budget below $4K, else I'd have gotten a new one. And, honestly, if the $8K deluxe I found in my neighborhood had come up in red instead of white, I probably would have gone for it.

6. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I think we're ALL larger than you AM.

I used to wear a different brand glove liners that had smaller sizes. For the life of me I can't find them and that was 20 years ago so the company might well be out of business by now. A girl I rode with turned me on to them, and she used them because she had the same problem you're having.

But I NEVER found a balaklava that fit without making my helmet uncomfortable - and I'm a Medium.

I wore a cowl and an extra layer then just suffered on my morning commutes. It gets cold here, like others pointed out just because it doesn't snow doesn't mean it isn't in the 30s or freezing on Ortega Hwy or going over the mountains headed down to the desert in the morning. But for 40 degree mornings the cowl and a thinsulate shirt were enough to keep the wind out and I could stash them under the seat or in the tail bag when it warmed up.

Heated vest beat the shit out of all of it, but it was my roommate's and I was unable to steal it when I moved out. If I commuted or rode distances anymore I'd buy myself one. Nothing beat it for me.

7. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Ahhhh hope you like the gear!! I'll post up on my final thoughts when I get back to Kansas.

I saw a 2014 for that price in Albuquerque too!! Seemed like a sweet deal...

8. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

The best piece of gear I've used so far has been the heated vest. As long as my core has stayed warm, I've been able to manage very well.

Yes, the balaclava is troublesome. I think I'll just pull it down around my neck instead of it on my head....see how that feels on the way back when I hit the cold again.