Fresh meat for the XL600R Motard

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Captain 80s, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Looks fun!!!!

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Excellent! I rue the day that the manufacturers stopped building, relatively inexpensive, bullet proof, dual sport machines. Had a '79 500 (in, cough, high, cough, school, cough). It was perfect for that period of my life. Que sera sera. Now they are trying to sell us on electric bikes to take their place....at $14k a piece. No thanks. Feel sorry for the young hellions coming up these days.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Mind_Surfer likes this.
  4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Nice motorcycle Capt what year is that piece?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    1983 with an 87 tank. Laced a rear 17 inch XR500R rim to an extra front hub. It is slightly narrower than the stock 17 inch rear rim already on the bike. A little too period correct as those narrow rims severely limit finding a nice matching set of tires. These IRC GP-110s are perfect and better suited to blasting an occasional logging road. It had Metzeler Comp Ks on it that were a pretty good fit too, but by now had the suppleness of wood.

Trimmed the huge stock front fender and came up with some dual oval headlights tucked under the small screen. It actually has decent wind protection.

The bike is very fun and handles surprisingly good. And, how many blocks do you want that wheelie?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Mind_Surfer likes this.
  6. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

The bike is very fun and handles surprisingly good. And, how many blocks do you want that wheelie?

Nice bike. I have a great deal of fun on my XR650R. She's usually in SM mode for street/track, but I re-configured her this past summer to ride trails in the southern CO mountains. She did great up there, me not so much :D. It was a trip I won't forget, on a great bike.

Enjoy yours,
    ACE

Damn, can't edit a mistaken quote ... crap, got it but had to delete all quoting ... oh well, my bad ...