Freshening up my 2010.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Megadan, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Trakrat

Trakrat New Member

United States
    Beautiful bike! All the little things to make it perfect for you.

2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Rifle case? Genius! :D

3. Megadan

Megadan New Member

United States
    Well, at least more perfect for me than it was before. Honestly this bike was already the perfect bike for me even before the upgrades. It ticks every box I have ever wanted in a bike. Very sporty, but not uncomfortable like a super sport. Lots of horsepower but with a broad torque curve and linear power delivery. Can be used as a commuter, a touring bike, or even a track day fun bike with quick and easy changes. It is literally the "do it all" machine I have wanted to have for so long. Sure, it's not the best at any of those roles, but the fact that it can do them all well is what sold me. Plus, I have lusted after a VFR1200F since they first came out. Visually it is a very elegant bike, but has just enough sharp edges and angles to let you know it has a wild side. If I was only allowed one bike in my garage this would be it, and aside from my weird obsession with a cheap chinese dual sport it is lol.

People may argue that the suspension is too soft, or that the fuel range isn't that good, and for them this may be true. For me though, the suspension on every bike I own has to be adjusted as I am a giant barrel chested man in the 260lb weight range. The fuel range to me is no different than many of the classic or older bikes I have owned, so it is business as usual for me. 2-3 hours between fuel stops on a long trip is just par for the course, and honestly about as long as I can stand riding before I need to get off the bike anyway.

I will say this. If there were any two things I would highly recommend to anybody that bought one of these bikes, spend the money to have Daugherty Motorsports do the suspension, and have the ECU flash tuned by Guhl with all of the restrictions removed. It went from a bike I liked a lot, and turned into a bike that I never want to part with. Every complaint others, and myself, have had about this bike are completely corrected by doing so. It is an absolute monster, and with good tires will attack corners with more capability than I have skill at this point, although I am slowly getting there. Riding a 1975 GL1000 for a few years and leaping on to this thing is like going from a dingy and hopping into an offshore racer.

Actually, while I thought it was a good idea, Jamie Daugherty actually advises against using a rifle case. According to him he has had a lot of people use that method and their forks arrived damaged. I guess I was one of the lucky ones? I did wrap the ends very well with bubble wrap though, so that might have been a big part of it.

Trakrat and Samuel like this.
  4. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for that info! Unless you use Pelican (or similar), it seems to me also that that would be better than regular cardboard... ? For future reference, did he say what to use or how he recommends forks be shipped?

5. Megadan

Megadan New Member

United States
    He didn't mention it to me, likely because it was too little, too late to really make a difference. I would suggest contacting them about how they recommend packaging them to be shipped.

The most critical thing is to protect the fork lowers, especially the tabs where the calipers mount as well as the chrome surface of the inner fork tube. The most common damage in shipping is due to tabs breaking off or the tube being scratched.

I guess if you were wanting to use a rifle case, use two single sized cases (smaller), one for each fork. Just make sure to still wrap the ends well and also protect the caps. Then just strap them together and box them up.