Fuel Leak, need help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by brian_06328, Mar 24, 2018.

1. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I got my '96 VFR750 out of the garage today and changed the oil and the antifreeze. It had to sit all last year because I blew my knee out in April and couldn't get surgery on it until September and I was in no shape to ride. After getting it back together, I fired it up and had a significant fuel leak out of the front, right hand carb. After digging into it further I found the leak coming from a hard line that goes into the carb body, see attached photo. I was actually hoping for a rubber line to be the problem, easy fix. I am at a loss for the moment. Any experience here? carb leak.jpg

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes, had the same problem with my carbs on my '83. It is the o-ring(s) around the tube, that dry out over the winter. Maybe with a little luck, they will swell up again. If not, the you will need to take carbs off and separate the one leaking carb (don't take them all off the plate) be very careful not to crack the pipe. I got an assortment of metric o-rings at Autozone for $8, and replaced them all.

3. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the quick reply, that makes sense. It looks like it may be a pain to separate the carbs, but it also seems like I should be able to replace both o rings by removing just one of the carbs. I'll get to working on it.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    as allyance suggests, seal will likely swell up and seal properly after soaking in fuel for a day or two.

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes you can remove tube and replace both O-rings, give the little time, if I remember correctly, one of mine was cracked and needed to be replace.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

That was on your 83, right ?? since his bike is alot newer and obviously well-kept, i don't believe he really need the ring replacement yet. Of course, if it doesn't stop dripping after exposed to fuel, replacement IS needed.

7. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    while poking around in there I moved the T connector in the fuel line that is between the fuel pump and the carbs, the T fitting crumbled without much pressure at all so I am pulling the carbs and replacing that fitting and hoses as well as those O rings. It's old enough, probably should have replaced them a while ago.

I have followed the manual to this point to remove the carbs, unhooked all the lines between the carbs and the bike as well as the throttle stop, choke and throttle cables. I loosened the 4 screws on the carburetor clamping bands but I can't get them to budge. Is there a trick there? I'm sure they're in there tight, they haven't been off of the bike since it was built.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    it might help to loosen all 8 clamps and loosen more than you might think. heat helps soften boots. spray lube around the carb/boot interface. carbs need to be worked loose gradually in most cases, rocking and pulling up and employing alot of muscle power. :Ballchain: work on loosening front carbs or rear first, easier than getting all 4 to pop off togerher.

frustration may ensue, and in that case, brewup a nice pot 'o tea and siddown ! :Help:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  9. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys, I took it apart and replaced the o-rings, got it together and there is no more leak. Problem now is that the throttle return springs have almost no tension making it so the throttle will not close when I let go. Although it might make a great cruise control, I'd rather have it work the way it should. Any suggestions?

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ye mighta possibly lost a throttle synch spring or 2 on the linkages ??

11. brian_06328

brian_06328 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd buy that, there were two springs that dropped out when I pulled the carburetors apart, thought I got them back together like they came out but wasn't sure. How are they supposed to go in?

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    IMG_0143.jpg
    I believe the coiled spring around the shaft is the return spring (old set of 750 carbs)