Gear 2.0

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by PyroMcnoob, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Spectre

Spectre New Member

"But hey, for a dude with no job and a SUPER tight budget, I think I do ok in terms of protection... "

In addition to your having no current job and you're also on a tight budget, is it fair to assume that you might also have no health insurance coverage? Do you have any idea how much it costs just to check yourself into a hospital Emergency Room, even if your injuries are minor?

Looking at the photos you've posted of the scant protection you've so far chosen for your upper limbs (which you seem to be rather proud of in terms of your self-perceived cleverness, etc.) I would like to point out that while such an outfit might serve you well while rollerblading or roller skating, it is not appropriate for motorcycling.

Also, you seem to naively believe that just because you've passed the Basic Rider Course and you ride conservatively, that this somehow immunizes you from unforeseen dangers, and that other motorists, along with most other potential dangers, along with the Universe and your angels, will somehow always give you a free pass to safety if you end up screwing-the-pooch in one way or another. If you think that your elbow pads and bare arms will adequately protect you against your first rodeo with fate, you are wrong, Grasshopper.

The whole point of ATGATT is to always defensively totally suit-up and ride under the assumption that something really bad may happen at any time, anywhere. Strict adherence to ATGATT often makes all the difference in the world if you go down and you hope to survive and maybe even walk away. You are not invincible!

On the other hand, if you're willing to assume the risks, why not dispense with any riding gear at all, since you seem to feel so selectively lucky in terms of your body parts that could be seriously injured if you have a really bad day? Where you're drawing the line in terms of protective riding gear deserves a closer look. At any rate, you've been duly warned.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ Amen to that. but unfortunately all things being what they are, it's His Ass

Anyone try on a pair of these, I'm thinking about getting some.

KUSHITANI Zylon Jeans

I'm liking the companion liner too.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    DKC.

You are being a bit harsh there friend. True, some of us may be in a better financial situation to afford the suits and stuff. So be it. When you are 55 years old, who knows. Maybe you will be in a better position than I. Don't know your age though. And I was looking at your quoted prices. I only wished I could get it for that price here. That's another story. The bitch there is not with you though.

And Pyro. I said it earlier. At least you are giving this thought. Personally I don't think what you have is enough. But you are the one riding and taking whatever risks may be involved. I just hope that you do not "settle" for this and strive to improve your level of protection. It is risk management. What risk are you prepared to take? To be real safe, wash, polish and wax the bike. Then sit with a nice cold beer and look at it. Let your imagination do the riding.

In the menatime, ride a little softer. Take fewer chances. We all take those. I see you are looking forward to Scubalong's BBQ this weekend. I hope to meet you at Slo next year. So be safe.

4. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

Easy guys, nobody's dead

Thanks Randy :D I kinda had to giggle at the guy with the avatar w/ 5 dudes on one bike givin' me a safety talk jk jk

I can understand all the different viewpoints on this thread, and when I started it was really looking for opinions. I know gear is a hot issue for bikers. I didn't expect people to be so angry over what is, as previously stated by others, my ass. but hey, at least you guys care right? Everyone is entitled to their opinion; while there are those who feel my gear is not enough, I prefer to site the numerous pix of guys in shorts and flip-flops and judge by comparison. I'm not missing any digits, like the imbecile from the "chain-cleaning" thread, and I haven't had the rough experience of the severe laydowns some of you have. But at least I'm considering the possibility that I'm NOT invincible. I realize my gear is sub-par for some of you, but it does come down to risk assessment. If I get hurt, I'll gladly pour forth the "you were right" statements, but until then I'm just another rider, enjoying the feeling of 2 wheels.

I'm all for opinions, but please, tone down the insults on my personal intelligence. Maybe I'm just youthful and naive, or haven't had the life-altering crashes some of you have, but I feel my gear is acceptable for the time being. And as stated before, I wear more coverage under other conditions; the pix I posted are my summer gear for the 100+ weather of Southern CA...

In any case, I appreciate the concern and input of you more experienced riders.

5. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Lets take the argument to the limit?

"' 'Danger, Danger, Will Robinson' ding ding ding."

So tell us something we don't know. That omnipresent "parent" is coming out by the bucketful. I think you momma's out there need to cool down and back off a bit. Yes, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, most often when you don't know where your own limits lay or when you engage in risky behavior when driving around people who don't know where their limits lie. Give me an open road with no oncoming traffic for miles ahead or traffic behind me and I could ride from Boston to San Diego in the nude and make it without a scratch. But the world being as it is I have to take my chances. Lets see. Its so dangerous to ride a motorcycle that you have to have helmet. Yea, and its so dangererous to ride a motorcycle that you have to have a conforming safety jacket. Even the motorcycle police. And its so dangerous to ride a motorcycle that you have to conforming pants. And its so dangerous to ride a motorcycle you have to have conforming boots. And riding a motorcycle is so dangerous that you have to have conforming gloves. And its so dangerous to ride a motorcycle that you have to button, zip, tie, glue or make a permanent connection between all of the conforming articles of clothing to legally ride a motorcycle. But riding a motor cycle is so dangerous that we are going to make it illegal altogether and make you drive a car. But driving a car is so dangerous that we are going to make you wear a helmet. So on and so forth "reductio ad absurbum".

Pretty soon you'll have to own a tank and the whole body armor thing to get to the grocery to buy bread and milk which you won't be able to eat because eating is too dangerous to your health.

I like to ask myself if the hoards of motorcyclist in India, Indonesia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Taiwan, Korea, the many third world countries of Africa, the many cites and rural places in Central and South America, where poor people with families are happy if they have a small displacement motorcycle to run around on with a small wagon they attach to it dragged behind, worry about whether or not they have sufficent body armor on? Maybe these multi-millions of riders should be banned from riding motorcycles too, if they don't buy the correct sort of 'riding habit' instead of staving off starvation for the rest of the week?

The argument is absurd. Of course, its nice if every one has nice clothes and nice shoes and nice gloves and helmets and they all zip together into one big suit of Black Knight body armor. But who is going to buy these items for the multimillions out there riding motorcycles. We're too busy making the implements of war to give everyone a kevlar riding jacket so they can protect their elbows riding a motorcycle, let alone a car. Besides who gives a damn what happens to the multi millions out there, we're busy wiping out villagers who we suspect of being our enemy and if any of them are riding motorcycles we are going to kill them even if they do have those mesh jackets on, and even if they are civilians. Hey, shit happens.

The ultimate absurdity is that we ignore the rest of humanity and demand conformity in that group of riders that are within our nation group FOR THEIR OWN GOOD. "Why?", shouts the child. "Vee do dis for dine own gut' says, 'the mother' and 'the father' on their way to taking over absolute control. "Seig Heil, 'you vil vare dis garment und you vil like it'. Because we are Americans and that makes us different. Free mesh jackets for all Americans. We're different, aren't we?
    Yea. I thought so.

But the real absurdity is that even body armor can't protect you from breaking your neck when you hit the car that blew through that red light or stop sign when you were going 45 or 50, regardless of what you were wearing. Even a car body, seat belt and air bag can't protect you from a drunk who has a front end collision with your car at 75 mph. You are probably as dead as the drunk that hit you, even if you were driving that Mercedes you asked your Uncle Sam to give you.

Now I want you all to get up and reach for your wallets. I propose that a collection be taken up for poor PyroMcNoob before he makes the big mistake of waking up on the day that God has chosen to spread him like strawberry jelly across some big street intersection if he hasn't gotten his regulation mesh jacket with zipper, his regulation zipper pants and his regulation zipper boots. Oh hell lets just take up a collection and get him a car. No lets wrap him up in cellophane, put him on a shelf and feed him through a straw for the rest of his life. That ought to save him!

Writing this reminds me of the scene I saw on Ortega Highway ( a notorious 28 mile inpromptu race track for rocket jockies who like to ride in gangs of 4 to 8 on the way up and frighten the local drivers by passing on both sides of them on the short straight sections of the highway and then race each other to the bottom or vice versa) about 4 years ago. A rocket jock with a full racing suit with beaucoup zippers and pockets in places I would never look, flew off the highway on a particularly dangerous curve (while racing his friends to the bottom) with a shear rock wall face on the inside and a cliff that dropped off several hundred feet on the outside. He and the crotch rocket ( a big blue Suzuki I think) he was riding catapulted off the highway and into the wild blue yonder only to end up a crumpled mess at the bottom of the gorge (so he got to the bottom first). I got stopped in front of the wrecker when they brought his body up with a winch on the tow truck. His riding suit had kept his body parts and fluids intact. When it came out of the gorge it looked like a big black bladder filled with water and sand. I suppose that riding suit was worth the $300 or $400+ dollars he spent for it. I mean it kept his elbow and knee armor in place until he hit bottom.

Sure, if you have a death wish get the "body bag", your family will appreciate your thoughtfulness. However, I think I'd trust someone to make it through who knew they might get hurt real bad if they chose to F--k around while riding and took care that they stayed alert and in control at all times; as opposed to someone who thought their jacket was gonna save them if they made sure to zipper the pants to it and thought they could try that blind corner just a little bit faster this time because they had their Batman suit on.

We are all keenly aware of the risks we take when riding. If some of you out there are not aware how vulnerable you are riding a motorcycle I suggest that you get as much body armor as you can afford as soon as possible. Your chances of surviving a major accident are a lot better if you are driving a car, not as a result of the kind of clothing you were wearing while riding, as the advocates of such clothing have claimed. And if you think riding a bike with body armor on makes you invulnerable, then you need to get a car and drive it to the exclusion of your motorcycle. Listen to your father telling you, I will only warn you this one time you fool, buy yourself a car now and get rid of the motorcycle immediatly. You shall never ride that motorcycle again, do you hear, this is your mother talking to you. Enough said. You should take the $500 you would spend on that suit of armor, and the proceeds of selling your bike and put a down payment on a car. That is the only sensible conclusion to this argument. Or maybe a bus. Or better yet, one of those big wheeled 4x4's that get 6 mpg, so you can see what's happening ahead in traffic. No, better yet you should get a :helo: :blabla: :eek:

Try to accept that I write this with tongue in cheek. Motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Even if you try to dress for danger you are many more times likely to die or suffer serious debilitation driving a motorcycle than a car even if you're dressed for danger. So protect yourself get a car.

DKC

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Oh my....:caked::kiss:

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    it did't really sound all that tongue in cheek. but wearing full gear doesnt make me feel like bat man or invincible, it makes me feel safe to wear the gear and I know that if I go down I'm not gonna donate my skin to the asphalt.....and all these "millions of riders " around the world, have you ever seen one get hit by a car or wipe out? I have and it sure aint pretty... I'll stop here for now

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow are there any longer posts? great writing skills, but Whoa!!.. BTW I like the helicopter take.

9. VfMattf

VfMattf New Member

Well I'll just chime in on the whole getting inexpensive gear when you can afford it. I recently got a good armored jacket and armored pants from Motorcyclesuperstore.com. They were both on sale for far less than the MSRP (99/299 for the jacket and 79/249 for the pants)

I would highly recommend checking the closeout section at Motorcycle Superstore regularly. I am positive anyone can find some decent protective gear if you just look for it.

10. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Now thats talking cents!

I like it. Even I could pay that kind of price for protection. That's better than the deals on craigslist. Those poor bastards paid the full price and are trying to recoup 75% or 50% of their outlay. You can't beat those prices with a stick. And it's new stuff, so you have no worry about getting kooties from the first owners sweat glands. Did you have to pay shipping? Sales tax? I declare you are a gentleman and a scholar sir. You have put the rest of us helots to shame with your healing balm of sensibility and humanistic good humor. Why the whole world could ride with protection at those prices. Bartender, a drink for our friend.

And for those who are trying to bandy about age as a means of gaining some sort of moral or wisdom based high ground I'll let you know that I am 63 and still growing smarter, I hope. But, sad to say that there are still "no fools like old fools" (something like that, I admit I never understood who it was in reference to). I, like Pyro, still have all my fingers, although I have worked on high speed machinery all my life, and to date I have managed to avoid "skinning" by motorcycle misadventure per my native born wit or wisdom (I'm not sure which), knock on wood, and praise be.

Now if somebody would kindly point me in the direction of an inexpensive but compentent mender of leather goods I will wish all you gents a good day and be off to mend my riding apparal, such that it is, and look after a V45 gas tank that is getting the electrolytic rust removal treatment this evening. :biggrin:

And one last thing before I go: GET A :car: LITTLE MONKEYSHINES. The only armor is made out of STEEL :peep:. You can drive with a wall of it around you if you'll get and drive a :car:. :wave:

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That's me on the front. See....I don't take chances...I wear ATGATT

12. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

I Love It!

ROFLMFAO

I love you guys :biggrin:

DKC has certainly given me a lot to consider lol... I really appreciate all you guys chiming in, and giving me some alternatives. I will be checking out the closeouts on several new websites now :thumbsup: and I've recently acquired a new girlfriend who I will be forcing into the ATGATT mentality. I may be ok with a vest, as is my choice, but i refuse to endanger my passenger unnecessarily. From what I've seen, passengers suffer even harsher effects in a crash on average...

btw, DKC... I priced helicopters, and uh... they were just too far outta my price range to consider at this moment in time :p

13. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    You know people even still DIE in cars. When I first got my license I got to say i had to get over the fear of other drivers going the opposite direction. I kept having nightmares of what if a driver decides to be suicidal and crash into me at 55 mph?

And I got to say this is what started my little rant with speed limits and all. There's a empty road near my hometown that has a speed limit of 55 mph. But let's face it, 2 cars hitting each other head on at 55 mph.... chances are nobody's getting out alive. The G-forces alone are enough to kill you.

If you want to be truly safe and ensure that you'll live longer, just stay home all the time. Get people to deliver groceries, movies, hookers, etc... But come on, who wants to live a dull life like that? :thumbsup:

14. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Another Arizonan weighs in...

You CAN have protection and decent comfort when 100 or above with leather. Cyclegear has the Dainese Laguna Seca jacket in white perfed leather for sale right now for $350. I have it and it is a great jacket and as cool as one can get without a cooling vest underneat (which is a good addition for comfort). Good luck/stay safe!

15. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    This seems to be one of those topics that will go round and round without any resolution. I happen to be a proponent of ATGATT, so I think you can guess what my opinion is on this.

There are risks associated with anything we do - we all know that. But common sense can go a long way towards survival, regardless of the circumstances.

Rather than talk about what can happen on your bike, car, 4X4, tractor or anything else, here are a few more possibilities for you Pyro. I understand you are on a budget, but I only hope, for your own sake, that you do give some consideration to protecting your hide.

Jacket
    Fieldsheer High Flow 2 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

Pants
    Alpinestars ACR Air-Flo Mesh Motorcycle Pants :: New Enough, LTD

Another Jacker
    Vanson Vent Max 3 Mesh Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

16. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

Pants caught my eye :thumbsup: thanks mate!

17. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

$109 + tax + S&H = $130-$135?

Now I want you all to get up and reach for your wallets. I propose that a collection be taken up for poor PyroMcNoob before he makes the big mistake of waking up on the day that God has chosen to spread him like strawberry jelly across some big street intersection if he hasn't gotten his regulation mesh jacket with zipper, his regulation zipper pants and his regulation zipper boots. Oh hell lets just take up a collection and get him a car. No lets wrap him up in cellophane, put him on a shelf and feed him through a straw for the rest of his life. That ought to save him!

DKC[/QUOTE]

:eek: $130 is still too rich for my blood. If you have that kind of dough spring for it. I like a deeper discount than that. Still, if you spring for it you'll satisfy the crowd, and no one knows how much that is worth? I have to keep looking on Craigslist and hoping I don't get scroufula from the previous owners jocky shorts I guess. :eek:hwell:

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    DKC - Do you have to continue to put a negative connotation on everything here? Pyro is interested in getting gear, and when he makes a comment about "liking something", you rebut with comments of "you'll satisfy the crowd".

I don't suspect that you're a fool, DKC. You're well spoken and articulate, but your need to make the continuous negative comments and sarcasm doesn't help.

19. DKC'sVFR

DKC'sVFR New Member

Balance or self righteous clamor?

I've been riding and driving cycles since Steve McQueen tried to jump the the barbed wire on a BSA in "THE GREAT ESCAPE". I didn't notice him wearing zippered mesh underwear and wicking gloves or even a helmet. Now that I think about it, I was riding before the helmet laws went into effect. And I'm here to prove that "sensibility" combined with a sufficency of fear, is a large part of survival when it comes to riding a motorcycle. Furthermore, I am here to state my opinion that "sensibility" , not clothing choice, is the major factor in surviving when driving a motorcycle. Like I pointed out earlier, if you are dressed to the nines in riding gear when Mr.Quicktruck blows the stop sign and you are going a legal 45 or 50 when you crash into his truck bed and break your neck, all those clothes did for you is dress you up for the funeral.

I grew up with EASY RIDER as a role model. That was back when riding a motorcycle was an individual statement, sort of like Pyro's riding attire, rather than an exercise in group think. My hero was Bob Dylan sitting on the stoop of his brownstone in a Triumph T-shirt about a year before he almost bought the farm out riding at night totally loaded. He managed to survive breaking half the bones in his body including a couple of vertebre. He spent a year in a hospital bed, but when he got back on his feet again he did not become a poster boy for motorcycle safety. He never came "knock knock knocking on" my door to tell me to wear a safety harness when engaged in risky behavior. He expected the facts of his "accident" (p.s. I don't consider riding loaded at night an accident, whether the clod was wearing a brass girdle or not. I consider it suicide!) be sufficient warning to anyone considering emulation. He made his choices and bore the consequences of his actions like the :cool: guy (man) he is. The english speaking world might have lost its premire rock artist/poet of his time, voice of his age, and I would have mourned his passing, but so be, it was his life and he made the decisions, and God Bless his right to do so, and God Damn the xxxx who tries to take that right away from any man or woman. That's the choice each of us make if we get out of bed in the morning whether we know or like it. :behindsofa: Mr. Quicktruck is lurking in every corner, whether it be in the form of a heartattack or failure of restraint in the last turn you ever didn't make it through.

Peer pressure sucks, man :yousuck:! Pyro can make up his own mind, and I'm just letting him know that there are some of us out here who speak their minds for what you may deem 'negative' but which I deem as merely 'opposite', as in "opposed to your, and those who are aligned with you, view that there is some sort of moral high ground in dunning an individual into accepting and conforming to your :grouphug: prejudices' and caveing into group pressure. Your POV ,may be correct for you but it does not necessarily follow that it is therefore correct for everyone, all the time, and in every case.

In closing there is a 1st Gen. member who has a restored 86-7 VFR 750f as his Avatar, who is an Army guy whose tag line saying goes something like this:

"If everybody is thinking (saying) the same thing then nobody is thinking."

attributed to Gen. Patton

I think I remember seeing a picture of the General in his tunic and Ivory handled 45 cal. pistols, riding a Harley Davidson twin (could have been an Indian) without his mesh riding suit on.

DKC

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  20. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    DKC FOR PRESIDENT