Gen 5 - many regard as the best example of the breed ?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by John451, Oct 3, 2016.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Nice UK overview summary on the history of the VFR, gotta like belows paragraph extracted from the segment on the Gen 5, sure it's a controversial one but thought it worth posting in the 5th Gen Forum area. :cool:

" In 1998 Honda went back to the drawing board and completely revised the VFR. In doing so they created what many regard as the best example of the breed – the fantastic VFR800Fi. "

Tiny Url link to review:
    http://tinyurl.com/BennetsVFRreview

Original direct link:
    www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/history-honda-vfr

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I would like to read it but the link doesn't work for me. I can only assume the author must bave written the article before the 8th gen came out? :playful: j/k, I've never ridden any other generation of VFR so I'm not qualified to compare, but if the 5th IS better than the 8th it must be one fantastic ride - it certainly looks great.

3. Stubbsy

Stubbsy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Mmmm yep now youve gone and done it!! just sold my red(the fastest colour)5thgen last summer worst decision ive ever made.Then bought a yellow high miler....pile of crap my fault.Then i went all modern a bought a Suzuki GSR750 and HATED it! rubbish seat poor, fuelling snatchy throttle just not for me.Soooo never owned a vfr750(could never find a nice one in my price range) got my eye on a 750 refurbished red one owned by an engineer...reason being OIMHO the 5th gens brakes come on guys all them relays and extra m/cyl on the forks and the double rads....now if they had just stuck with the gear driven cams for the 6th now your talking. IMG_0486.jpg

4. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Definitely not.

5. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    Best of breed? I won't argue too much, as mine is a 5th gen. BUT... The 5th gen isn't perfect.

Charging system. Not as marginal as the VTECs, but definitely under-designed.

Linked brakes. They work OK, not the same as unlinked, but you can adapt your riding to take advantage. Not worth the added complexity.

Side radiators. Let the engine sit farther forward for better weight distribution. This could have been done other ways which wouldn't have caused cooling problems with air flow at low speeds. Using an off the shelf fan which sucks the wrong direction and leaving half the coolant without a fan doesn't help.

Surging at low engine speeds. Unfortunate choices of EFI, PAIR valve, and snorkel interaction. The engine could use a bit more flywheel IMO.

Many of those faults aren't unique to the 5th gen and are shared with earlier and later models. All are mostly fixable. Replace the R/R with a MOSFET unit and replace/remove the under-size connectors. De-PAIR and remove the snorkel flap. Change the fan air flow direction and add fan(s) on the right rad.

All that said, over all the 2001 VFR is my favorite bike. I've owned lighter, faster, better handling bikes, but none which have the balance of sound, performance, long-distance comfort, and refinement, and I wouldn't trade it for a new one.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Best ? Na, that's to bold of a statement, to many variables, all though, very close, but in that, depending on where one is and wants vs. likes too. So yea pretty damn close. Yet, so close it's frustrating Honda didn't go a couple more steps. I mean come on now, they have the suspension components in stock all ready, then those brakes, Really was it that necessary? shm, That aside, I'll say, LOL like we don't all ready know, it's a Very Fine Ride.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Everything is pretty debatable and opinionated, but lets all hope that the 8th gen is the best of the breed for charging systems, as 1-6th gens are all pretty terrible lol.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia

Unsure why link doesn't work direct, have made as Tinyurl link below to jump to it.

" http://tinyurl.com/BennetsVFRreview "

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    My "99 5th Gen mk1 I've owned since '05 has no surging, had made the pair valve mod after they partially stuck open about 7 years ago but preferred the snorkel back in place as out seemed to make the low end a bit "fluffy" so put it back in noting lowest practical revs for me is about 3,500rpm.

The surging in the '03 build 6th Gen I'd owned earlier from new was terrible, sure a PC can fix the early 6th Gens but my 5th Gen doesn't have one and it's fueling is perfect, wonder if it's more a problem of the ECUs programming when they added a Cat ?

10. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Thanks John, the new link works good.

Good read, but as I suspected it was written/posted on April 4th, 2014, well before the 8th gen's international press launch held in late April in Alicante, Spain. Therefore, while the author and "many" others may have seen some pics and some specs there's probably zero chance he had actually ridden the 8th gen yet which is the only way to have a full appreciation of what its like in order to compare it to earler gens.

11. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    The cat added yet another thing which affected the air-fuel at low speed. Closed loop running is enabled above 3000, as is PAIR operation and snorkel activation. At low speed, these systems interact, causing the O2 sensor to think injectors are too lean when air is injected into the exhaust ports, etc. The early 5th gen fuel injection runs open loop, so it doesn't have that feedback loop. With mods mine can be run on gentle throttle as low as 2500 RPM, but it won't pull cleanly at open throttle below 3500 or so. The firing order leaves too big a hole for a strong pull at low revs. My VF750 with a different firing order and a heavier flywheel pulls smoothly as low as 2000 RPM. I'll trade the loss of low end any day for the top end performance of the VFR.

12. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Hmmm...I think I am mistaken about the date of the Alicante, Spain thing - I was going off the date of a youtube video about it. But I found this VisorDown review dated April 2nd, 2014 ( http://www.visordown.com/features/road-tests/first-rides/first-ride-2014-honda-vfr800-review ), so perhaps the author of the April 4th article that is the subject of this thread had in fact already ridden the 8th gen - in case anyone cares but me - lol.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yup, its all about disabling the o2 sensors, to eliminate the Closed loop feedback issues.

14. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    There's no doubt the 5th gen is the best of the VFR's. Gear driven cams, excellent styling without the Transformer look of the later models, excellent riding position. It has some issues, but what bike doesn't? It's not perfect but the 1999 VFR is the best of the bunch, hands down. Problem solved.

15. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Oddly a question had recently been wrestling the last few months with, do I spend the required big bucks on major service, new chain/sprockets, Ohlins shock rebuild, new fork springs/seals etc or bite the bullet on a new motorcycle.

Just picked up my rejuvenated Gen 5 from my trusted mechanic this morning was totally worth it. :biggrin:

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    You lost me at styling.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I never have ridden a 5th gen---can you actually hear those cams? love my 02 but sure like aloooot the right side single high pipe. Has anyone ever made a tail for the 6 gen with the under tail cut outs deleted? Would love ta change out my exhaust like the 5 and 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Absolutely. At times they even seem louder than the aftermarket exhaust. They're quite audible in this video, sounds almost like a supercharger winding up. Really noticeable at the end while the rider is downshifting.

[video=youtube;TxPOpr07oJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxPOpr07oJs[/video]

19. Stubbsy

Stubbsy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Yep!!!!!6th gen is pretty looking thing just with a non vfr engine stuffed in it!:eek-new:(750 fv)still the best styling ONLY my view:topsy_turvy:

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    New motorcycle. New is new. Old costs more money than it's worth.