Gen 6 Cam problems poll

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by geezerider, Oct 3, 2006.

?

Have you had to repair your 6th Gen Cam chain?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

19 vote(s)
    95.0%
  3. Unsure, replaced it during rebuild to be safe.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. geezerider

geezerider New Member

I'm new to VFR's although I'm not new to motorcycling. I've owned bikes since 1965.

All my motorcycles had cam chains, except my restored '83 CX650. None of them ever had a problem, including my '05 VFR. Granted, the VFR only has 13K miles so I don't have a lot of experience with it.

I've read a lot of schmaltz on various forums concerning the lack or reliability of Honda Cam chain systems, so here's an attempt to actually gauge the level of the perceived problem.

Gen 6 owners, have you ever had a Cam Chain or Tensioner problem that required tearing down your motor? If so how many miles when it happened? If not, how many miles on your bike to date?

2. seadooloo

seadooloo New Member

No problems, and want to keep it that way. 18,500 mi and counting.

3. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

The problem is not the cam chains , but Hondas cheap Cam chain tensioners. Honda cant seem to make a tensioner woth a crap, thats why I ride a 5th gen with gear driven cams...When the tensioners go bad and you keep riding the chains going from slack to tight will eat at the cam chain guides ...I had the same problem on 1983,1984 VF750F models I owned and believe me its a pain to change them out ...Most noticeable at idle as the rattling noise can drive you nuts..

4. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I had a problem with gear driven cams on my 87 vfr700!!!

Brand new bike, after about 6 months, the backlash spring retainers on a couple of the cams broke, causing a helluva racket. Very lucky there was no secondary damage.

Honda replaced them for free - but theres a vote against gear driven cams.

Any one who likes the whine of the gear driven cams, heck - its engine noise. Should be looking for a quiet engine.

Anyhows, no one ive heard of has had a problem with the tensioners.

5. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    My cam chain tensioners on my cbr are in the early stages of rattling. Usually at lower rpm or when you let off the throttle. Its a common problem in the cbr 600's. If you are on a cbr forum they don't ask if you replaced them but when...... The vfr might not be quite as bad. I don't think I would want to try doing that job myself on the v-4 though.... can't even see the motor with the fairings off!!! I ordered an 07 rwb anyway. My local dealer isn't sure how long it will be but it doesn't matter much now that its 27 outside.

6. Rev

Rev New Member

I'll stick with my gear-driven cams, thank you very much.

7. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Lets look at stats so-far

If you look at the poll with " how manymiles does your VF / VFR have"
    theres 45 bikes out of 96 that have over 20,000 miles on the dial.

or nearly 47%

Assuming 47% of bikes on this poll are over 20,000 miles, that would mean 5 of the 11 bikes who answered this poll have over 20,000 miles, and none of them have had cam chain problems.

I know one of the 11 bikes in this poll have had gear driven cam problems before 3000 miles was up.

Therefore we could say 9% of bikes have gear driven cam problems before 3000 miles, that would mean 8 bikes of the 96 in the "how many miles" poll have had problems before 3000 miles.

But seriously. :confused:

Honda fixed the gear driven cam problem early.
    And VFRs dont have any cam chain or tensioner problem.

CBRs are a race bike, with which you would expect more maintenance.

Chain or gear drive cams - its not an issue.

Long live the VFR - Gen 5 or 6. - + Gen 7 & 8

Im hoping for a sport version VFR800R Gen 7 (based on the new MotoGP)
    to keep all the rev head VFR Fans happy. It doesnt need to be 1000cc, that just brings me back to the VF1000 days. The VFR 750 was a huge step ahead of the VF1000. 1000 sounds common. What about a VFR996R

AND retain the Sport Touring VFR800F - perhaps with fully adjustible suspension, dont care if it has gear or chain cams, dont care if it has VTec or not, but it cant loose that vtec low down torque. How about a VFR886FI
    Keep the ABS and the Dual Linked Brake option. Keep the single swing arm. Yes another 20hp or so. More torque? Helibars and Sargent seats as a factory option. Better looking and sounding stock exhausts. Id pay a few more bucks for one. Ultimate bike for me.

8. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    I'm with you on the R and F versions of the next gen VFR. Maybe that would keep both camps happy. The only problem would be that since the race bikes are the CBR models wouldn't HONDA continue the trend of following Moto-gp with a CBR and not a VFR? That racing connection always brings something extra to a model line and everybody seems to want the VFR to become more of a pure sportbike but be carefull what you wish for. I ordered my VFR because I want the mix of sport with some comfort that the CBR no longer offers in the new bikes(remember the CBR600f used to win best overall supersport with great balance, usability, and refinement) and the V4 has much more character than an inline 4. I'm happy the bike is as great as it is today. I will be putting a Staintune exhaust on though....gotta let that V4 roar.

9. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    You raise some good points, why would Honda put a V4 in MotoGP when inline 4s are the standard race bike?

Simple, V4 take up less room, narrower bike, more aerodynamic & slightly lighter (shorter crankshaft)

Same reason why they made the V5 motogp bike.

Funny how they dropped the v4 as a production sport bike. I figure that the v4 is a bid dearer to produce. 600cc lends itself to an inline 4 as they can make them reasonably narrow and way cheaper to produce.

Honda obviously stopped developing the v4 production bike, as a lot of people have said, they would easily be able to produce a v4 with 150 or so hosepower. But why not?

Inline 4s are easier to make. Most sales go to sports bikes. Produce a sports bike, cheap to make and sell them.

But wait, Motogp is now 800cc. Honda have huge experience and technoloy advantage with the V4 around that capacity (VFR - 1986 to date)

Will Honda reflect that development in thier sport bike lineup? (Gen 7 & 8)

I dont know.

10. MrDe

MrDe New Member

"AND retain the Sport Touring VFR800F - perhaps with fully adjustible suspension, dont care if it has gear or chain cams, dont care if it has VTec or not, but it cant loose that vtec low down torque. How about a VFR886FI
    Keep the ABS and the Dual Linked Brake option. Keep the single swing arm. Yes another 20hp or so. More torque? Helibars and Sargent seats as a factory option. Better looking and sounding stock exhausts. Id pay a few more bucks for one. Ultimate bike for me."

+ and keep the weight down ... would send me back to the showroom. :biggrin: