Givi Windscreen

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by baldridp, Dec 4, 2014.

1. baldridp

baldridp New Member

Map
    Hello,

First time poster on VFR World, but lifelong rider. I'm resuming riding again after a four year break following a bike vs. cage accident (still kept riding the dirt bike and quad). I broke a wrist, injured my neck and back, but survived. I said that I'd never ride again after having been involved in two previous incidents, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I've ridden mostly sportbikes in past, but decided that a bike with some slightly relaxed ergonomics would be better. So, in October I purchased a 2014 VFR800 Deluxe. I love the bike, but felt it needed some improvements. So far I've added the Honda bar risers, a Kaoko throttle lock and most recently a Givi windscreen. I purchased the screen from AMR moto parts in Italy since no one in the U.S. was carrying it yet. The screen is 3 inches higher than stock and has a light smoke tint to it. The sides have a slight aerodynamic shape to them and they put the wind right at the top of my helmet and redirect the wind blast away from my torso and shoulders. Combined with the bar risers, I think that I'm a very happy guy! I've attached pictures of the screen for those that are interested. The screen was 105 Euro or about $140 U.S. shipped. Not a bad price and from order to ship, it took 15 days to get to my house. The Kaoko throttle lock is model HND31. Electronic cruise control should have been included on a bike that costs this much...oh well. Next mod is the Remus exhaust with carbon fiber can.

DSC_0045_5.jpg DSC_0046_5.jpg DSC_0047_1.jpg

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and Welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

Great to see photos with your first post :thumb: and yet another RED VFR on the streets. :vtr2:

When you get a chance you may want to update your forum profile "Forum Actions/Edit profile" to include the bike specs and a rough location (City/State) so they appear automatically alongside all your posts, and you just might find there are folks nearby to meet-up with.

Take care

SkiMad

3. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome. I find it interesting that you did exactly the same thing I did to my wife's 2008 VFR800. GIVI wind screen and a throttle lock, although I am using a Breakaway throttle lock from a ST1300. I bought my GIVI in October 2014 from Revilla.

My wife is 5' 4" and what we noticed with the GIVI was a lot of wind noise. We use SENA headsets and I get a lot of wind noise from her head set with the GIVI. It seems that the wind hits her right in the face shield. We put the stock screen back on and from a noise point of view it was better but now the wind hits her under the chin. This week I made a Laminar Lip for the stock screen. She will be testing on tomorrow. After mounting in the stock screen it is 1" taller than the GIVI. If successful great if not I will mount on the GIVI and see what happens.

But I have lost nothing on this endeavor. The plexiglass was $15 and it will make 2. I learned how to bend this stuff without breaking it and it does not look to bad for a first design. It is secured to the stock screen with dual lock Velcro (this stuff is great, no more messy fuzzy stuff) so it can be moved up and down or removed completely in seconds.

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been thinking about getting one of those throttle locks (thanks for providing the part #). How was the task of getting the stock insert out of the bar? I know on my 07, it was a major pita!

5. m14dgt

m14dgt New Member

Throttle lock??

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, throttle lock. It's a mechanical cruise control that holds the throttle open. The most well known one is the Throttlemeister....Google is your friend ;-)

7. m14dgt

m14dgt New Member

Ah, never seen those before!! I've just got an Oxford cramp buster(£5) which I just rest on and it holds throttle in place instead of having to grip the throttle.

8. baldridp

baldridp New Member

Map
    Removing the throttle tube insert wasn't too difficult. I used a deep socket that was the diameter of the handle bar (not the throttle tube), a couple of washers and a bolt that was threaded the same as the factory bar end. You basically put the socket on the end of the handlebar, place the washers over the opposite end of the socket and put the bolt through the end of the whole assembly and thread it into the insert. The process works like a gear puller in principle. As you tighten the bolt, it threads further into the insert and pulls it closer to the end of the handle bar.

9. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

Nice new red VFR! Love it!

10. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Let's have a look at your creation, inquiring minds,,,,,,,,,,you know:playful:
    John

11. MotoPumps

MotoPumps New Member

United States
    Map
    My Givi just arrived. Can you detail the installation procedure? The real question for me is what has to come apart?

Thanks-
    Rob

12. baldridp

baldridp New Member

Map
    Installation is rather easy. First remove the allen head bolts on the underside of the dash (represented by yellow arrows). Using a thin tool (similar to stereo installation tools), pry apart the dash at the location shown (red arrows). Separate the upper and lower parts of the dash just enough to get access to the two bolts (one on each side represented by green arrow) that hold the top portion of the windscreen in place. Once these bolts have been removed, slide the original windscreen upwards and back to allow the two hooks on each side to clear the upper fairing. Reinstallation is just the opposite. Caution: Use gentle force when prying on the plastic pieces as they may crack. This took me all of ten minutes to complete. I also installed a Two Bros exhaust the other day. The price was too good to pass up at Star cycle.com . They had the exhaust for $479 minus 10%, making it $431 delivered. It sounds great.

2014 VFR.jpg VFR Dash.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Ashok likes this.
  13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I have not seen the new VFR before.
    Thanks for the pics and welcome to the forum.

14. MotoPumps

MotoPumps New Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome instructions! Thanks very much. All mounted and I didn't even break anything. Took a bit longer than 10 minutes as it is 30 degrees in the garage and not very bright, but the instructions got me through. Really appreciate it.

The Givi looks nice on the bike. I think the improved wind protection and the bar risers will really help with touring miles.

Thanks!
    Rob

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    To bad they dont have a hi mount exhaust minus the passenger pegs. It's a shame to hide that wheel. Still looks awesome and bet it sound great.
    Sound bite? And make sure ya rev it a tad.....:D

16. donalli

donalli New Member

Map
    Are there any dark smoke windscreens that are same size or smaller than the stock windscreen. For the 2014 honda vfr

17. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    For anyone fitting a new screen, there are 5 clips in the front, plus one either side on the coloured panels that are attached to the piece you're unfastening (red, black, or white depending on your bike). The best way to unseat these is to push back and then down on the lower panel (the one you're unfastening). Start at the corners where the windscreen corner is, and work your way around.

20150324_193803.jpg 20150324_193748.jpg

18. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    Dude I got a chubby when you said
    then I reread what you wrote. I've been wanting the Breakaway forever and a rep told to I could try it but no guarantees on fitment. I never got it to work on my 05 or 07 and think it's a shame they don't have these for VFRs.

19. tommyghawaii

tommyghawaii New Member

I bought a Givi wind screen for my 2014 Interceptor. Like you said, it increased the wind noise. I like quiet with Bose Q20 ear buds. I took the Givi off and went back to stock. Very disappointed in the Givi, I'm 5' 7".

20. VFRnewbie

VFRnewbie New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Hi Tommy - Sorry to bump an old thread, but could I ask you about the ear buds? You wear noise-cancelling earphones when you ride?
    I really struggle with wind-noise when riding (I like quiet too!), and wear ear plugs, but do not find them particularly effective. Do your noise cancelling earphones work well? Do they work to cancel ambient noise even when not playing music/sound?

I'm looking at a givi touring screen for my 2000 VFR800, but am unconvinced that it's gonna do the job (I'm 6'6" ish, so it's certainly not gonna cast me entirely in smooth airflow, but I'd be happy if it raised the airflow to helmet level...), and I'd love to find some method to protect my ears a little more - I feel like I'm gonna be half-deaf in a decade or two at my current rate...