Going to the mountains to shoot some guns...

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by dlman, Mar 26, 2007.

1. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently sold my XM15..just didn't love shooting it. May pick up HK91 knockoff, but its pretty heavy, any experience with them? Thought of Ak style, but I thought the Bush felt super clanky so not sure id be happy. Maybe a Ruger? Thoughts?

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey VaRollon!

I have no experiance with the HK knockoffs, but a friend of mine put togther an Israeli FN-FAL, and it was heavy. But I have to say, accurate and the weight ate up the .308 recoil. I know its not the HK, but somthing similar if you are looking for a heavier battle rifle.

My opinion is get an AK. If you are looking for accuarcy there are a couple companies in the states that put together AK's and they are known for accuracy. They cost a bit more, but I don't think you can go wrong. Parts are plentyful and cheap. A 30 round Ak mag will cost between 10-15 bucks, were HK, FN, AR mags all seem expensive. There are tons of companies that carry AK parts and again, expense is not high. They are easy to take apart and clean. If you have never broke down an AK, after you do you'll know why every group with a cause uses one...simplicity. And less I forget longevity! I have about 15, 000 rounds through mine and no problems. I did replace my recoil spring for kicks. The only down side in AK World right now is the price of ammo. I was buying 7.62x39 for 70.00 a thousand. It was Russian hollow point with a green laquered steel case, non-corrosive. Now its 150.00 a case because our government is buying it all up and sending it to Iraq. So supply is down and demand is up!

I guess its all in what you want and how much shooting you do. You got rid of the Bushmaster, which I don't blame you!

For what little shooting I do now, the AK fits the bill!

BZ

3. dlman

dlman New Member

Rugers are good but the owner is antigun so I boycott them.
    Bushmaster is good, I like it and I wouldn't sell it. (its my brothers hes in the marines right now and I told him I would keep it safe)
    The CETME, HK-93 are really good and as soon as I can find the money I will add one to the collection. HK-91 is the 9mm MP5 knock off if I am not mistaken.
    The M203 is a grenade launcher. I had to look it up.
    249Gulf is the saw. Its the 5.56mm replacement for the M-60.

I like em all and they will all have a place in my home. I am a softy like that I guess.

Get an AK they are nice. It will spark your love of shooting all over again.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm not familiar with the acronym SAW, but the 203 is the under barrel mounted grenade launcher for the m-16. It is a one shot deal with different shells for different purposes. It's been a long time since I fired one, but I remember thinking they were pretty fun and it allowed a member of the fire team to get a grenade out much farther than lobbing it and yet still have the rifle for picking off shots or using auto to lay down cover...

5. dlman

dlman New Member

Sqaud Assault Rifle or Sqaud Automatic Weapon. I think its the latter though.

6. dlman

dlman New Member

As good as I am with AK knowledge I have no idea what the grenade launcher for the AK is called. You see them mounted under the barrel of those terrorist videos. I wonder if they make those to shoot flares like the 203?

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for clarifing the military numbers for the SAW and M-16 grenade combo.

I can't remember numbers half the time LOL. I know it when I see it though!

8. dlman

dlman New Member

Bushmaster web site has some nice stuff there. I think I want to get one of those fake grenade launchers for my AK. Some people hate it when I put AR stuff on my AK but I love it if it works for me.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey dlman!

Found some drums! I should be receiving a call tonight from the gentlemen, Randy, who was selling them.

I think he had 75 round Romanian ones. But don't quote me on that.

Once I know, you'll know!

Thanks for being patient.

BZ

10. dlman

dlman New Member

Bubba,

That is good news. I have been looking to get a drum ever since 2003 when I got my first AK. The price has to be reasonable though. That has always kept me back.

David

11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Bad News dlman.

Randy called me back. He had 75 round Romanian drums for 70 bucks each and he had sold them all some time ago.

He was the last person I knew who had some for sale. The only thing I can suggest now is check out Shotgun News for drums. J&G sales had Romanian 75 rounder for 99.95 with shipping should be 110.00.

Well I put the word out in my old shooting community and if I hear something I'll let you know. I still look at Shotgun News too, so if I see something, I'll let you know!

TTYS!

BZ

12. dlman

dlman New Member

Oh well, at least you tried. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for them at the next gun show. I would rather get one that I can touch at the show than have one shipped.

13. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    dlman:

I've ordered from J&G before, ammo and clips, and I have always been pleased.

BZ

14. dlman

dlman New Member

What kind of clips did you order? Mauser or Garand? I like magazines myself.
    It case you didn't know I am busting your balls over the difference between clips and magazines.

What is the link for J&G?

I guess now you will have to part with one of your drums???

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I know you are LOL! I just ahve the bad habit of saying clips when I men magazines:tongue:

When I lived in Maryland I once watched an arrogant gun store clerk upset a women who WAS purchasing a Sig Pistol. She seemed very knowledgable, but when she asked if she could purchase a few extra clips, the guy red her the riot act?! She walked out and then he turned to me and tried to justify his behavior. I just told the guy: "Hey, it was a misnomer, and I don't think it was worth losing a sale over".

Long stiry short I knew the store owner really well and when he found out I was around when that incident went down he asked what happened. The guy was around much longer after that, he had an attitude it seemed everytime I was in the store. It seemed if you disagreed with him on anything, he'd be a jerk. It was funny to watch!

BZ

16. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
  17. dlman

dlman New Member

Thanks for the link. I guess you heard all the stories about clips v magazines. But until the SC rules on it your either a magazine crowd or the people spreading lies about clips. Sounds like the gun control argument in a nutshell doesn't it?

I will get back to you after I look around that site some.

18. dlman

dlman New Member

19. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry for the slow response, I have dial-up so I don't watch youtube...sorry!

Anyway, in the latest edition of Shotgun News, Interarms is selling Romanian 75 rounders for 88 bucks!

Just wanted to keep you posted!

BZ

20. dlman

dlman New Member

Thanks, but is that their website too?