Gps

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ralph66, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    FWIW ... I don't have a GPS for my bike anymore. I prefer maps and a map pocket on my tank bag. I will on occasion use my phone for GPS directions if required and use it in my RAM mount.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Man, I'd never go back to tankbag and maps. I love being able to look down when I'm at an intersection and immediately know which way to turn. No more finding my location on the map and then figuring out which way to turn. Especially bad when there's cars behind, impatient cars at that. :glee:

3. Silas

Silas New Member

United States
    Map
    I just today mounted my Garmin Nuvi 550. This is the 3rd bike it's been on.
    I like it because I don't have yo wire it up. I carry 2 spare batteries and each gives about 5 hours.

AND I just received the TELfERIZER expander plug for the hollow steering head bolt. Just insert it into the hole, tighten it to expand the rubber plug, and that's it! Use a short Ram extender and clamp it to ball. I like to swing it to the right of center next to handlebar.
    So easy! When go inside, just unscrew the Ram extender , lift it and Garmin off.
    Shipped from England, the TELFERIZER is about $40. Cheap if you ask me, for the clean uncluttered look.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. staffybull

staffybull New Member

United States
    Get the ram mount. With x grip to fit your device . (smartphone. )Done deal. works great. I have an auxiliary power outlet to keep phone charging also if needed. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Audible

Audible New Member

Australia
    Map
    Do you actually need to look at the screen on a GPS for guidance?

A lot of these GPS's & phone apps talk you thru the route as well. You could plug in a pair of ear buds and listen to the instructions as you go. I have some Tom Tom gps thingy in the car. I don't need to look at the screen, just listen to the instructions.

I usually select the female voices as I'm well used to being told where to go by the ladies....

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I never get lost. Learned a long time ago that if I keep riding, I'll enjoy the ride and get somewhere familiar. ; )

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    another tomtom Rider user - Had the Garmin 550 - couldn't sell it fast enough, didn't find it user friendly

8. Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have a Garmin Zumo 590 and use it both in the car and on the bike as it came with a cradle for both applications
    It has been so far the best unit I have owned and I have tried Tom tom ,Navman, and a couple of the cheaper Generic bike specific models

This one had the all the bits in the box and was a doddle to wire into the bike and mount to the tank bolts of the 6th gen and so far it has survived being dropped onto concrete drenched for 8+ hours in pouring rain and 10+hours riding in -2 temps and it still works without issue

And lifetime maps to boot

I have it paired with a Sena 10 headset and also my nexus phone it all plays well together and is crystal clear even at hiway speeds and callers don't even realise you are on the bike

Not that you really need a GPS in NZ you can't really get lost but it is helpful finding business or residential address's on the first visit and checking your speed as well as location of speed camera revenue raising devices