Grip Removal and Installation

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by V-FouRce, Jan 7, 2008.

1. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    Anyone know of a good way to remove old grips? And install. I found some nice grips that have the VFR logo on them and would like to change them out.

Thanks, V4Dan

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  3. PhatPat33

PhatPat33 New Member

There are a couple of ways to remove grips.

1. cut them off if you don't need 'em (careful that you don't scratch the bars especiall the throttle side.

2. Liquid soap and water in a spray bottle. Get under the grip and spray and twist ( I've used this technique. Takes a short while, but it works. Putting the new ones on takes a little patience.

3. Use an air compressor with a small tip at the end that will fit between the bar and the grip. (I haven't tried this yet, but someone said that it was the easiest thing they have ever done)

You can do it.

4. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    use a flat blade screwdriver to lift the end of the grip and insert tube from WD-40 spray can as far as possible. Spray a second's worth of WD-40 and push tube in further while twisting back and forth on the grip so the lube breaks down the glue. repeat until you get the grip off. It took me 30 seconds per grip and I didn't need to worry about a knife cutting anything.

The hairspray I used (AquaNet super hold) stopped holding after a month, so I'd used a better adhesive. Then again it was the cheapest spray at Walmart....

5. OKCVFR

OKCVFR New Member

I use this method and have never used adhesive and never had problems with grips moving. I even use the WD-40 to put them back on.

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I hadn't had problems with the hairspray until now, I think the heat from the grips liquify the stick again, so it's adhesive I think. The inside of the heated grips are rifled/slotted/channelled and have only about half the surface area to grab as regular grips.

- Paul

7. V-FouRce

V-FouRce New Member

Map
    very useful tips, didnt really have a clue until now. BTW I like derstukas new avatar!!!:biggrin: