Handlebar conversion

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by daffyduck1962, Jul 10, 2017.

1. daffyduck1962

daffyduck1962 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0180.JPG Im struggling with fitting my handlebar conversion. ABM version from Germany but appears to be the same as your LSL version.
    Current problem is having rerouted the clutch line around the outside of the left fork, and disconnected the throttle cables at the throttle bodies. I have rerouted the cables over the top of the air box as recommended in the very sparse and hard to understand instructions.
    My current problem is reconnecting the cable that opens the throttle. There is not enough slack on the cable to reconnect it, despite slackeningoff all the adjusters.
    Does anyone know how I can reconnect it without damaging the cable?
    Is there any other advice anyone can offer with the remaining installation process?

2. HellFishTat

HellFishTat New Member

United States
    Map
  3. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I am re-doing my bar conversion right now, so you are in luck as I have a good 411 to share.

Your second pic. shows the cam at the throttle body end. The plate holding the ends of the cables still at that end is held on by two screws, one larger, one smaller. Remove those two screws and the plate comes loose. You will now have slack to remove the bottom cable from the cam at the throttle body end. Now you will have the slack you need at the throttle end to remove the cables from the throttle tube. I also backed off the upper cable and rely on the adjuster at the throttle end of the cable housing to adjust free-play. That makes adjustment easier, and also gave me even more slack when it was all loose.

Removing those two screws can be a BUGGER as they are on tight from the factory, and the space is cramped. I used a super flat 1/4" ratchet with flex head, and I cut down a #2 phillips bit. Using my short 1/4" socket, just the tip of the bit stuck out. It all fit nicely in the space, and I could use my left hand to really put pressure against the screw while I turned the ratchet. Worked so well, that I didn't change out the screws to allen heads, although I did buy two new screws from the hardware store to make sure the heads were nice and sharp for installation.

Jose