Harley brake recall

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Lint, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    First off, from the beginning, I think this is the most retarded recall I've ever heard of.

Harley is recalling up to 175k plus bikes because if you don't do your own damned maintenance and change your brake fluid Every. To. Dammed. Years, LIKE IT SAYS IN THE OWNER'S MANUAL!!!, then supposedly something corrodes in the ABS and you could lose your brakes.

WTF???? What's next, Harley pays for your oil and tire changes too? Can I fill up my bike for free if I get a Hog? Because 43 people have crashed because they are STOOPID, Harley now had to shell out $250,000,000 dollars to pamper their lazy ass pirate crew. This is coming at a time when revenue is already down for the company.

Again, it's great that Harley is stepping up to the plate on this, but damn, they really shouldn't have to.

2. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Blame litigation. IIRC someone sued in the states after killing their cat trying to dry it in the microwave. Won their case too.

duccmann, Lint and fink like this.
  3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Then again, what is it that makes their ABS corrode? I know of a few riders, probably even some on here who don’t do their due diligence with maintenance, I’m sure brake and clutch are among those neglected. There has to be something more to it IMO.

Even the story about ladie who sued McDonalds regarding the coffee had more to it. If you read the whole story you’ll find that she had severe burns, not only to her legs but to her genitalia as well, lots of medical bills and in general suffered a great deal. It was the lawyers and spin doctors that portrayed her as being an idiot.

Lint likes this.
  4. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I watched that documentary with my kids as part of a lesson in the basics of law. She went through hell with that.

I suppose there is more to it than we know.

5. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    I remember when HD sued Honda and when they tried to trademark exhaust sound...

6. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Obviously two sides to a story. If someone spilled it on her, fine, if she spilt hot coffee on herself, how is the seller to blame? We all know hot coffee is, erm hot.

Lint likes this.
  7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'd have to say look up the details but from what I remember, it was the exceedingly high temperature that was the issue. I'm still trying to figure out how leaving brake fluid in a line will corrode an ABS component...

8. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    The issue came from the temperature of the coffee. In the name of profit, McDonalds purposefully set the coffee temp to a dangerous level so that people could not drink it. It would have to sit and cool before it was safe to drink. This is not a matter of some people liking their coffee hotter than others, it was physically impossible to drink the liquid without causing 3rd degree burns. The reason for this would be that people that were eating inside would not be able to get refills (or as many refills) because of the excessive temperature. The ruling against McDonald's was a very well thought out message. One single days profit of coffee was the dollar amount. Of course, the news didn't say it like that. They just vomited a number and called it huge. The original amount was $2.86 million, but was later settled out of court.

Think about that, almost 3 million dollar a day in profit from just coffee alone because they were intentionally screwing their customers.

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Google the documentary, McDonald's tried to f*ck her hard. She deserved every penny.

marriedman likes this.
  10. tomcatek

tomcatek New Member

Poland
    What's the documentary name?

Btw, nice thread. From HD brakes to coffee with a detour thru McDonald's ;)

Lint likes this.
  11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Well Harley's do stop for coffee often. So, it's a somewhat logical segue. Or is that better at 9:00 in the morning?

After hearing that video I posted on my earbuds, I put it on my surround system with a 500 watt 10" subwoofer. That way I could feel it as well as hear it. I REALLY want to see a launch in person now!!! My kids jumped when the sonic booms hit! 1

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018