Has anyone had a 6th generation VFR and upgraded to the 7th generation?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by d1a0v1e, Oct 3, 2015.

1. d1a0v1e

d1a0v1e New Member

United States
    Map
    I currently have a 6th gen. VFR800 (2007) 35K miles. Runs perfectly with no major issues. It's pretty much stock, the only thing I've done is install a Zero Gravity windscreen. Anyway...I've come across a 2010 VFR1200 (Non-DTC) with 3K miles, and with hardbags for a smoking deal. I took it for a test ride and was expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. It wasn't a bad experience, but just different than I thought it would be. The engine seems buzzy and more noisy, I really thought it would be more throaty and growly than my 6th gen. The reason I'm really looking at the 7th generation VFR is the fact that it has a shaft drive and ABS. I'm so tired of cleaning and lubing the chain. I really love doing some trips with distance and not having to think of your chain really appeals to me. And of course the ABS speaks for it'self....it would be nice to have that little bit of safety margin.

So is there anyone out there that has made the jump from 6th to 7th generation? What are your thoughts? Would you do it again? Do you regret selling your 6th gen? I appreciate any feedback that I can get.

2. Jashue

Jashue New Member

United States
    I traded my 2008 for a 2010 about a month ago. "Delighted" is a complete understatement in describing how I feel about my new ride. Where I enjoyed the vtec crossover in the various Honda automobiles I've had over the years, it annoyed the hell out of my on the 2008. Tooling around town below the crossover was awesome-- I loved the sound if that engine at lower rpms. I also loved the wail at 7,000 plus. But what about moderately spirited riding? Having the thing surge just before upshifting wasn't in the least bit pleasant to me. I hated that aspect of the bike, to be honest.

Now the 2010... I'm with you about the sound. I miss terribly the howl of my 2008. Low rpms to the top-- I loved every bit of it! Comparatively speaking, the sound of the 2010 sucks and it will definitely be getting an aftermarket exhaust-- which is something that I am nervous about (I'm not looking to get too loud, I just want a better aural experience). I'll probably get a Dam exhaust, as it's pretty quiet (from what I've read) and it seems more true to the intended aesthetics of the designers (same but better, really).

Having made those two points though, the issue that trumps everything else with regard to the two models is POWER. Oh my lawd is the Seventh Generation a rush!!! I haven't yet had the ECU re-flashed and the thing is still a complete and utter hoot. The experience after 80 mph is like nothing I've ever had. It is in a completely different league than the Sixth Gen. I'm pretty conservative with regard to speed (I'm terrified of speeding tickets), but this rocketship is the most fun I've had in years.

The appearance of the Seventh Gen is divisive. I myself didn't know what to think when it came out. It looked like something from Battlestar Galactica. After a few days of looking at it in my driveway though, I think it's as beautiful as any bike I've ever seen. It really grows on you and the fit and finish of the Seventh Gen is impeccable.

It's late. I Live in Upstate NY. It's October and it's cold outside. I think I'm gonna go for a ride now...

If you have any more specific questions, fire away.

3. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I went from a 5th gen to a 6th and lastly to a 7th gen. I loved so much about my 5th gen, I was hoping that the 6th gen would be the same, but better. Honestly, the only thing the 6th gen had over the 5th in my opinion is looks and ABS. I just never clicked with my 2007. I ended up only keeping her for 2500 miles then sold her and bought my 2010.

The speed and power of the 5th gen was everything I needed and wanted, but I really wanted ABS and an more modern electrical system. That is why I went for the 6th gen. As much as I wanted to love the bike, it just had no soul. Now there are many people that ride 6th gens that love them, and many of those people are better riders than I and/or have been riding for years longer than I have. But as the old saying goes, there is a bike for every butt. The 6th gen wasn't for my butt.

The 7th gen & I clicked immediately. On the test ride I was left slack-jawed at the power and braking. Maneuverability for me was better than either my '99 or my '07. I was pulling figure 8's on it and parking lot maneuvers as if I had been riding the bike for months instead of mere minutes. The balance is unparalleled in my experience. The display is familiar enough that it becomes old hat soon enough, and even the funky horn/turn signal switcheroo they pulled becomes second nature quick enough.

No bike is perfect, I swapped the footpegs for some Buell ones and I really want a custom seat. Other than that though, I haven't done anything else to it. I will be getting the ECU flashed now that I am accustomed to the power of the bike. I only want it to smooth out 1st & 2nd gear though, I don't want the top speed raised or anything like that. The engine sounds like a sewing machine compared to the music of the 5th gen, but I will forgive the exhaust note because of the shaft drive being so awesome.

I will say this though, if you test rode the thing and did not come away impressed or at least intrigued, I would pass on the bike. You can't force yourself to like the thing. Sure, you may learn to like it or grow accustomed to it, but life is too short to own a bike that doesn't set your heart racing from the get-go.

4. Elkwood

Elkwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I moved from a 2007 vfr to a 2010 1200 vfr. I had the 2007 vfr nearly 3 years i believe and was
    never totally happy with it. Not a bad bike just not a great one.

The 1200 i picked up was a left over demo and i paid around 5k boot with my 800 as trade. The power on the
    1200 was what sold me. I love the acceleration and the sound with the 2 brothers pipe. I had a buzz bomb on it
    that really changed the first 2 gear feel of the bike. Btw i have the dp killer in the 2 brothers pipe. Without it damn thing
    wake the dead !!

The only 2 dings i had with the 1200 so far is the seat tearing in the upper left corner and i had the ecu go out on it.
    Honda covered the ecu. Dealership harassed me about the buzz bomb so i took it off.

I do it again in a heart beat. The 1200 was more in tune with what i want out of a bike.

5. d1a0v1e

d1a0v1e New Member

United States
    Map
    I appreciate the replies....the one I was looking at is still available...I'm still mulling it over. I think I'm going to take it on one more test ride before I make a decision one way or the other. Thanks for the input.

6. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    I traded a 2003 VFR 800 for a brand new 2013 non DCT VFR 1200. I have been smiling ever since. I love the black and silver. My ONLY complaint is the fuel gauge is a joke like so many other bikes. Just keep track of miles and you'll be fine.I also come along side what others have posted about the sound, nothing quite like the growl of the 6th gen bike. I haven't been able to rack up a lot of miles on the bike as I travel quite a bit, but so far i love the 1200. Not big on mod'ing ECUs or anything else for that matter, plan on just riding the bike as stock as i can for a couple of years.

7. Underoath87

Underoath87 New Member

United States
    Map
    6th gens are available with ABS. And a Scottoiler completely takes care of chain maintenance if set up properly.

8. mcenthusiast

mcenthusiast New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry I'm late to the conversation. I have a 2007 800 and purchased a 2012 1200F. I thoroughly enjoy both bikes. I purchased the 2012 to replace a BMW used primarily for long distance tours. I prefer the ease of the shaft drive when traveling rather than having to lube a chain at the end of each day's ride. There were some subtle improvements to the 2012 model, which made it more desirable to me than the 2010 model. Reviews I read before purchasing the 2012 model indicated the power is intoxicating and the handling is so intuitive that is borders on telepathic. After putting a little over 14k miles on it in two years, I agree totally with the reviews. I really appreciate the power for passing very quickly or traveling across Nevada and Utah when cruising at 85+ mph. I have heard a couple of people describe a bike they have as making them a better rider. I never truly understood what this meant until I purchased and rode the VFR1200F. This bike makes me a better rider! Hope others benefit from my sharing my personal experience with the 2012 VFR1200F. Other than adding a rear wheel huger, mine is completely stock. I plan to keep it this way other than maybe changing the windscreen. My only problem with the stock screen is that the face shield on my helmet fills with remnants of bugs rather quickly. I also purchased the Honda hard saddlebags. If it helps, I am 5'9" and about 170 lbs.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016