Helibar Group Buy - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Jeff_Barrett, Mar 12, 2015.

1. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Out of all the bars in think heli would still be my first choice, if they were a reasonable price. We know they fit and work without any problems, so all the adjustability of the apex and Danmoto is not a plus for me. They also look flimsy, like a tip over would bend them. The lsl kit looks well made but I think the bars included aren't much taller than stock. Haven't hade time to talk to my machine shop yet, hopefully later this week

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Since Heli is popular is many places and that the dudes from Canada are getting hosed on getting the bars across the border, Heli might be able to suggest a shipping method to bypass all that bureaucratic crap the dudes from the great frozen North have to put up with.

In sort of a counter move, when the SV 650s first hit the street somebody in Japan decided that the US bikes would be imported sans fairing. An uninstalled fairing was available at added cost, and way pricy. The folks in Canada got the faired models that were aboot 300 pesos more. Some of the Canadian dealers figured out a way to sell faired SV's and they sold a shitload of them to US buyers.

The moral of the story is....?

3. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, if you and others are stuck on HeliBars - hang tight then, as I'm working with a retailer as well for a bulk sale on HELIBARS as an alternative.

Regarding the Apex - these are well known with the track guys and get very good reviews - do a search on them. They are manufactured in MI I believe.

4. rockandride6

rockandride6 New Member

I would be in for a group buy for sure for a 6th gen.

5. GMark

GMark New Member

Canada
    Map
    Will hang tight until you report back from the retailer. Yes, stuck on Helibars.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    OK, folks ... I finally heard back from the retailer (http://www.sporttour.com/)

They will do 10% off the cost of HeliBars (apparently there's not a lot of margin on them) if 10 or more of us buy from them.

I'm just working out the details on how we go about placing the order - stay tuned!

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    1. Me
    2. Smooth
    3. Jerritt
    4. GMark
    5. tyarosevich
    6. nismo350zed
    7. HRCCBR
    8. Rockandride6
    9. RDMCD (maybe depending if he can get used ones locally)
    10. Red99RC46 (BIG maybe??)

So ... we'd need both RDMCD and Red99RC46 to commit, or find an extra 1-2 guys to make this work.

I'm a little slow to respond right now - I'm on a business trip in Ottawa

8. GMark

GMark New Member

Canada
    Map
    When you get the chance, let us know the price per helibar set, cost of shipping, and if the retailer is based in US or Canada?

9. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Guys, as I said before I would only be in at the $200 range. I will have to drop out, sorry!

Jeff - have you tried spoiledbiker.com? They sell the Heli's for $279 all day long which is just about 10% off already. maybe they could do something with 10 at a time orders?

Shipping to Canada....I have a few Canadian customers that somehow have a shipping address in the US? Usually a PO box but some are streets. I presume they are close to the border and I have no idea what they do when they go back home over the border but they say its much quicker and cheaper? Just a thought if anyone here has any knowledge of these things......

10. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm still waiting for the used set. The owner has his 5th and 6th gen for sale but is only selling the one that goes first. If it's the 5th he'll sell me the bars. Sorry but if we're getting 10% off the 300 us price I'm going to be out on the Heli deal. I talked to my machine shop guy. He needs exact dimensions and what materials ( if anybody can post them that would be great ). If he can do something around $ 250can or less I'll let everyone know.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    They are in Cincinatti, OH and list the bars for $298 USD. www.sporttour.com

If you gotta drop out, you gotta drop out ... maybe you can contact them for us? I've sent a bunch of emails, and to be honest, if we can't all figure something out soon, I'll be going it alone as I want to get my bars ASAP.

Regarding shipping to Canada - use a parcel service just inside the US border that I ship to. Most Canadians who live closer to the border have one or know of one in their area. ;)

Nothing to be sorry about. We all have an expectation for what we're willing to pay. Let us know if anything pans out with your buddy ... I think I'm going to go the HeliBar route myself, though.

12. GMark

GMark New Member

Canada
    Map
    Just letting you know that I am still game for the group buy, if it can come together. Price ($298) is same as the manufacturer; shipping will also likely be the same. The true killer is the 25% mark up due to USD to CND exchange rate, but will be the same regardless of US supplier.

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll have enough people.

Sorry guys, I gave it my best shot - I'll give it a few more days, if we can't pick up a few extra guys to get us to 10, then we'll officially close this thread.

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys, I guess it's time to call this one dead - we just don't have enough guys interested. I'm really sorry, I tried my best to make this work for everyone. :(

I ended up picking up a set of Convertibars for my 6th Gen.

15. 12bravo

12bravo New Member

Well, maybe try Heli again in November, for the rest of us?

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    You're more than welcome to give it a shot organizing a buy ... :)

17. smooth1

smooth1 New Member

Ya gave it your best Jeff....Thanks man ,,,,Convertibars? wow that was a big change of heart. Do they pull back or higher than Helis?

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
  19. 12bravo

12bravo New Member

Yup, perhaps for this up again next Sept for a list build, and call Heli-Bars.

However for the 1200 owners, check the Converti-Bars site for their 1200 "P status rebate" opportunity @ 40% off.

http://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/Honda-VFR1200F-2010-Bike-Specific-Kit_p_170.html

That may not be for everyone, but a 40% "rebate" for doing a little beta work is over $120 off.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Your Price: $611.25 Converted that's 11 million Canadian pesos.